Tamron 17-28mm Sharpness Review, Moire?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
MikeNannie
MikeNannie Regular Member • Posts: 476
Tamron 17-28mm Sharpness Review, Moire?

I just received a new Tamron 17-28mm wide angle zoom. I shot a few test images last night to check the sharpness and notice some odd things in my images. Maybe this is normal, but I want some feedback from others before deciding whether or not to return this lens. 
These shots were all on a tripod with a 2 second timer. Auto focus continuous, at infinity, center of the images. I believe steady shot was also turned off.  Evening light, not the best.
1) Do you think these images are acceptably sharp?
2) You'll notice on closer resolutions that there are some odd effects, possibly moire, but I've never seen this in any other photos from my a7iii.

This section of the image is where I see the 'moire' or whatever it is

Screen shot from LR, 3:1

Same shot without the circle. 17mm F3.5

17mm F8 - same issue

28mm F8 - moire not noticed

I'll try to upload the raw files too.
I'd appreciate feedback on the overall sharpness of this lens and on the 'moire' if that's what I'm seeing. Also, would you keep this lens?

Thanks.

MikeNannie's gear list:MikeNannie's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 III Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +3 more
MikeNannie
OP MikeNannie Regular Member • Posts: 476
Re: Tamron 17-28mm Sharpness Review, Moire?

I guess I'm not sure how / where to upload the raw files....

I know I'm pixel peeping at 300% (3:1) but like I said, I've never noticed this before with any lens or camera.

Sony a77 II Sony a7 III Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +3 more
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 3,685

It's not the lens, it's crosstalk or "Maze":

https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015499368-What-is-maze-

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +7 more
MikeNannie

DenImage wrote:

It's not the lens, it's crosstalk or "Maze":

https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015499368-What-is-maze-

Den

Interesting. I've tried moving the sliders for sharpness, color noise etc in LR, and the issue is persistent. So, I'm assuming this is normal and not much I can do about it?

from another shot in the same set.

There's a slider in DXO Photolab that helps reduce the effect, but I rarely use it because the aberration doesn't appear very often. Occasionally I see it, but not often. I don't think Lightroom has a correction for it.

Here's an older thread about it:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4221154

Maybe others here know other fixes for it?

Den

Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +7 more
MikeNannie

Thanks Den. Learn something new all the time. What are your thoughts on the overall sharpness of this lens based on these images?

MikeNannie wrote:

Thanks Den. Learn something new all the time. What are your thoughts on the overall sharpness of this lens based on these images?

I don't see any issues with the lens from your samples.

I usually do a simple brick wall test to look for decentering (one side softer than the other) or tilting (one corner softer than the other).

Dont worry too much about it, just go out and enjoy your gear and take some good photos đŸ˜‰

Den

jb12 Regular Member • Posts: 194

MikeNannie wrote:

I guess I'm not sure how / where to upload the raw files....

I know I'm pixel peeping at 300% (3:1) but like I said, I've never noticed this before with any lens or camera.

You can upload to the wetransfer web site and post the link here

MikeNannie
werdnak New Member • Posts: 21

Like others have said, it isn't the lens - it's the sensor.

When you're dealing with shooting towards lot of closeknit vertical/horizontal lines, you'll encounter issues with moire. I tend to see it most when photographing men in finely striped/pinstriped suits as well as suspension cables on bridges.

It's a bit annoying to fix in post but do-able. Lightroom has a brush slider for correcting moire built in that works decently for quick fixes.

werdnak's gear list:werdnak's gear list
Sony a7 III Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads