Dreaded which camera question

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Crispybojangles New Member • Posts: 2
Dreaded which camera question

Im torn between an 80D or switching ship to a sony. I currently own an SL2 with a couple of lenses (50mm/ 1.8, 10-18mm Wide, and the kit 18-55mm), speed light, and thats about it. My thought process was buy a higher end APS-c camera so i can still use the accessories i have on hand from the SL2. My camera is used to shoot real estate photography, capture video of home renovations, and take portraits of my family, but I temporarily moved to Germany for a couple of months for work. I left the camera at home so the family could use it and I planned on buying another to capture photos here. Primarily the shooting i will be doing here will be touristy shots of old buildings and such in various towns.

Now that you know what i have and need a new camera for please give me a recommendation: (try to keep dollar amount in the 1500-2000 range)

Canon 80D with what lens?? I feel like the sigma 18-35 or canon 17-55???

OR

A sony with which lens? Im primarily drawn to sony for its impeccable track record and low light shots.

Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 18,215
Re: Dreaded which camera question

Sony does have an edge for low light. But replacing the Canon 10-18mm for a Sony will be costly.

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
techie takes pics Senior Member • Posts: 1,115

You are not buying a standalone new camera; you should take into account how you will deal with two cameras when you get back. Your options are:

Duplicate your camera, augment it, upgrade it.

Duplication (buying a similar camera) seems a waste of money.

Augmenting would be a smaller, cheaper camera that could do what your current camera does not - something smaller, a take-anywhere camera. This could be any brand or system because it needn't be compatible with your current camera. Could even be a Lumix LX100 or a Micro Four Thirds camera.

Upgrading means either the high-end APS-C or a full frame, or even a mirrorless (APS-C or FF).

There is some sense in sticking with Canon for APS-C or Full Frame but only for DSLR.
If you go mirrorless  (either APS-C or FF), there is no real need to stay with Canon; your current lenses are not so special that you want to keep using it forever on an adapter; and the native glass you will get for the new mirrorless won't be backwards compatible - so it might as well be Sony then.

-- hide signature --

You don't need a new camera, you need a new lens.

techie takes pics's gear list:techie takes pics's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
rochester21 Senior Member • Posts: 1,212
Why?

You never said what was wrong with your kit in the first place.

You could get a sony rx100 to compliment your canon stuff...much easier to carry and use.

OP Crispybojangles New Member • Posts: 2

Thanks for all the replies.

Nothing wrong with the current kit, its just that its in the states and i'm in Germany. I want to travel and take advantage of things I may never see again, hence the need for a camera here while my family uses my current set up. Also, I dont mind having 2 sets of camera gear, but I would probably dedicate the Sony to just one

I could probably use two cameras for when I flip houses. It's kind of a hassle to set up time lapse shots while also trying to shoot b roll and general videos of work thats being done... while also doing the work to the houses. Then wide angle shots for listing and website update.

I guess I should of proposed a sony camera to compare against the 80D. Im assuming the fair comparison would be something in the A6000's? An a7ii would probably be an unfair comparison, but thats currently whats got my attention.

Tony Bologna Regular Member • Posts: 120

I love Canon cameras but unless I have the budget to buy into the RF system I'd choose something else. My preference is to pick a lens and then buy a body for it. In that case and with your budget that'd be a Sony 16-70mm F4 and something like an A6500

Bob
Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,227
The reason it's a dreaded question...

is because there is no "right" answer.  All the top brands make good cameras.  They all take good pictures.

Norm Neely Senior Member • Posts: 1,912

Crispybojangles wrote:

Im torn between an 80D or switching ship to a sony.

Read the OPs comments on the 90D

"Selling 90D and reverting back to 7D Canon 7D Mark II"

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4461945

7D MK11 review

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/7d-mk-ii.htm

Hopefully you can find a nice used Canon 7D Mark II in Germany.

If not KEH ships to Germany.

https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-20-2-megapixel-digital-slr-camera-body-only.html

-- hide signature --

Norm

Norm Neely's gear list:Norm Neely's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Olympus SP-550 UZ Canon EOS 40D
stevenj2
stevenj2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,033

Crispybojangles wrote:

Im torn between an 80D or switching ship to a sony. I currently own an SL2 with a couple of lenses (50mm/ 1.8, 10-18mm Wide, and the kit 18-55mm), speed light, and thats about it. My thought process was buy a higher end APS-c camera so i can still use the accessories i have on hand from the SL2. My camera is used to shoot real estate photography, capture video of home renovations, and take portraits of my family, but I temporarily moved to Germany for a couple of months for work. I left the camera at home so the family could use it and I planned on buying another to capture photos here. Primarily the shooting i will be doing here will be touristy shots of old buildings and such in various towns.

Now that you know what i have and need a new camera for please give me a recommendation: (try to keep dollar amount in the 1500-2000 range)

Canon 80D with what lens?? I feel like the sigma 18-35 or canon 17-55???

OR

(I never had Canon..) but anyway, how about M6 ii mirrorless 32 mp Canon APSC with a nice lens or two besides the kit?

Since three are now EF-M lenses from Sigma, Tamorn, Meike, 7Artsians, Rokinon, besides Canon. Also can get adapter for EF-S to EF-M.

A sony with which lens? Im primarily drawn to sony for its impeccable track record and low light shots.

stevenj2's gear list:stevenj2's gear list
Ricoh GR II Nikon D750 Sony a6300 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +33 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads