help with developing failure

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Bags27 Contributing Member • Posts: 740
help with developing failure

I just developed 2 rolls of Kentmere 100 in Ilf3 1:9, 5 minutes @68 degrees. I inverted 4X/minute as per Ilford instructions. I used 600 ml of developer, ditto stop and fix. I took the pictures within the same couple of hours and loaded them at the same time in my dark bag. thought I did everything correctly. One roll turned out perfectly, the other looked like this. I did the 2 rolls in a Paterson 3 roll tank and can't remember if this was the top or bottom reel. (One thing I'm thinking is that maybe I should have kept in the 3rd reel and put it on top even though it had no film, assuring that after an inversion, both film reels settled in.) Oh, one thing I know I forget to do! I forgot to tap the canister after the inversions. But this doesn't look like that problem. Any suggestions of what I did wrong? thanks!

neilt3
neilt3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,705
Re: help with developing failure

If your tank holds three spools , you need to either put in three spools or two plus a retaining clip .

I can't remember if the tanks came with one , if not you need to just put in the three spools .

If not , the first time you invert it the spool will move and not necessarily stay in the lower section .

So when you stand the tank up  again part of the top spool is above the developer and fix .

Resulting in part of the roll being under developed , or un-fixed .

neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +41 more
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 58,311

If one roll came out perfectly and the other didn't, I suspect the bad roll was not loaded onto the reel properly. The fact that the problems appear along the edge of the roll indicates maybe some parts missed the groove. Did the problem appear along the whole length of the roll or just parts of it?

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
OP Bags27 Contributing Member • Posts: 740

thanks, both! why I love this forum: such great help.

I'm inclined to believe it's because I didn't load a third (empty) spool. Especially because I forgot to tap after inversion, which, if I had, might have compensated for a spool being stuck about the developer line. Thanks neilt3!

mamallama; it did appear along virtually the entire length of it. But I threaded the film very quickly and maybe I was sloppy. Will check next time!

Thanks again to both of you.

neilt3

Just to add to my first reply , the negatives look pretty thin , was the good roll the same ?

Or have they come out a bit thin ?

Secondly , the negatives shown here look to be evenly developed , even if they've been under-developed .

However  the stripe on the right looks like it been in the fixer longer than the left side which would have been above the fixer .

To get some film that can be scanned , if you refix it at least it should come out even .

Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +41 more
EmmaNems Regular Member • Posts: 225

Bags27 wrote:

I just developed 2 rolls of Kentmere 100 in Ilf3 1:9, 5 minutes @68 degrees. I inverted 4X/minute as per Ilford instructions. I used 600 ml of developer, ditto stop and fix. I took the pictures within the same couple of hours and loaded them at the same time in my dark bag. thought I did everything correctly. One roll turned out perfectly, the other looked like this. I did the 2 rolls in a Paterson 3 roll tank and can't remember if this was the top or bottom reel. (One thing I'm thinking is that maybe I should have kept in the 3rd reel and put it on top even though it had no film, assuring that after an inversion, both film reels settled in.) Oh, one thing I know I forget to do! I forgot to tap the canister after the inversions. But this doesn't look like that problem. Any suggestions of what I did wrong? thanks!

Tapping the tank is to dislodge air bubbles. What you have looks like an entirely different problem. I'd re-fix and re-wash.

neilt3 wrote:

Just to add to my first reply , the negatives look pretty thin , was the good roll the same ?

Secondly , the negatives shown here look to be evenly developed , even if they've been under-developed .

However the stripe on the right looks like it been in the fixer longer than the left side which would have been above the fixer .

To get some film that can be scanned , if you refix it at least it should come out even .

Thanks so much, neilt3. I didn't realize you could refix once it's dry. but it worked! The one on the left is the refixed one; the one on the right is the one that came out okay originally.

I much appreciate your help!

EmmaNems wrote:

Bags27 wrote:

Tapping the tank is to dislodge air bubbles. What you have looks like an entirely different problem. I'd re-fix and re-wash.

thanks, EmmaNems. I didn't see your post until I answered above. I did exactly that!

neilt3

Bags27 wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

However the stripe on the right looks like it been in the fixer longer than the left side which would have been above the fixer .

Thanks so much, neilt3. I didn't realize you could refix once it's dry. but it worked! The one on the left is the refixed one; the one on the right is the one that came out okay originally.

With a bit of luck you should still have some usable negatives , and you'll know how to prevent it happening again .

Worst mess up I've done developing film was to mix up the developer and fix !

Needless to say that roll was very thin ( i.e transparent !) , luckily there was only one film in the tank . I was part way through a developing session if about twenty rolls , and that one needed special treatment .

It got it ...

neilt3 wrote:

Bags27 wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

With a bit of luck you should still have some usable negatives , and you'll know how to prevent it happening again .

Worst mess up I've done developing film was to mix up the developer and fix !

Needless to say that roll was very thin ( i.e transparent !) , luckily there was only one film in the tank . I was part way through a developing session if about twenty rolls , and that one needed special treatment .

It got it ...

Thanks! I've mixed them up as well. I thought I had already done everything wrong that could possibly be wrong...but today gave me confidence that there are more mistakes yet to be made!

smithim Senior Member • Posts: 1,297

From memory, I thought that the Paterson tanks had a white plastic clip to keep the spool in place - if you chose not to use the full number of spools.

smithim wrote:

From memory, I thought that the Paterson tanks had a white plastic clip to keep the spool in place - if you chose not to use the full number of spools.

Thanks for this. Mine didn't come with a clip, nor instructions. This was on the box. Apparently they (wrongly) assume everyone will buy Paterson reels. I use Omega reels which thread film much more easily, but I guess lack the lock to keep them in place when inverted. For a long time, I just used the swizzle stick for agitation, where it wasn't a problem to have fewer than 3 reels, but found it less effective than inversion. So, I created my own problem. Thanks, again!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads