WARNING: DxO Nik3 is blocking Nik2!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
landscaper1
landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,698
WARNING: DxO Nik3 is blocking Nik2!

I previously purchased and have used Nik2 extensively.  So, when DxO announced Nik3 I signed up for a trial.  I concluded it wasn't improved enough to justify the cost.  Now my trial has expired and, along with it, further access to my previously purchased Nik2. I tried to reinstall the Nik2 with the previous authorization code, but to no avail.

I'd like to think this was an unintended consequence of using the Nik3 trial, but the way these software outfits have been going these days, I don't know.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
P.S. I give permission to anyone wishing to download any of my images solely for the purpose of reposting in the same thread with C&C.
-----
"Open up your eyes and look around you.
There's a lotta world you've never seen." Pan American Airlines radio commercial

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R Rokinon 24mm F1.4 Aspherical +10 more
John_Hoffman
John_Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 1,802
Re: WARNING: DxO Nik3 is blocking Nik2!

Did you delete Nik3 when the trial ended?

-- hide signature --

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John_Hoffman's gear list:John_Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EF 70-200 F4 II Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +2 more
Lloyd O'Daniel Regular Member • Posts: 462

I just successfully returned to Nik 2 after the Nik 3 trial just now. I reached the same conclusion as you regarding the upgrade. I already have Viewpoint, so having it again inside Nik 3 is of no real use.

I uninstalled the trial via Revo Uninstaller first before reinstalling Nik 2 and all went well. I ran Color Efex Pro to verify and was met with a splash screen asking if I want to upgrade to v 3. I hope that is not an every time occurrence.

landscaper1
OP landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,698

John_Hoffman wrote:

Yes, but that didn't help.  I also tried re-installing Nik2 and that didn't work.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
P.S. I give permission to anyone wishing to download any of my images solely for the purpose of reposting in the same thread with C&C.
-----
There's a lotta world you've never seen." Pan American Airlines radio commercial

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R Rokinon 24mm F1.4 Aspherical +10 more
Kaj E Veteran Member • Posts: 9,666

Lloyd O'Daniel wrote:

I uninstalled the trial via Revo Uninstaller first before reinstalling Nik 2 and all went well. I ran Color Efex Pro to verify and was met with a splash screen asking if I want to upgrade to v 3. I hope that is not an every time occurrence.

Unfortunatly the update reminder is a frequent occurrence (but not every time). I haven't found a way to end it.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,002

landscaper1 wrote:

John_Hoffman wrote:

Yes, but that didn't help. I also tried re-installing Nik2 and that didn't work.

How did the install of NIK 2 actually fail?

Ian

Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,744

Why not to contact DXO?

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +4 more
landscaper1

IanYorke wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

John_Hoffman wrote:

Yes, but that didn't help. I also tried re-installing Nik2 and that didn't work.

Ian

When I tried to use one of the Nik apps I got a pop-up box asking for my activation code, but when I entered it, I got the message that it was incorrect.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
-----

IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,002

landscaper1 wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

John_Hoffman wrote:

Ian

When I tried to use one of the Nik apps I got a pop-up box asking for my activation code, but when I entered it, I got the message that it was incorrect.

Are you sure NIK 3 uninstalled correctly. Might be worth uninstalling NIK and looking for any references to NIK in the Program files and in Users/roaming and Users/Local and deleting them there after uninstalling NIK.

Fingers crossed:-)

Ian

candgpics Regular Member • Posts: 156

Hi:

I also tried NIK 3.0 and did not choose to upgrade.  I no longer use Photoshop CC and use Affinity Photo instead.  The new workflow improvements in NIK 3.0 do not work in Affinity Photo (although the program otherwise works fine with Affinity Photo).

I had to uninstall NIK since it overwrites your installation, as opposed to, for example, allowing you to have multiple versions installed.

Once uninstalled, I installed my archived copy of NIK 2.5.  I do not remember if I had to re-enetr my license code, but all went well and NIK 2.5 works fine.

candgpics's gear list:candgpics's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +11 more
landscaper1

IanYorke wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

John_Hoffman wrote:

Ian

Are you sure NIK 3 uninstalled correctly. Might be worth uninstalling NIK and looking for any references to NIK in the Program files and in Users/roaming and Users/Local and deleting them there after uninstalling NIK.

Fingers crossed:-)

Ian

Ian, I have no idea what any of what you wrote means.  I went through Win10 settings and apps and there is no mention of Nik 3 in there.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
-----

candgpics Regular Member • Posts: 156

Landscaper:

The DXO Nik installation process with updates has been a bit tricky in the past.  I think the first DXO Nik version overwrote custom recipes, essentially wiping them out.

My suggestion based upon my experience with PhotoLab (versions 1 through 3, now on 3) and DXO Nik, if you go to control panel, uninstall, then uninstall NIK (which is the 3.0 version you installed even if it does not say 3.0), then reinstall Nik 2.5, that should work.  It may cause you to lose your personal recipes, but that did not happen this time around for me.

Hope this works.

candgpics's gear list:candgpics's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +11 more
landscaper1

candgpics wrote:

Landscaper:

The DXO Nik installation process with updates has been a bit tricky in the past. I think the first DXO Nik version overwrote custom recipes, essentially wiping them out.

My suggestion based upon my experience with PhotoLab (versions 1 through 3, now on 3) and DXO Nik, if you go to control panel, uninstall, then uninstall NIK (which is the 3.0 version you installed even if it does not say 3.0), then reinstall Nik 2.5, that should work. It may cause you to lose your personal recipes, but that did not happen this time around for me.

Hope this works.

I tried that.  Nik 3 doesn't appear in the list of apps in Win10.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
-----

Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Senior Member • Posts: 2,718

Type "Nik 3" (without the quotes) into the search option on your taskbar.

If there are any Nik 3 files lurking anywhere, they'll appear, with their location, in the results. Then just hunt them down and delete them.

For what it's worth and I realise it's a bit late for you now but it is possible to instal Nik3 without it overwriting Nik 2.

Simply add a new folder, you can call it whatever you like, to the "Programs" folder on your C drive and tell Nik 3 to instal itself in there.

A for being asked for a serial to reinstal Nik 2, I think I've installed it least least twice but I can't remember ever having to use a serial. As far as I can remember, I don't actually have one.

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

davinci953 Regular Member • Posts: 376

landscaper1 wrote:

I tried that. Nik 3 doesn't appear in the list of apps in Win10.

If you don't see a listing for 'Nik Collection' or something similar, reinstall the Nik 3 trial, and then use an uninstaller that picks up registry and file traces of the installation after the uninstall completes. I like and use the portable version of Geek Uninstaller free. This is what the Apps entry looks like with the free version of Nik installed.

landscaper1
Clarification Re: DxO Nik3 is blocking Nik2!

From some of the comments I've received I realize more details are needed.

First, I downloaded the Nik 3 trial.  I decided not to purchase it and simply allowed the trial to expire, which it did yesterday.  Today I tried to use the Nik 2 apps I purchased more than a year ago.  Instead of opening the app, I got a message box asking for my activation code.  I still have it (I save stuff like that) and I entered it.  It indicated the code was incorrect (I know it wasn't).

Following one suggestion I went to the Win10 settings (Apps), but there was no sign of Nik 3 in the app list.  I then went to the Control Panel, but found nothing there, either.  I entered Nik 3 in the Search box at the bottom of the screen, but all I got were directions to articles about Nik 3 on the web.

I contacted DxO and was given a link to download Nik 2 again.  I did so, but when I tried to use it, the text on the screen was almost microscopic; I could barely read it even when holding a magnifying glass to the screen.  I emailed DxO to report that, but they haven't responded.

It's one thing to feel ripped off when you pay for something and it doesn't measure up, but it's a lot worse when a manufacturer offers a trial version that, without prior warning, effectively erases the earlier version you had already purchased.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
-----

DR M New Member • Posts: 19

Wasn’t Nik2 actually free? I’m pretty sure it was.

Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Senior Member • Posts: 2,718

DR M wrote:

I thought that.

landscaper1

Jestertheclown wrote:

DR M wrote:

I thought that.

Earlier versions were, but the last version had a price tag.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
-----

landscaper1
UPDATE Re: DxO Nik3 is blocking Nik2!

After back and forth emails to DxO they've ignored my complaint. I sent the following to them this morning.

So, it appears to me that the bottom line is this. DxO's poorly constructed "Nik 3 Trial" version corrupted the very workable Nik 2 version I already had, rendered it unable to launch, and DxO is taking no responsibility for that. That is unacceptable. I demand that DxO either find a way to provide to me a working and readable Nik 2 version or provide me with a Nik 3 version free of charge. There is no justification for destroying someone else's property and not compensating them in some way.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
-----

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads