RF 35mm 1.8 - anyone have examples and feedback?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,359
RF 35mm 1.8 - anyone have examples and feedback?

If I go with the R series (likely an RP) one of the lenses I'd be interested in is the 35/1.8 macro.

Wonder if anyone here can share their shooting experience and maybe samples? Or a URL to a Flickr or something with samples?

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN +2 more
RLight Senior Member • Posts: 2,558
Re: RF 35mm 1.8 - anyone have examples and feedback?

Here's a couple extra SOOC JPEGs from the 4th of July weekend.

I shoot the weekend heavily with the RF 28-70 f/2L due to the nature (parties), however the RF 35 got some use where both f/1.8 and IS were desired, or happened to be mounted otherwise.

Here's a Flickr Album I have dedicated to the RF 35mm...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmB2jVCF

Dinner

That waffle tasted wayyyy better than it looked.

Half-white, half-whole wheat flour. Was quite scrumptious.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS R Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,293

No examples.... don't like sharing family photos

But if you want a 35 it's a no brainer. To my eyes the Sigma 35 ART is only meaningfully stronger in controlling vignetting. Cheap, fast, sharp, light................. can't ask for more; honestly one of the main reasons I got into the R system.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Hoka Hey
Hoka Hey Senior Member • Posts: 2,020

RLight wrote:

Here's a couple extra SOOC JPEGs from the 4th of July weekend.

I shoot the weekend heavily with the RF 28-70 f/2L due to the nature (parties), however the RF 35 got some use where both f/1.8 and IS were desired, or happened to be mounted otherwise.

Here's a Flickr Album I have dedicated to the RF 35mm...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmB2jVCF

Dinner

That waffle tasted wayyyy better than it looked.

Half-white, half-whole wheat flour. Was quite scrumptious.

Looks like you have another model on the way. Guess we will be seeing R5 baby pictures soon. 🙂

-- hide signature --

Joe

diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,558

sportyaccordy wrote:

No examples.... don't like sharing family photos

But if you want a 35 it's a no brainer. To my eyes the Sigma 35 ART is only meaningfully stronger in controlling vignetting. Cheap, fast, sharp, light................. can't ask for more; honestly one of the main reasons I got into the R system.

I agree.  I also had the art, which I loved.  But I could hardly tell the difference and the canon was so much smaller and lighter.  Great little lens

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Eddie Rizk Regular Member • Posts: 340
Treat Yourself.

These are all hand held in low light with the EOS R without flash.  Some could be sharper, but that's me, not the lens.

-- hide signature --

Eddie Rizk
Formerly "Ed Rizk"
My email was hacked and unrecoverable along with all associated accounts, so I got permission to create a new one.

mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,658

It is sharp, light, has fast AF and is relatively affordable. Only downside is the diameter which I find a bit too wide to be comfortable. But that is a common feature of all RF lenses and very subjective, too. It is my only RF lens, all other lenses are EF.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +54 more
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 1,910

The pocketable size, IS and the F1.8 aperture all cooperate to make this a great lens for shooting in close quarters. My only complaint with the lens is that bokeh for non-closeup shots is a bit harsh.

You’ll hear whinging from some people about the pancake hood not being functional. Ignore them, because none of them has an actual test to back up their claim. I’ve done my testing and found it blocks stray light just as well as larger hoods.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads