Reliabilty of m43 mirrorless cameras

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Isola Verde
Isola Verde Veteran Member • Posts: 9,738
Re: Reliabilty of m43 mirrorless cameras

Emsquared wrote:

I just got a G85 and the PZ14-42 is pretty nice on it with EFC shutter, It was good with GX-7 E-shutter too.

I see from the separate thread that you're well aware of its shortcomings when mounted on the cameras of its day.

I happily got rid of mine, along with both GX1 and G3, but am glad to hear you've found a way to make use of yours!

Peter

Isola Verde's gear list:Isola Verde's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 +13 more
thinkinginimages
thinkinginimages Senior Member • Posts: 1,042

Adrian Harris wrote:

I now have four m43 cameras that have been seriously overworked from as far back as 2009, the original G1, GX7, GX8 and Em1-mk2.

I have taken about a zillion shots with each, but they have all failed to let me down or break. What should I do ?

My GX1 and GX7 are working great. I think they may finally be broken in.

thinkinginimages's gear list:thinkinginimages's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8
Rambow Contributing Member • Posts: 813
Buy Sony

Adrian Harris wrote:

I have taken about a zillion shots with each, but they have all failed to let me down or break. What should I do?

M4/3 cameras are reliable because they are made by olympus and panasonic, which is comforting and boring at the same time.

Feel the need for change? Buy a sony camera and watch your life become a wild Rollercoaster.

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
Felice62 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,080

The've served you well, so .. Buy a new set of mft cameras..

-- hide signature --

If only closed minds came with closed mouths..

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +31 more
Re: Buy Sony

Rambow wrote:

Adrian Harris wrote:

I have taken about a zillion shots with each, but they have all failed to let me down or break. What should I do?

M4/3 cameras are reliable because they are made by olympus and panasonic, which is comforting and boring at the same time.

Feel the need for change? Buy a sony camera and watch your life become a wild Rollercoaster.

can you please elaborate on this statement?

-- hide signature --

Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +31 more
rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 4,502
Re: EM5 died after 45K shutter activations

jf_tea wrote:

I bought it in 2012. Took 45K pictures -- much less than gazillions

it died suddenly and never wanted to power on ever again.

All my other M4/3 cameras are fine, even the older GX1 and the GF1 that I had before and sold to a friend.

I wish my E-M10 would die too, got no  better reason to replace it.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +4 more
Sony ghost story

Felice62 wrote:

can you please elaborate on this statement?

Sure, just follow my rx100 ghost thread on the cybershot forum. Watch the video, it's fun(just one example out of many). I really don't bother with exposing all the strange things sony cameras do that other brands simply don't.

My mouth is closed, but my mind sings like a bird.

Sony Mavica FD-71
XVOYAGERX
XVOYAGERX Senior Member • Posts: 1,750

Adrian Harris wrote:

I now have four m43 cameras that have been seriously overworked from as far back as 2009, the original G1, GX7, GX8 and Em1-mk2.

I have taken about a zillion shots with each, but they have all failed to let me down or break. What should I do ?

Keep them!!
Allan.

XVOYAGERX's gear list:XVOYAGERX's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic GH5 +1 more
jf_tea Senior Member • Posts: 1,466
Re: Reliabilty of m43 mirrorless cameras -- GX1

Isola Verde wrote:

Emsquared wrote:

I just got a G85 and the PZ14-42 is pretty nice on it with EFC shutter, It was good with GX-7 E-shutter too.

I see from the separate thread that you're well aware of its shortcomings when mounted on the cameras of its day.

I happily got rid of mine, along with both GX1 and G3, but am glad to hear you've found a way to make use of yours!

Peter

GX1:

I've never observed shutter shock fuzziness when I use the GX1+20/1.7 or with 14/2.5 -- (I am not denying other users might have noticed SS with some lenses).

Even with the 100-300 at 300mm, the GX1 was ok. But, I might just have been lucky. ... I sold my 100-300 anyway. Because I found the FZ150, and, then FZ200 more convenient (because smaller to carry when in a canoe or when hiking) -- yes, I am lazy.

-- hide signature --

-JF

jf_tea's gear list:jf_tea's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus E-M1 +10 more
drmarkf Contributing Member • Posts: 664
 drmarkf's gear list:drmarkf's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Sony a7S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III +17 more
Fujifilm X70 Sony a7S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III +17 more
Isola Verde

jf_tea wrote:

Isola Verde wrote:

Emsquared wrote:

Peter

GX1:

I've never observed shutter shock fuzziness when I use the GX1+20/1.7 or with 14/2.5 -- (I am not denying other users might have noticed SS with some lenses).

Even with the 100-300 at 300mm, the GX1 was ok. But, I might just have been lucky. ... I sold my 100-300 anyway. Because I found the FZ150, and, then FZ200 more convenient (because smaller to carry when in a canoe or when hiking) -- yes, I am lazy.

Not sure you were lucky, you simply chose a wiser option than the ill-matched - and rather pricey - pairing I had the misfortune to pick as my introduction to M43...

"The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GX1 will be available in black and silver bodies in mid-December and in the following kit options: DMC-GX1-X with the LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S (H-PS14042) lens will have a suggested retail price (SRP) of $949.99; the DMC-GX1-K with the 14-42 standard zoom for an SRP of $799.99; and the DMC-GX1, body only for an SRP of $699.99. "

Proper pre-release testing would have identified the issue - and let them drop that particular package... the GX1 was OK once I went out and bought other lenses, and the 14/42PZ worked well enough on soft-shuttered cameras... but as a kit they made a treacherous combination.

Peter

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 +13 more

Adrian Harris wrote:

😎

If you’re worried they might self-destruct, you could always donate them to a local school/charity or whatever for the less privileged, and treat yourself to a brand new set of modern bodies? A double win.

K1W1 55
K1W1 55 Contributing Member • Posts: 673
Re: Oly = reliable

HRC2016 wrote:

My Olympus gear has never failed. So that means I have no experience with Olympus repair service.

I've have two experiences with Panny's repair service. Both negative.

A big key is using your gear correctly.

My only repair experience has been operator error (stupidity), well to be fair I have nerve damaged arm/hand, I drop & break many things.

I dropped a E510 with flash & macro 35mm mounted  - focus motor didn't like that nor filter rim. Dropped EM1 mk1 with 12-100mm mounted -  body lens mount didn't like that became bent, landed on lens filter mount edge but that was fine. Dropped one of my FL-600R flashes, apparently knocked a wire loose.

-- hide signature --

Mandatory self advertising signature follows:
Some slideshows & videos of a wee bit of my work, more to be added
if I ever sort out my music rights issues & find some suitable music.
http://www.youtube.com/user/truder55/videos

K1W1 55's gear list:K1W1 55's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +39 more
jf_tea Senior Member • Posts: 1,466

Isola Verde wrote:

jf_tea wrote:

Isola Verde wrote:

Emsquared wrote:

Peter

GX1:

Not sure you were lucky, you simply chose a wiser option than the ill-matched - and rather pricey - pairing I had the misfortune to pick as my introduction to M43...

"The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GX1 will be available in black and silver bodies in mid-December and in the following kit options: DMC-GX1-X with the LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S (H-PS14042) lens will have a suggested retail price (SRP) of $949.99; the DMC-GX1-K with the 14-42 standard zoom for an SRP of $799.99; and the DMC-GX1, body only for an SRP of $699.99. "

Proper pre-release testing would have identified the issue - and let them drop that particular package... the GX1 was OK once I went out and bought other lenses, and the 14/42PZ worked well enough on soft-shuttered cameras... but as a kit they made a treacherous combination.

Peter

hmmm... a friend has a GX1 + 14-42 PZ.  I shall warn him to change the lens if he finds he takes (too many) SS fuzzy pictures.

Thanks for the explanation !

Does this happen at specific focal lengths and/or shutter speed ?

I would guess it happened more at 42mm and at less than 1/200s... but it might occur with less obvious parameters too.

-- hide signature --

-JF

jf_tea's gear list:jf_tea's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Isola Verde

jf_tea wrote:

Isola Verde wrote:

jf_tea wrote:

Isola Verde wrote:

Emsquared wrote:

Peter

GX1:

Peter

hmmm... a friend has a GX1 + 14-42 PZ. I shall warn him to change the lens if he finds he takes (too many) SS fuzzy pictures.

Thanks for the explanation !

Does this happen at specific focal lengths and/or shutter speed ?

I would guess it happened more at 42mm and at less than 1/200s... but it might occur with less obvious parameters too.

Not sure I can help with specific good/bad settings - after so long, I've dumped most of the blighted pictures.

But here are a couple - taken within the same minute, at very similar settings, but from slightly different positions - of which one's rather less appealing than the other?

Screen grabs of the same images, at 100% and at 50% magnification...

Peter

Re: Sony ghost story

I really like the output of Sony cameras in general. My first mirrorless was the superb nex-6. I have used many of the ml cameras produced by Sony, until the A7Rii, which I found to produce very good OOC jpegs.

I still have the unobtrusive A6000. A little wonder itself.

But since life is about compromises, I decided I didn't want to invest in native Sony lenses and lug around more weight. So I made the choice to elect mft as my primary system and am now exploring to increase my APS fuji gearset, as I find Fuji to be best suited to my wills.

-- hide signature --

Alan_W1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,612

I'm using two G80's and an old G6 for video, without any reliability issues {my previous GH2 also never had any issues either}.

I have secretly hoped my G6 would die, as it would give me an excuse to get myself a G9.

Last week my G6 crashed to the ground, whilst I fumbled to mount it on top of a fully extended tripod....but the little bugger has refused to die, and just keeps on going.

It seems the G9 will have to wait a while longer.

In hindsight, my last two Nikon bodies both developed 'known issues', which required replacement parts...fortunately free of charge.

Alan_W1's gear list:Alan_W1's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +10 more

jf_tea wrote:

Random electronic failures don't count, especially since you might be the only one who managed to kill an olympus camera like that.

I've read however that the em5 had a sort of switch failure... think it was the on/off switch.

Sony Mavica FD-71
Isola Verde

Rambow wrote:

jf_tea wrote:

Random electronic failures don't count, especially since you might be the only one who managed to kill an olympus camera like that.

I've read however that the em5 had a sort of switch failure... think it was the on/off switch.

One-offs shouldn't count - but just sometimes the fails are rather larger...

https://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

Of course these days we wouldn't have so many makers relying on only one or two sensor manufacturers, would we?

Peter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads