Nikon 58mm 1.4g on the Z6 appreciation thread

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Sukuwea Enikkusu Junior Member • Posts: 30
Nikon 58mm 1.4g on the Z6 appreciation thread

Since you don't need to calibrate it, it will perform excellent on a Z6. I longed for this lens a loooong time, Looking at every page of the Fredmiranda thread and mywed pages. Been putting this lens to all paces. Natural light shootings, 1 to 3 lighting setups and recently my first wedding. I love it, performed consistently and never disappointed. In the 50mm range there is no substitute for the 58mm 1.4g. I hope we can shut down the sharpness trolls now.

And my whole setup will revolve around this lens.

28mm 1.8g, 58mm 1.4g and Z 85mm 1.8s. The 85mm is the only lens I love of the Z lineup, I am bokeh fanatic and this one doesn't disappoint. Z 35mm and 50mm were lacking for me.

My instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bokeh.nohero

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
baggy1 Regular Member • Posts: 258
Re: Nikon 58mm 1.4g on the Z6 appreciation thread

Loving the pics, you obviously know how to get the best out of this lens. Have you tried the 28mm 1.4 or 35mm 1.4?  Was wondering how the bokeh is on those lenses compared to the 28mm 1.8 you own. Getting tempted by the specs and possible good value of the rumoured Z5, and the focal lengths you have I think would make for a nice wedding prime kit.

OP Sukuwea Enikkusu Junior Member • Posts: 30

Thank you!

I think there is not much to learn about this lens, people overthink. It is just softer at minimum focus distance, I generally avoid getting so close anyways unless it is an 85mm.  I think much of the softness people experience is not calibrating the lens properly and even so it behaves not so well with DSLR's focus systems.

Want nice bokeh? Have your subject stand further away from the background or move closer to half body length.

Never tried the 35mm or 28mm 1.4. They produce stellar pics for sure from what I am seeing.

I like the bokeh of the 28mm 1.8, it is better than Z 35mm 1.8 in this regard and admittedly I cut corners on the wide focal length. It is not my workhorse focal length. Also all my lenses are around 500g now on the Z6, I really like the balance of my kit.

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 6,602

Very, very nice and inspiring photography!  ISO 50 on the Z6?  Is that Lo3?  Do you think there is any loss of dynamic range at Lo3 or anything?

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"WiFi is illegal in the town of Green Bank, West Virginia where a superpowerful telescope resides that needs electromagnetic silence to do it's important research. " - Matt Blitz, Popular Mechanics

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
mrjpack Contributing Member • Posts: 808

Sukuwea Enikkusu wrote:

Thank you!

I think there is not much to learn about this lens, people overthink. It is just softer at minimum focus distance, I generally avoid getting so close anyways unless it is an 85mm. I think much of the softness people experience is not calibrating the lens properly and even so it behaves not so well with DSLR's focus systems.

Want nice bokeh? Have your subject stand further away from the background or move closer to half body length.

Never tried the 35mm or 28mm 1.4. They produce stellar pics for sure from what I am seeing.

I like the bokeh of the 28mm 1.8, it is better than Z 35mm 1.8 in this regard and admittedly I cut corners on the wide focal length. It is not my workhorse focal length. Also all my lenses are around 500g now on the Z6, I really like the balance of my kit.

It’s love hate on my D850 which requires a truckload of adjustments for all my lens. I really have to put it in my Z6 and give it a work out...

mrjpack's gear list:mrjpack's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D40 Nikon D750 Nikon D850 Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +7 more
Mikspin
Mikspin Regular Member • Posts: 182

Loved your set. I used to have this lens. Some of my best work was with this lens and the D800. As with you, I was for ever tinkering with the AF fine tune. Eventually I tired of it and sold it. Since then I am now fully into the Z system with a Z6. Your bokeh has brought back my interest again in the 58mm f/1.4g. On the Z6, F/1.4 should be a cake walk. Thanks for the tip. As soon as finances are available, the 58 will be my next purchase. Mike

Mikspin's gear list:Mikspin's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D800 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +13 more
ovrebekk
ovrebekk Veteran Member • Posts: 4,662

Amazing shots Sukuwea, great work!

I had a very similar experience with my 105mm f1.4E. On the D600 I would always struggle to hit focus wide open, but on the Z6 it is pin sharp all the time.

Giovanni_1968
Giovanni_1968 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,134

Sukuwea Enikkusu wrote:

Since you don't need to calibrate it, it will perform excellent on a Z6. I longed for this lens a loooong time, Looking at every page of the Fredmiranda thread and mywed pages. Been putting this lens to all paces. Natural light shootings, 1 to 3 lighting setups and recently my first wedding. I love it, performed consistently and never disappointed. In the 50mm range there is no substitute for the 58mm 1.4g. I hope we can shut down the sharpness trolls now.

And my whole setup will revolve around this lens.

28mm 1.8g, 58mm 1.4g and Z 85mm 1.8s. The 85mm is the only lens I love of the Z lineup, I am bokeh fanatic and this one doesn't disappoint. Z 35mm and 50mm were lacking for me.

My instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bokeh.nohero

I always had a crush onto this lens, too expensive for a hobbyist like me but some day it will become mine, I lusted the 85/1.4D for long and got it, on the bucket list I have a 35 even tho never had one but my passion is for portraits and focal lengths from 50 upwards so, ideally, the 58 on the lower end and a 135 on the upper one.

Your samples look amazing, I got a D850 which I still have to test, I maybe took 200-300 shots if I even did, not the best time of the year for me to experiment but I am more and more lusting a ML and with the upcoming ZxS upgrades and/or the Z5 an addition might come sooner than expected not to say I think 24MP being a very sweet spot sensor wise especially for those who, like me, have the D850 for, say, landscape or big prints.

I never read of focus issues with this lens but the fact that a ML needs no calibration makes it even more attractive, I am struggling big time with my D800 (after a repair it seems very unreliable focus wise) and, again a Z would do it if not for those few D lenses which I own and still like so much.
Great set of images and revamped lust for the 58G šŸ¤™šŸ»

-- hide signature --

Giovanni - 70% GAS affected
http://www.flickr.com/photos/giovanniaprea/
Nikon D850 - Nikon D800 - Nikon D2Xs - Fuji X-Pro1 - Fuji S5Pro - Nikon F - Nikon F3
J.A. Michell Gyrodec - Audio Research SP-9 - Aeron AP-890 - JBL4311B - JBL L220
JN70CN - 14.14.30E 40.32.40N

Giovanni_1968's gear list:Giovanni_1968's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D800 Nikon D2Xs Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +16 more
WalterH Contributing Member • Posts: 993
Just for the bokeh is the Z 85mm a competing lens?

Yes 85 ist not 58 I know that. So if you want 58mm you will not go for 85mm and vice versa.

But if you are tempted for the bokeh in portrait (and not only there) is the new Z 85mm 1:1.8 a choice and spend 800 € less?

Giovanni_1968
Giovanni_1968 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,134
Re: Just for the bokeh is the Z 85mm a competing lens?

WalterH wrote:

Yes 85 ist not 58 I know that. So if you want 58mm you will not go for 85mm and vice versa.

But if you are tempted for the bokeh in portrait (and not only there) is the new Z 85mm 1:1.8 a choice and spend 800 € less?

The G can be also used on D-SLR, the best of both worlds

-- hide signature --

Giovanni - 70% GAS affected
http://www.flickr.com/photos/giovanniaprea/
Nikon D850 - Nikon D800 - Nikon D2Xs - Fuji X-Pro1 - Fuji S5Pro - Nikon F - Nikon F3
J.A. Michell Gyrodec - Audio Research SP-9 - Aeron AP-890 - JBL4311B - JBL L220
JN70CN - 14.14.30E 40.32.40N

Giovanni_1968's gear list:Giovanni_1968's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D800 Nikon D2Xs Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +16 more

Thank your everyone. Glad people can see the value of this lens.

Yes, it was the lowest iso. I didn't notice anything about dr but then again I don't pixelpeep these tings.

I generally buy lenses used and I got the 58mm for a steal, so not much price difference for me. The bokeh of the 58mm is smoother and rendered more uniquely. 85mm is no slouch either. I would be content with either one without missing the other. What I like about the 85mm that you don't have to worry about high contrast situations at all. It saves you work in post for sure. For client work I guess the 85mm might be more reliable.

Depends on your usage, I find the 58mm to be more versatile for the style I am going for. If you do lots of head and shoulders or half body shots, the 85mm might be more versatile for you because of less distortion.

mrjpack Contributing Member • Posts: 808

I haven’t used the 58 on my Z6 so after this thread I decided to see how it works. And unlike my D850 it seems the focus was spot on with no adjustments, what a joy to use...

Sukuwea Enikkusu wrote:

Thank your everyone. Glad people can see the value of this lens.

Yes, it was the lowest iso. I didn't notice anything about dr but then again I don't pixelpeep these tings.

I generally buy lenses used and I got the 58mm for a steal, so not much price difference for me. The bokeh of the 58mm is smoother and rendered more uniquely. 85mm is no slouch either. I would be content with either one without missing the other. What I like about the 85mm that you don't have to worry about high contrast situations at all. It saves you work in post for sure. For client work I guess the 85mm might be more reliable.

Depends on your usage, I find the 58mm to be more versatile for the style I am going for. If you do lots of head and shoulders or half body shots, the 85mm might be more versatile for you because of less distortion.

mrjpack's gear list:mrjpack's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D40 Nikon D750 Nikon D850 Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +7 more

Glad I inspired people to use the 58mm 1.4G with their Z6!!! Keep them pics coming

It is just an incredible combo, also the only 1.4g lens which balances well with the FTZ Adapter.

Stopping down to 3.2 doesn't hurt either.

Dibyendu Majumdar Contributing Member • Posts: 758

Some examples.

I often think about switching entirely to Z lenses to get a more coherent look between my lenses. But I guess I would simply regret selling the 58mm 1.4g.

All photos lit up with strobes. https://www.instagram.com/vietanh.photo/for lighting diagrams.

WalterH Contributing Member • Posts: 993

Sukuwea Enikkusu wrote:

I often think about switching entirely to Z lenses to get a more coherent look between my lenses. But I guess I would simply regret selling the 58mm 1.4g.

It is you and not the lens.

A new lens would only change 5% in your images.Ā 

And you would want at least F1.4 or better F1.2 anyway.

But you know that

Ernie Misner

Sukuwea Enikkusu wrote:

Glad I inspired people to use the 58mm 1.4G with their Z6!!! Keep them pics coming

It is just an incredible combo, also the only 1.4g lens which balances well with the FTZ Adapter.

Incredible portraits wide open with the 58mm 1.4G!  ISO 50 on the Z6?  Is that Lo3 and what did it do for you, anything?  Thanks.

Stopping down to 3.2 doesn't hurt either.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
"WiFi is illegal in the town of Green Bank, West Virginia where a superpowerful telescope resides that needs electromagnetic silence to do it's important research. " - Matt Blitz, Popular Mechanics

Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more

I often shoot at the lowest iso possible because I am using flash and want to shoot on wider apertures.

Ernie Misner

Sukuwea Enikkusu wrote:

I often shoot at the lowest iso possible because I am using flash and want to shoot on wider apertures.

Now that is interesting and thank you.  I wonder if DR and noise is the same at Lo3 as it is at ISO 100.  Your images are stellar.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads