Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 vs Nikon 70-200 F4

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
OP Matt_24 Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 vs Nikon 70-200 F4, F4 TEST

Michael Benveniste wrote:

Matt_24 wrote:

The E is a little out of my budget. If the G2 has poor field curvature as well I would be more willing to consider it.

Even though it's out of your budget, I would suggest you rent one for a couple of reasons.

• It sets a cap on expectations. If you are still seeing a lack of corner sharpness, you'll know that perhaps the other posters were correct.
  • It eliminates observer bias.

Based on Roger Cicala's tests here and here, I see no evidence of field curvature at 200mm among the 9 samples he tested. That doesn't mean yours doesn't have it. What I do see is a substantial drop in contrast and increase in astigmatism at high frequency towards the corners.

If you decide to switch to either the Tamron or the Sigma 70-200mm, or even the 70-200mm VR-II I use, I think there's at least an even money chance you'll be back here complaining about that lens as well. TANSTAAPZ. There ain't no such thing as a perfect zoom.

Why rent the E? I thought I made it somewhat clear the g2 should have the better corners. My f4 is sufficiently sharp in the center and I assume the g2 is just as sharp in the center if not more. The E is definitely sharper in the center than the G2 but that's not my problem, it's the corner.

Matt_24's gear list:Matt_24's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +3 more
Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 5,172

Matt_24 wrote:

Why rent the E? I thought I made it somewhat clear the g2 should have the better corners.

You first claimed that the problem was "field curvature."  When several people pointed out that likely wasn't the case, you "proved" to yourself it was.

So, what are you going to do when you buy the Tamron, go to duplicate your train shot, and come up with pretty much identical results?  Because I think there's an excellent chance that's exactly what's going to happen.  My guess is that you'll end up spending time and money exchanging copies.

My f4 is sufficiently sharp in the center and I assume the g2 is just as sharp in the center if not more. The E is definitely sharper in the center than the G2 but that's not my problem, it's the corner.

I take it you are drawing these conclusions from online tests, since you haven't used either lens yet.  Well, those same online tests showed that the 70-200mm f/4 did not suffer from field curvature at 200mm, and yet you "proved" otherwise.  So why trust them now?

I get that "seeing is believing," and that it's your gear, your money, your time and your choice.  But I suggested renting the "E" so you know what you what is and isn't reasonable to expect.

-- hide signature --

Light travels at 2.13085531 × 10^14 smoots per fortnight. Catch some today!

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +40 more
Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 8,543

Matt_24 wrote:

Why rent the E? I thought I made it somewhat clear the g2 should have the better corners.

You first claimed that the problem was "field curvature." When several people pointed out that likely wasn't the case, you "proved" to yourself it was.

So, what are you going to do when you buy the Tamron, go to duplicate your train shot, and come up with pretty much identical results? Because I think there's an excellent chance that's exactly what's going to happen. My guess is that you'll end up spending time and money exchanging copies.

My f4 is sufficiently sharp in the center and I assume the g2 is just as sharp in the center if not more. The E is definitely sharper in the center than the G2 but that's not my problem, it's the corner.

I take it you are drawing these conclusions from online tests, since you haven't used either lens yet. Well, those same online tests showed that the 70-200mm f/4 did not suffer from field curvature at 200mm, and yet you "proved" otherwise. So why trust them now?

I get that "seeing is believing," and that it's your gear, your money, your time and your choice. But I suggested renting the "E" so you know what you what is and isn't reasonable to expect.

Agreed. This is one of the strangest threads I've seen on this board in the 20+ years I use it.

-- hide signature --

Philip

calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,381
Re: Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 vs Nikon 70-200 F4

I woud start by making sure that the camera and lens are perfectly level. There may also be diffraction evident with too small an aperture for the focal length. I was photographing a very distant subject with a 500mm f/4 lens and when I added a TC-20 teleconverter the diffraction became very evident with what was now a 1000mm f/8 lens.

One reason why I stick with Nikon for my telephoto lenses is that they are all compatible with my two Nikon teleconverters. This would not be the case with Sigma lenses and may not be with the Tamron.

I would also look on fredmirand.com Buy-Sell to see what used 70-200mm FL lenses are selling for at this time. I bought one that was in pristine condition in February for $1750 which included shipping and there was no sales tax involved, only the Paypal fee.

-- hide signature --

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." Ansel Adams

calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D850

Matt_24 wrote:

You first claimed that the problem was "field curvature." When several people pointed out that likely wasn't the case, you "proved" to yourself it was.

So, what are you going to do when you buy the Tamron, go to duplicate your train shot, and come up with pretty much identical results? Because I think there's an excellent chance that's exactly what's going to happen. My guess is that you'll end up spending time and money exchanging copies.

I take it you are drawing these conclusions from online tests, since you haven't used either lens yet. Well, those same online tests showed that the 70-200mm f/4 did not suffer from field curvature at 200mm, and yet you "proved" otherwise. So why trust them now?

I get that "seeing is believing," and that it's your gear, your money, your time and your choice. But I suggested renting the "E" so you know what you what is and isn't reasonable to expect.

How was it not likely field curvature? The center of the hill at that distance was clearly sharper and I know the lens has the capability to be sharper in the corners.

I haven't used either the E or G2, that's why I am asking. There are multiple reviews that mention field curvature for the 70-200 f4. I am not looking for no field curvature I am looking for less forward curvature, I don't need it to be perfect with zero curvature just less curvature to the front.

Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +3 more
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,882

Matt_24 wrote:

Matt_24 wrote:

How was it not likely field curvature? The center of the hill at that distance was clearly sharper and I know the lens has the capability to be sharper in the corners.

I haven't used either the E or G2, that's why I am asking. There are multiple reviews that mention field curvature for the 70-200 f4. I am not looking for no field curvature I am looking for less forward curvature, I don't need it to be perfect with zero curvature just less curvature to the front.

I think the point here is that, because none of us can really see the "problem" as you're seeing it, there's no way that any of us can advise whether the Nikkor E or Tamron G2 might produce a result that you're happier with.  As Michael says, the only way you'll be sure is by trying one or both of them for yourself in the conditions that you'd be shooting in.

Sorry, but I fear that's the best we can do.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +20 more
Another opinion

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1219185

I don't know what the rule with linking to other forums is here but the person in this thread has the same issue as I do... The 100-200mm is my problem also (I think every time I have noticed it occurring I have been at 135mm or above.)

briantilley wrote:

Matt_24 wrote:

Matt_24 wrote:

I think the point here is that, because none of us can really see the "problem" as you're seeing it, there's no way that any of us can advise whether the Nikkor E or Tamron G2 might produce a result that you're happier with. As Michael says, the only way you'll be sure is by trying one or both of them for yourself in the conditions that you'd be shooting in.

Sorry, but I fear that's the best we can do.

Well, I just replied to myself a minute ago. Go to the reply labeled "Another opinion" It appears some other people have noticed the problem, if that detail helps you. I'm going to search for people complaining about that issue, the quantity of results I find should give me a good clue.

briantilley

Matt_24 wrote:

Well, I just replied to myself a minute ago. Go to the reply labeled "Another opinion" It appears some other people have noticed the problem, if that detail helps you. I'm going to search for people complaining about that issue, the quantity of results I find should give me a good clue.

If you're only search for people that agree with you, that's what you'll find. Most people here try to keep an open mind...

Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +20 more
briantilley
Re: Another opinion

Matt_24 wrote:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1219185

I don't know what the rule with linking to other forums is here but the person in this thread has the same issue as I do... The 100-200mm is my problem also (I think every time I have noticed it occurring I have been at 135mm or above.)

That doesn't seem to be the same problem - she says her lens has field curvature at minimum focus, but is very good at distance - which is where you first saw the issue.

briantilley wrote:

Matt_24 wrote:

If you're only going to look for people that agree with you, that's what you'll find. Most people here try to keep an open mind...

Well I went and looked and was really only able to find anything about field curvature with the 70-200 f4. The G2 didn't have any results, I didn't find anything for the E either other than a lot of mentions of the HRI element (has something to do with correcting field curvature and something else at the same time).

So no I wasn't only looking for people talking about the F4 I was simply looking for people complaining about the issue on all 3 lenses and the F4 was the only one that got numerous results. Most were mention of very minor field curvature, but this wasn't mentioned for the E or G2 that I could find. Given how you guys feel about my lenses performance I'm assuming what I have is minor.

Tuonov2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,565

Matt_24 wrote:

and the VRII is worse than my F4 in terms of sharpness.

Is it? Where did you hear that?

I've owned the G2, the nikon f4 and the vr2, the VR2 is the sharpest of them all across the frame, especially stopped down. The G2 was about the same in the center but worse in the corners and the f4 was the least sharp across the whole frame.

Tuonov2 wrote:

Matt_24 wrote:

I've owned the G2, the nikon f4 and the vr2, the VR2 is the sharpest of them all across the frame, especially stopped down. The G2 was about the same in the center but worse in the corners and the f4 was the least sharp across the whole frame.

Another source, they could have had a bad copy. Do you still have the VRII, G2 and the F4? How did the field curvature compare? Do you have samples?

FingerPainter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,162

Matt_24 wrote:

I know this isn't a brick wall but the protruding boards are all level so ignore the boards further back.

Image #1 the camera was focused with live view on the center right protruding board.

Image #2 the camera was focused with live view in the upper right corner of the frame. As you can see it is much sharper.

And in image 2 the centre is less sharp than image 1.

If this is field curvature, as opposed to fence curvature, it doesn't seem all that severe. I don't know if you can expect significantly better from a different lens in the same price range.

What are you shooting that this much field curvature is a problem, other than tests that give you a reason to be dissatisfied?

FingerPainter wrote:

Matt_24 wrote:

I know this isn't a brick wall but the protruding boards are all level so ignore the boards further back.

Image #1 the camera was focused with live view on the center right protruding board.

Image #2 the camera was focused with live view in the upper right corner of the frame. As you can see it is much sharper.

And in image 2 the centre is less sharp than image 1.

If this is field curvature, as opposed to fence curvature, it doesn't seem all that severe. I don't know if you can expect significantly better from a different lens in the same price range.

What are you shooting that this much field curvature is a problem, other than tests that give you a reason to be dissatisfied?

trains, locomotive is fairly close and the hills/landscape in the background is oof in the corners. Look at the thread's first post's second image, the hills are mush in the corners.

Matt_24 wrote:

Tuonov2 wrote:

Matt_24 wrote:

Another source, they could have had a bad copy. Do you still have the VRII, G2 and the F4? How did the field curvature compare? Do you have samples?

No, I only own the VR2 now.

I upgraded my 80-200 to a VR1 which I wasn't really happy with, sold that and got an f4, I missed the shallow DOF @2.8 on my D500, so I only had that for a short while. Then I thought I'd save a bit of money and buy the G2 over a VR2 but the AF was inconsistent and it wouldn't AF at all on my V2&V3 so I went full circle and did what I should have done in the first place and got the VR2. All purchased used so I didn't lose any money and it was an interesting process nonetheless.

For what I use the lens for field curvature is irrelevant so it's not something I even considered, none of them were bad enough to notice. The only lenses that give a totally flat field are macro lenses, maybe the Nikon or Sigma 180mm macro's ould suit you better?

Matt_24 wrote:

trains, locomotive is fairly close and the hills/landscape in the background is oof in the corners. Look at the thread's first post's second image, the hills are mush in the corners.

Cant see the image of a train, but it sounds more like a DOF issue than field curvature.

Tuonov2 wrote:

Matt_24 wrote:

Tuonov2 wrote:

Matt_24 wrote:

I upgraded my 80-200 to a VR1 which I wasn't really happy with, sold that and got an f4, I missed the shallow DOF @2.8 on my D500, so I only had that for a short while. Then I thought I'd save a bit of money and buy the G2 over a VR2 but the AF was inconsistent and it wouldn't AF at all on my V2&V3 so I went full circle and did what I should have done in the first place and got the VR2. All purchased used so I didn't lose any money and it was an interesting process nonetheless.

For what I use the lens for field curvature is irrelevant so it's not something I even considered, none of them were bad enough to notice. The only lenses that give a totally flat field are macro lenses, maybe the Nikon or Sigma 180mm macro's ould suit you better?

I don't need flat field curvature just less forward oriented curvature than the 70-200 f4. It's only a problem some of the time. A minor reduction in field curvature might make a big difference.

Also can I put a 70-200 f4 or 70-200 E style hood lens on the VRII so I can stand it on the hood while switching lenses. Some people claim the F4 is sharper than the VRII you might have had a bad copy. If the G2 is not consistent I might be best off saving for the E.

Matt_24 wrote:

Tuonov2 wrote:

Matt_24 wrote:

Tuonov2 wrote:

Matt_24 wrote:

I don't need flat field curvature just less forward oriented curvature than the 70-200 f4. It's only a problem some of the time. A minor reduction in field curvature might make a big difference.

Also can I put a 70-200 f4 or 70-200 E style hood lens on the VRII so I can stand it on the hood while switching lenses. Some people claim the F4 is sharper than the VRII you might have had a bad copy. If the G2 is not consistent I might be best off saving for the E.

Do you have a working example of the problem you are seeing, not a fence or wall, but a train shot you weren't happy with?

briantilley

Tuonov2 wrote:

Do you have a working example of the problem you are seeing, not a fence or wall, but a train shot you weren't happy with?

Here's the OP's original thread on this subject, with a train example.  I don't think anyone who responded felt the problem was field curvature.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads