Switching from iMac to MacBook Pro Help

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 3,823
Re: Switching from iMac to MacBook Pro Help

paul wassermann wrote:

lightandaprayer wrote:

JPAlbert wrote:

OP asked:
"Do you think the entry level Macbook Pro 2020 would be powerful enough to do basic video editing and A9 RAW Files? Or should I opt for the faster processor more storage model?"

If you can afford it, I'd suggest the faster, 4-port MBP 13".

Just wondering, why a MacBook?
Did you consider the 2020 Mini...?

It's actually a 2018 Mac Mini. . . I just finished setting up a refurb from Apple.

I really also need the portability of a laptop...

I understand. . . I read your earlier post.  I was replying to JPAlbert regarding the actual year that the current Mac Mini was released. What with the new ARM models coming next quarter and all, labeling it 2020 Mac Mini might confuse someone down the line.

OP paul wassermann Senior Member • Posts: 1,713

Tom_N wrote:

paul wassermann wrote:

JPAlbert wrote:

OP asked:
"Do you think the entry level Macbook Pro 2020 would be powerful enough to do basic video editing and A9 RAW Files? Or should I opt for the faster processor more storage model?"

If you can afford it, I'd suggest the faster, 4-port MBP 13".

Just wondering, why a MacBook?
Did you consider the 2020 Mini...?

Thanks...I am getting the $1800 MBP. I need a laptop to interface with a 27 inch monitor also to be purchased. Then can have both worlds, portability and desttop like computing at home.

If the 2009 iMac that you mentioned in the original post is a 27" model, you could use it as a Mini DisplayPort display for the new machine.

Apple – Use your iMac as a display with target display mode

This would let you:

• Use your 27" iMac as a "free" display,
  • Replace it with a 27" display of your choice, or
  • Get a 27" display of your choice, and use the iMac as a "free" second display

It sounds like you've lucked out, and gotten one of the good iMacs for this purpose. Target Diisplay mode did not exist before 2009; became much more restrictive with Thunderbolt-equipped iMacs, and disappeared entirely on iMacs with 5K screens.

Thanks!  I didn't know that was possible.  My imac is 21 but if I can interface the laptop with it I might hold off on the 27 monitor for now.

paul wassermann's gear list:paul wassermann's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a6600 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +6 more
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 18,192

paul wassermann wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

If the 2009 iMac that you mentioned in the original post is a 27" model, you could use it as a Mini DisplayPort display for the new machine.

Apple – Use your iMac as a display with target display mode

Thanks! I didn't know that was possible. My imac is 21 but if I can interface the laptop with it I might hold off on the 27 monitor for now.

Unfortunately, I believe that the only 21.5" iMacs that support Target Display Mode are ones introduced between 2011 and mid-2014.  The feature first appeared on 27" iMacs, and took a couple of years to make its way into the 21.5" line.

By then, the introduction of Thunderbolt probably forced Apple to choose between (1) adding a second port that had the same shape as the Thunderbolt port, but was a Mini DisplayPort only, or (2) making iMacs work only as Thunderbolt displays.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads