Light spot in center of sensor

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Bman70 Junior Member • Posts: 43
Light spot in center of sensor

Well I was shooting at the sky to check for dust, and it seems the center of the exposure is just a shade lighter than the rest. It's hardly noticeable until I crank up the contrast like I do when checking for dust particles. I haven't seen this before, but I don't do this test very often, and I think this is the first time with this lens (100-400GM).
Offhand, I'm wondering if the metering setting could do this? I have it set for Multi mode though, not Center. Is it just the telephoto superpower trying to zoom in on space?

Bman70's gear list:Bman70's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a6300 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +4 more
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,718
Re: Light spot in center of sensor

Strange.

I can’t imagine that it is anything to do with the metering system or the lens.  It might be some kind of post processing being done by the camera and it gets fooled by the more or less blank screen.  Could it be the moon peeping through clouds - that was my first thought when I enlarged the image?

You could try repeating the shot and see if it recurs.  You could also try shooting raw instead of JPEG.

If it doesn’t go away, try posting on the Sony forum.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Doug Haag Senior Member • Posts: 2,210

Bman70 wrote:

Well I was shooting at the sky to check for dust, and it seems the center of the exposure is just a shade lighter than the rest. It's hardly noticeable until I crank up the contrast like I do when checking for dust particles. I haven't seen this before, but I don't do this test very often, and I think this is the first time with this lens (100-400GM).
Offhand, I'm wondering if the metering setting could do this? I have it set for Multi mode though, not Center. Is it just the telephoto superpower trying to zoom in on space?

Perhaps instead of worrying about it, you can think of it as a "feature".  As in: "Sony cameras are clearly better than others because none of the others can claim a light spot."

It appears they also feature a "dark spot" at about 4 O'clock,

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 17,512

Bman70 wrote:

I haven't seen this before, but I don't do this test very often, and I think this is the first time with this lens (100-400GM).

Try other focal lengths and other lenses and see if it changes.

Offhand, I'm wondering if the metering setting could do this?

No. The metering mode is irrelevant.

OP Bman70 Junior Member • Posts: 43

Doug Haag wrote:

Bman70 wrote:

Perhaps instead of worrying about it, you can think of it as a "feature". As in: "Sony cameras are clearly better than others because none of the others can claim a light spot."

It appears they also feature a "dark spot" at about 4 O'clock,

Haha well Sony is usually ahead of the competition. Yes the 4 o'clock is a dust ball on the sensor, there are also a bunch of smaller particles. Time to get out the rocket blower.

Sony a7 Sony a6300 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +4 more
OP Bman70 Junior Member • Posts: 43

Chris R-UK wrote:

Strange.

I can’t imagine that it is anything to do with the metering system or the lens. It might be some kind of post processing being done by the camera and it gets fooled by the more or less blank screen. Could it be the moon peeping through clouds - that was my first thought when I enlarged the image?

It was a pure blue sky, I just put it in grayscale in Photoshop because it's easier to see any sensor dust. I did have the 1.4x teleconverter on, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. It was a RAW shot, converted to DNG with Adobe DNG Converter.. now there's another link in the chain to check.

Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,718

Bman70 wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

Strange.

I can’t imagine that it is anything to do with the metering system or the lens. It might be some kind of post processing being done by the camera and it gets fooled by the more or less blank screen. Could it be the moon peeping through clouds - that was my first thought when I enlarged the image?

It was a pure blue sky, I just put it in grayscale in Photoshop because it's easier to see any sensor dust. I did have the 1.4x teleconverter on, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. It was a RAW shot, converted to DNG with Adobe DNG Converter.. now there's another link in the chain to check.

Definitely try it without the teleconverter.  If you had a filter on the lens, try taking that off as well.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 15,573
Infrared?

I’ve seen spots like that with some lenses when shooting infrared. This is a known problem, solved by using lenses that don’t have that property.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,784

My canon sx40 at full zoom has that light spot in center if there is even a tiny bit of a fingerprint on the front lens. I mean so minor that you can’t even see it is on the lens with pretty good flashlight shining in it. Cleaning my sx40 front lens with a micro fiber cloth fixed it. I would try that if I saw that in another lens.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads