**PART 2** This Week Through Your Eyes 2020.07.04

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
woodsider79
woodsider79 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,081
Looking down

From the Cat's Back ridge, there are interesting views on either side. Evening light was wonderful.

To the west

To the east. This is a steeply plunging hillside covered in bracken, levelling out at the bottom to farmland.

-- hide signature --

woodsider

woodsider79
Re: been missing those morning mists

These are fabulous. I think #2 is my pick.

When you say cold months, what sort of temperatures are we talking?

-- hide signature --

woodsider

woodsider79
Re: Tigers Clough

Very interesting to see the side by side comparison. Would it be inappropriate to say that I think I prefer the Oly rendering? 

-- hide signature --

woodsider

woodsider79
Re: Tenuta Riviera

This looks an interesting place. If the place is derelict, I wonder about the story behind the sculpture?

-- hide signature --

woodsider

woodsider79
Re: Saturday shots

That's a nice lapwing. And the Goldfinch of course. Where do the ferries run from into Tallinn?

-- hide signature --

woodsider

Wormsmeat
OP Wormsmeat Forum Pro • Posts: 20,788

The Oly holds up pretty well in these.

Wormsmeat's gear list:Wormsmeat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +6 more
Wormsmeat
Re: Images From This Mornings Excursion

Love the first three, The first is very Edward Hopper.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +6 more
G Dickson
G Dickson Senior Member • Posts: 1,204

woodsider79 wrote:

These are fabulous. I think #2 is my pick.

When you say cold months, what sort of temperatures are we talking?

Many thanks.  The thermometer this morning (inside the open main area of the lodge) read 9 degrees c when I jumped in the boat.  But on the river it gets a fair bit colder with the descending cold air, especially on a moving boat.  Or an open game drive vehicle... It can get bitter.  Coldest time is just before sunrise.

Open plains to the north of the Kafue National Park I have seen zero degrees.

I consider myself a hardy Scotsman, but this morning I was dressed like I would to go walking in Scotland in Winter.  Down jacket, gloves, woolly hat - the works.

Mid afternoon though is a perfect 25 degrees.  Its actually my favourite time of the year in terms of weather and pretty much a perfect climate.  But a lot of people do get caught out thinking that "Africa" is going to be hot no matter the time of year.  Our altitude is almost 3,500 feet.  Most of Zambia is basically one big plateau.

October though is a sweltering nightmare!

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
Tacitvs Regular Member • Posts: 149
Sunset over Newhaven Harbour, Edinburgh

Tacitvs's gear list:Tacitvs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
G Dickson
Re: Looking down

Wow.  Absolutely stunning countryside.  That first one is like a rural dream.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
G Dickson
Re: Sunset over Newhaven Harbour, Edinburgh

Lovely shot.  I would have cropped it a tiny bit just to get rid of the bit of harbour wall protruding into the left side of the frame.

I really like the balance of light.

Steve Monks
Steve Monks Contributing Member • Posts: 779

NCV wrote:

An interesting set, especially because we can see the same scene shot with cutting edge M43 and FF mirrorless in a "real life" situation and not the usual test chart stuff.

I am struck how different the water colour is in the first two, whilst the greens more or less match.

Looks like an interesting place to explore.

I have always found 1/15 about right for waterfalls and such.

It's not a very scientific comparison and all the images have been through my usual level of localised tweaking, although the aim there is to get the best image I can from the flat looking raw file that I always start with.

The colour thing is the result of auto white balance. I typically shoot with this on and only correct it if it's significantly off or I want to push it differently (warm or cool) compared to what the camera picked which is generally neutral to cold, but I have noticed every camera I own has a different signature tint, the worst offenders being the Fujis which take on a subtle magenta tint in the shadows and midtones in overcast situations.

Fortunately Capture One has an excellent tool to match colours between two images, so here again are both of those images with that applied to the Olympus one to match the Z7 image (I'd say each had a cast, but I preferred the Nikon cast in this situation).

Note these both contain local levels adjustments in various places, so they wont match in terms of tonality, but the colours look pretty close to me. These are also full res which gives a good comparison of the image stabilisation between the Z7 at 0.2 secs and the Oly at 1.0 sec if you look at something static like the brown soil on the left hand bank for example. Of course, any sane person trying to do long exposures would use a tripod, but it' s a neat trick when you can't face carrying one and never fails to amaze me.

Z7 - 0.2 secs, hand held.

E-M1.2 - 1.0 sec hand held. Colour matched to Z7 image.

Steve Monks's gear list:Steve Monks's gear list
Nikon D810 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T3 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +20 more
Vahur Krouverk Senior Member • Posts: 1,229
Re: Looking down

Really nice landscape, though it makes you to want to see big picture as well.

These trees in first image seem to form message. Hold on, is it HELP written there?

Vahur Krouverk Senior Member • Posts: 1,229

woodsider79 wrote:

That's a nice lapwing. And the Goldfinch of course.

Thanks.

Where do the ferries run from into Tallinn?

This particular ferry should be from Helsinki. And I think that it's only line currently open, usually there is regular line to Stockholm but in current situation it is not operating.

Steve Monks

Wormsmeat wrote:

The Oly holds up pretty well in these.

I think so too. The IBIS gives it a genuine advantage in this sort of situation. Using other cameras reminds me of how much I take it for granted in low light situations.

Nikon D810 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T3 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +20 more
Steve Monks

woodsider79 wrote:

Very interesting to see the side by side comparison. Would it be inappropriate to say that I think I prefer the Oly rendering?

My preference varied from shot to shot. In some cases I'd choose the Nikon, in others the Oly. #4/#5 were a case in point, I found the Oly image much easier to work with in that particular instance.

Both cameras were being pushed a bit under the conditions though and I'd say the Nikon was not being used to its strengths attempting to take long(ish) exposures hand held. Conversely, the shot of the tree just didn't work on the Oly without blowing the highlights or resorting to bracketing, so there's definitely a case for each.

yyr
yyr Forum Pro • Posts: 13,560
Re: LEF

I'm very disappointed - thought I was going to see a photo of beer.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

yyr's gear list:yyr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R II Leica CL
yyr
yyr Forum Pro • Posts: 13,560

Beautiful. ll All good but the third is my pick. I'm jealous, you have such wonderful scenery there.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

yyr's gear list:yyr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R II Leica CL
Wormsmeat
Re: Tenuta Riviera

Boaria - I'm guessing that's where boars were kept / slaughtered but wondered whether salariati meant treasury or salt-house in that context; I'm aware the word salary is derived from salt.

Wormsmeat

#2 is a great dive shot.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads