Switching from iMac to MacBook Pro Help

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
paul wassermann Senior Member • Posts: 1,673
Switching from iMac to MacBook Pro Help

Planning to finally get a laptop/monitor and retire my 2009 iMac.  Need advice/help re getting lightroom to work on new machine.  Presently I have my apps on the iMac hard drive, but the files are on external hard drives.  Concerned that once I have Lightroom Classic installed on the new macbook pro, it won't be able to find the files.  If someone could give me a play by play script for accomplishing this transfer I would be very appreciative.   Thanks.

paul wassermann's gear list:paul wassermann's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6600 Sony a7R II Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +6 more
maccam
maccam Senior Member • Posts: 1,274
Re: Switching from iMac to MacBook Pro Help

paul wassermann wrote:

Planning to finally get a laptop/monitor and retire my 2009 iMac. Need advice/help re getting lightroom to work on new machine. Presently I have my apps on the iMac hard drive, but the files are on external hard drives. Concerned that once I have Lightroom Classic installed on the new macbook pro, it won't be able to find the files. If someone could give me a play by play script for accomplishing this transfer I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

Make sure your aps will work on 10.15. 32 bit aps wont.

JAW

maccam's gear list:maccam's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Sony a6600 +14 more
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 17,961

Unless the 2009 iMac is running Lightroom Classic 8.4.1 or better on High Sierra, there is going to be a migration from a 32-bit version of Lightroom Classic on the iMac to a 64-bit version on the new one.

A few considerations:

1.  If you let Migration / Setup Assistant copy an old Lightroom Classic to the new Mac, you won't be able to use it to upgrade, uninstall, activate, or deactivate itself.   Adobe says that you can remove old versions using the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool.  I do not see anything saying what happens to associated data.  The data I would worry about is the catalog, as it is inconceivable that the Cleaner would delete referenced RAWs and JPGs.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/macos-catalina-compatibility.html

2. If the iMac is running an old version of Lightroom Classic, you might want to upgrade it to High Sierra, and the latest version of Lightroom Classic, before moving to the new Mac.  If the new Mac never sees the old Lightroom Classic, you should sidestep Catalina-related installation and activation issues.

3. Adobe uses activation DRM.   Even if you plan to keep using the iMac as one of the two allowed computers, and even if you do a "clean install" of Lightroom Classic on the new Mac, it would probably be good to deactivate the copy on the old Mac prior to setting up the new one.  You can reactivate it afterwards.

4. You might want to read Apple's notes on how to  Set up your new Mac and on How to move your content to a new Mac .  Also TidBITS' article on How to Migrate to a New Mac .  The new Mac will offer you the choice of whether to transfer your data at setup time, or later.  For reasons described in the TidBITS article, doing it at setup time – or doing your own "clean" manual transfer – may be preferable to using Migration Assistant.

5. If you do a "clean install" of Lightroom Classic on the new Mac, it will not know about any of your photos at first.  You will want to tell it where your photos are located, and your preferences (referenced vs. managed) for importing new ones.

One plan:

1. Back up everything on the old iMac (internal and external) and disconnect all of the backup disks.

2. Upgrade the iMac to High Sierra . Without this, you can't upgrade Lightroom Classic enough to get to a version that is compatible with Catalina.

3. Upgrade Lightroom Classic to the latest version.

4. Check that everything still works on the old iMac.

5. Deactivate Lightroom Classic (and other such programs).

6. Make a backup of the upgraded iMac disk. This can be a Time Machine backup or a clone (Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper) backup.

7. Turn on the new Mac for the first time, and plug in the backup disk from step 6. You will probably need a USB-C to USB-A adapter or cable ($5 – $20).

8. When the new Mac asks if you want to copy over applications, settings, etc. from another computer, tell it yes, and point it to the backup disk from steps 6 and 7. Doing this at setup time will avoid the "Migration Assistant can't merge accounts" issue identified in the TidBITS article.

9. Activate Lightroom Classic on the new computer.

10. Connect external photo drives, using USB-C to USB-A adapters or cables.

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,198

Check out the LightroomQueen.com for her tutorial/blog about how to move Lightroom to a new computer. There is a rather clear explanation and even a free book describing what to do. (In the past what I have done is a clean install of Lightroom on the new computer, then copy the full Lightroom Catalog upper level folder from the old computer to the new computer and point Lightroom to it.) Moving Lightroom to a new computer is a simple process; don't overthink it or make it more complicated than it is. Read these before you do something complicated.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/moving-lightroom-free-ebook/

OP paul wassermann Senior Member • Posts: 1,673

Tom_N wrote:

Unless the 2009 iMac is running Lightroom Classic 8.4.1 or better on High Sierra, there is going to be a migration from a 32-bit version of Lightroom Classic on the iMac to a 64-bit version on the new one.

A few considerations:

1. If you let Migration / Setup Assistant copy an old Lightroom Classic to the new Mac, you won't be able to use it to upgrade, uninstall, activate, or deactivate itself. Adobe says that you can remove old versions using the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool. I do not see anything saying what happens to associated data. The data I would worry about is the catalog, as it is inconceivable that the Cleaner would delete referenced RAWs and JPGs.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/macos-catalina-compatibility.html

2. If the iMac is running an old version of Lightroom Classic, you might want to upgrade it to High Sierra, and the latest version of Lightroom Classic, before moving to the new Mac. If the new Mac never sees the old Lightroom Classic, you should sidestep Catalina-related installation and activation issues.

3. Adobe uses activation DRM. Even if you plan to keep using the iMac as one of the two allowed computers, and even if you do a "clean install" of Lightroom Classic on the new Mac, it would probably be good to deactivate the copy on the old Mac prior to setting up the new one. You can reactivate it afterwards.

4. You might want to read Apple's notes on how to Set up your new Mac and on How to move your content to a new Mac . Also TidBITS' article on How to Migrate to a New Mac . The new Mac will offer you the choice of whether to transfer your data at setup time, or later. For reasons described in the TidBITS article, doing it at setup time – or doing your own "clean" manual transfer – may be preferable to using Migration Assistant.

5. If you do a "clean install" of Lightroom Classic on the new Mac, it will not know about any of your photos at first. You will want to tell it where your photos are located, and your preferences (referenced vs. managed) for importing new ones.

I'm 77 and not tech savvy at all, so I didn't really understand your detailed help, but certaiinly thanks!  I have the most recent version of Lightroom 9.3 and may have to take my imac into local apple affiliate and have them accomplish the setup and transfer for me.

Sony a9 Sony a6600 Sony a7R II Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +6 more

CameraCarl wrote:

Check out the LightroomQueen.com for her tutorial/blog about how to move Lightroom to a new computer. There is a rather clear explanation and even a free book describing what to do. (In the past what I have done is a clean install of Lightroom on the new computer, then copy the full Lightroom Catalog upper level folder from the old computer to the new computer and point Lightroom to it.) Moving Lightroom to a new computer is a simple process; don't overthink it or make it more complicated than it is. Read these before you do something complicated.

Thanks...I believe I can figure out how to move the catalog folder to the new computer, but not sure how one "points" Lightroom to the catalog and its referenced files.  I think I might be best served to actually have someone do this for me hands on...

paul wassermann wrote:

CameraCarl wrote:

Thanks...I believe I can figure out how to move the catalog folder to the new computer, but not sure how one "points" Lightroom to the catalog and its referenced files. I think I might be best served to actually have someone do this for me hands on...

Please take the time to read the info in the links I sent you! It is highly unlikely that anyone you will take the computer to will understand Lightroom unless it is a local LrC expert. I would hesitate to take it to, for example, The Apple Store and let them mess with it. My experience with the folks there is they may understand the Mac world, but that is where their expertise ends.  This is really quite simple to do; don't let anyone scare you into complicated cloning and data transfer schemes. Read the book linked above before doing something that will cost you money or that you may regret.

CameraCarl wrote:

paul wassermann wrote:

CameraCarl wrote:

Thanks...I believe I can figure out how to move the catalog folder to the new computer, but not sure how one "points" Lightroom to the catalog and its referenced files. I think I might be best served to actually have someone do this for me hands on...

Please take the time to read the info in the links I sent you! It is highly unlikely that anyone you will take the computer to will understand Lightroom unless it is a local LrC expert. I would hesitate to take it to, for example, The Apple Store and let them mess with it. My experience with the folks there is they may understand the Mac world, but that is where their expertise ends. This is really quite simple to do; don't let anyone scare you into complicated cloning and data transfer schemes. Read the book linked above before doing something that will cost you money or that you may regret.

Thanks...will read the info this weekend, expect to purchase the computer next week.  Do you think the entry level Macbook Pro 2020 would be powerful enough to do basic video editing and A9 RAW Files?  Or should I opt for the faster processor more storage model?

paul wassermann wrote:

Thanks...will read the info this weekend, expect to purchase the computer next week. Do you think the entry level Macbook Pro 2020 would be powerful enough to do basic video editing and A9 RAW Files? Or should I opt for the faster processor more storage model?

Sorry but I am not an expert and don't know anything about the 2020 computers. Adobe has a list of the recommended minimum specs for Lightroom. These are only the minimum. If it were me I would double the minimum and buy accordingly.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

paul wassermann wrote:

Do you think the entry level Macbook Pro 2020 would be powerful enough to do basic video editing and A9 RAW Files? Or should I opt for the faster processor more storage model?

Were you looking for a 13" or 16" laptop?

With the 13" models, I would go with the high-end one – one with a 10th-generation Core i5 processor, four USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) ports, and a 1 TB SSD. With 16" models, you could start with the entry-level one, and customize it with a 1 TB SSD.

One way to save money is to watch the Refurbished section of the online Apple Store. To give an example, a low-end 13" 2020 MacBook Pro costs $1300 and a high-end one costs $2000. If a high-end one showed up in the Refurbished store, it would go for $1700.

That $400 over the cost of the low-end model would be money very well spent – and all that you would really lose (vs. a new $2000 one) is a fancy box.  For $300, I think I could learn to live with a plain shipping box.

pixelgenius
pixelgenius Senior Member • Posts: 4,208

paul wassermann wrote:

Concerned that once I have Lightroom Classic installed on the new macbook pro, it won't be able to find the files. If someone could give me a play by play script for accomplishing this transfer I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

Using Migration Assistant to go from computer A to B?

You might not have to do anything, the 'links' from Catalog to images may carry over. But if not:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/locate-missing-photos.html

If you have all the images cataloged in one folder, it's very easy too, option click on the main folder, select "Update Folder Location" and you're done. Bottom line is showing LR where the folder(s) are from within LR itself, it will then recreate the 'links'.

jf_tea Senior Member • Posts: 1,466

Tom_N wrote:

One plan:

1. Back up everything on the old iMac (internal and external) and disconnect all of the backup disks.

2. Upgrade the iMac to High Sierra . Without this, you can't upgrade Lightroom Classic enough to get to a version that is compatible with Catalina.

6. Make a backup of the upgraded iMac disk. This can be a Time Machine backup or a clone (Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper) backup.

7. Turn on the new Mac for the first time, and plug in the backup disk from step 6. You will probably need a USB-C to USB-A adapter or cable ($5 – $20).

8. When the new Mac asks if you want to copy over applications, settings, etc. from another computer, tell it yes, and point it to the backup disk from steps 6 and 7. Doing this at setup time will avoid the "Migration Assistant can't merge accounts" issue identified in the TidBITS article.

This is a good plan.

My migration of LR 6.x was from an iMac with Sierra to a MBP 2019 with Mojave. The migration of LR went smoothly. (But I did get permission/ownership problems on some folders in my home directory. I did fix them, eventually).

My pictures (RAWs, etc) were on a different volume.

I moved the location of my Lightroom folder at the same time. It was fine.

-- hide signature --

-JF

jf_tea's gear list:jf_tea's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M1 +10 more

jf_tea wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

One plan:

This is a good plan.

My migration of LR 6.x was from an iMac with Sierra to a MBP 2019 with Mojave. The migration of LR went smoothly. (But I did get permission/ownership problems on some folders in my home directory. I did fix them, eventually).

My pictures (RAWs, etc) were on a different volume.

I moved the location of my Lightroom folder at the same time. It was fine.

Thank you!  I am about a week away from acquiring the new Macbook Pro and feel much more confident I can make the change.

JPAlbert Contributing Member • Posts: 897

OP asked:
"Do you think the entry level Macbook Pro 2020 would be powerful enough to do basic video editing and A9 RAW Files? Or should I opt for the faster processor more storage model?"

If you can afford it, I'd suggest the faster, 4-port MBP 13".

Just wondering, why a MacBook?
Did you consider the 2020 Mini...?

Martin JC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,078

paul wassermann wrote:

Planning to finally get a laptop/monitor and retire my 2009 iMac. Need advice/help re getting lightroom to work on new machine. Presently I have my apps on the iMac hard drive, but the files are on external hard drives. Concerned that once I have Lightroom Classic installed on the new macbook pro, it won't be able to find the files. If someone could give me a play by play script for accomplishing this transfer I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

I don't know how urgent your need to change is, but the ARM macs might come online soon.  Check some sites and see if you want to wait for these...  -- martin

Martin JC's gear list:Martin JC's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill

JPAlbert wrote:

OP asked:
"Do you think the entry level Macbook Pro 2020 would be powerful enough to do basic video editing and A9 RAW Files? Or should I opt for the faster processor more storage model?"

Thanks...I am getting the $1800 MBP.  I need a laptop to interface with a 27 inch monitor also to be purchased.  Then can have both worlds, portability and desttop like computing at home.

lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 3,761

JPAlbert wrote:

OP asked:

It's actually a 2018 Mac Mini. . .  I just finished setting up a refurb from Apple.

lightandaprayer wrote:

JPAlbert wrote:

OP asked:

It's actually a 2018 Mac Mini. . . I just finished setting up a refurb from Apple.

I really also need the portability of a laptop...

paul wassermann wrote:

JPAlbert wrote:

OP asked:

Thanks...I am getting the $1800 MBP. I need a laptop to interface with a 27 inch monitor also to be purchased. Then can have both worlds, portability and desttop like computing at home.

If the 2009 iMac that you mentioned in the original post is a 27" model, you could use it as a Mini DisplayPort display for the new machine.

Apple – Use your iMac as a display with target display mode

This would let you:

• Use your 27" iMac as a "free" display,
  • Replace it with a 27" display of your choice, or
  • Get a 27" display of your choice, and use the iMac as a "free" second display

It sounds like you've lucked out, and gotten one of the good iMacs for this purpose. Target Diisplay mode did not exist before 2009; became much more restrictive with Thunderbolt-equipped iMacs, and disappeared entirely on iMacs with 5K screens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads