Contax T3, Provia 400X and Flextight X5

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
pharoldo
pharoldo Forum Member • Posts: 70
Contax T3, Provia 400X and Flextight X5

Im currently debating if i should get a Contax T3 or a Leica CM... so i digged up some old Contax T3 photos to look at...

pharoldo's gear list:pharoldo's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Apple iPhone XS
Canon EOS 1100D (EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50) Pentax X-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Swordman Contributing Member • Posts: 791
Re: Contax T3, Provia 400X and Flextight X5

The Contax T3 doesn't get a lot of love on dpreview, but I think it's awesome. It's the best p&s film camera, that's for sure.

pharoldo
OP pharoldo Forum Member • Posts: 70

It got realy expensiv this days! I remember buying it for 500.-USD!

I realy want to buy it againe, after debating if i should get the t3 or leica cm i decided for the t3! I cant remember getting a photo out of focus with it and the lens and its contrast is amazing. The meter works realy well. Also the t3 is smaller then the cm.

have to save up for it, its the perfect take everywhere camera!

i8z Forum Member • Posts: 60

The T3 might be the best 35mm pocket camera around. I still have one but I seldom use it because it can no longer be repaired. I try and save it as a second film camera for trips. My suggestion would be to buy a camera that can still be repaired. for most of my small camera uses I used a Leica MDA (The blind leica) and a voigtlander lens. Sure, it is larger than a leica CM or Contact T3, but if you spent almost two grand on a T3 and it doesn't work, what are your options?

However,

If you buy a cheap olympus point and shoot and it breaks you can just find another. I hope I am not coming off as a jerk.

i8z's gear list:i8z's gear list
Sony RX1R Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH +4 more
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,091

i8z wrote:

The T3 might be the best 35mm pocket camera around. I still have one but I seldom use it because it can no longer be repaired. I try and save it as a second film camera for trips.

cameras don’t like not being used, that can break them as well

My suggestion would be to buy a camera that can still be repaired. for most of my small camera uses I used a Leica MDA (The blind leica) and a voigtlander lens. Sure, it is larger than a leica CM or Contact T3, but if you spent almost two grand on a T3 and it doesn't work, what are your options?

However,

If you buy a cheap olympus point and shoot and it breaks you can just find another. I hope I am not coming off as a jerk.

I don’t think you can buy a “cheap” Mju ii anymore,  they’re going for over  twice the price of a Nikon F80 + 50mm, which is a much better camera

citizenlouie Senior Member • Posts: 1,231

Very good photos, especially the first two, which you used the backlit situation very well (especially considering you're using a slide film!).

The mountains in the first photo is very interesting.  Where is it?

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +18 more

i8z wrote:

The T3 might be the best 35mm pocket camera around. I still have one but I seldom use it because it can no longer be repaired. I try and save it as a second film camera for trips. My suggestion would be to buy a camera that can still be repaired. for most of my small camera uses I used a Leica MDA (The blind leica) and a voigtlander lens. Sure, it is larger than a leica CM or Contact T3, but if you spent almost two grand on a T3 and it doesn't work, what are your options?

However,

Apparently, there's a place in New York that can repair the T3. I'm sure there are other places, too.

Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,091

Swordman wrote:

i8z wrote:

However,

Apparently, there's a place in New York that can repair the T3. I'm sure there are other places, too.

Apparently PPP Repairs can do certain T3 repair (https://theartoffilm.co/industry-insight-ppp-repairs-pierro-pozella/) but I’ve never sent anything to him.

Overrank wrote:

Swordman wrote:

i8z wrote:

However,

Apparently PPP Repairs can do certain T3 repair (https://theartoffilm.co/industry-insight-ppp-repairs-pierro-pozella/) but I’ve never sent anything to him.

There's also this place in Dubai - I don't know for sure if they can repair a T3, but they repaired an Olympus Pen F that was deemed irreparable (without a donor camera) by a camera engineer in England.

pharoldo

citizenlouie wrote:

Very good photos, especially the first two, which you used the backlit situation very well (especially considering you're using a slide film!).

The mountains in the first photo is very interesting. Where is it?

Thank you!

its in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

pharoldo

Overrank wrote:

Swordman wrote:

i8z wrote:

However,

PPP Repairs is where i hope to fix the T3 if something happens!

marc petzold
marc petzold Senior Member • Posts: 1,560

Swordman wrote:

The Contax T3 doesn't get a lot of love on dpreview, but I think it's awesome. It's the best p&s film camera, that's for sure.

Yes, since 2001 already. And since some Celebrities made very lately Contax famous again, the prices have been skyrocketed to absurd Prices....sad, but true. Being a happy Camper, Contax Shooter since 1989.

-- hide signature --

"The Best Camera is the One That's with You" ~ Chase Jarvis

marc petzold's gear list:marc petzold's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a7 +57 more
citizenlouie Senior Member • Posts: 1,231

marc petzold wrote:

Swordman wrote:

Yes, since 2001 already. And since some Celebrities made very lately Contax famous again, the prices have been skyrocketed to absurd Prices....sad, but true. Being a happy Camper, Contax Shooter since 1989.

I used Contax S2 briefly.  I love how sharp the photos came out.  C/Y lenses are really magnificent.

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads