Going on a backpacking trip, need advice on what lenses to bring

Started 2 months ago | Questions
danjmurph90 New Member • Posts: 2
Going on a backpacking trip, need advice on what lenses to bring

I would prefer to only bring 1-3 lenses with me on this trip because I dont want the extra weight.  I was hoping someone could offer their views on what would be best to pack.

I have a Nikon D750.

My lens collection includes:

Tamron FX 90mm macro F2.8

Nikon FX AF-S 50mm 1.8G

Tamron DX 16-300mm F3.5-6.3

Nikon DX kit lens 18-55mm

I also have an Altura 0.43x super wide angle adapter

I was hoping to grab a wide angle lens but time got the best of me and now I wont be able to before the trip.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ultimoInfierno Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: Going on a backpacking trip, need advice on what lenses to bring

danjmurph90 wrote:

I would prefer to only bring 1-3 lenses with me on this trip because I dont want the extra weight. I was hoping someone could offer their views on what would be best to pack.

I have a Nikon D750.

Nikon FX AF-S 50mm 1.8G

I was hoping to grab a wide angle lens but time got the best of me and now I wont be able to before the trip.

In cases like that, I tend to select a travel zoom - here the Tamron 16-300 - and the 50mm lens (only used in low light). But... isn’t the D750 a full frame camera?

Regards

landscaper1
landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,715

ultimoInfierno wrote:

danjmurph90 wrote:

I would prefer to only bring 1-3 lenses with me on this trip because I dont want the extra weight. I was hoping someone could offer their views on what would be best to pack.

I have a Nikon D750.

Nikon FX AF-S 50mm 1.8G

In cases like that, I tend to select a travel zoom - here the Tamron 16-300 - and the 50mm lens (only used in low light). But... isn’t the D750 a full frame camera?

Regards

Yes, and it would help if you gave us an idea of the kinds of images you tend to capture.  For example, if your interests lean heavily towards macro and wide-angle images and little else, then what would be the point of taking anything with telephoto reach?

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
P.S. I give permission to anyone wishing to download any of my images solely for the purpose of reposting in the same thread with C&C.
-----
"Open up your eyes and look around you.
There's a lotta world you've never seen." Pan American Airlines radio commercial

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +10 more
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,466

Either the 18-55 or the super zoom.  Personally I mainly bring normal zoom on my trips. You didn't say what kind of photos you like to take

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 6,686

Don't know your age, physical ability or where you're going or what you will see  but I'd opt for super zoom. Years ago in my younger days I would day hike with an SLR and 2 or 3 lenses but now I'd probably just take my Sony RX100 VI.

Next time give more details.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,509

danjmurph90 wrote:

I have a Nikon D750.

Nikon FX AF-S 50mm 1.8G

After more than 15,000 miles on mountain and forest trails, I know I'd be using the 18-55 about 90% of the time. The 50mm might get used for some close-ups, but I doubt that I'd use it enough to bother. The bulk of the photos would be landscape.

Actually, an ultra-wide zoom would suit me better than anything.

jkjond
jkjond Veteran Member • Posts: 9,788

Hmm, so you upgraded to FX and kept the old DX lenses. For your trip I'd buy a cheap DX body and take the DX zooms. It will be more compact and lighter than the 750, though not as weather resistant.

When faced with a backpacking trip of a lifetime I ended up buying an Olympus OMD5ii and pancake zoom, and when I had that stolen I replaced it with another plus 14-150 - way better than hulking my nikon FX kit around and the IS makes the long zoom perfectly useable. For panos and wide stuff I just used my phone.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer https://johnleechstudio.smugmug.com
You are welcome to reprocess and repost my pics on DPR.

1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,435

danjmurph90 wrote:

I have a Nikon D750.

Nikon FX AF-S 50mm 1.8G

looking at lenses you own, i would recommend taking your 16-300mm lenses, only, if your happy with its IQ. the less lenses you take with you the better off you would be! but in the mean time, i wouldn't miss an important wide angle lens, such as a 35mm or 24mm lens for the purpose of cutting down on extra weight! i think you know what type of photography you do on your trips so prepare yourself for those circumstances! your 16-300mm covers WA and a decent amount of long reach so you don't have to worry about hauling extra lenses.

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,033

landscaper1 wrote:

ultimoInfierno wrote:

danjmurph90 wrote:

I have a Nikon D750.

Nikon FX AF-S 50mm 1.8G

Regards

Yes, and it would help if you gave us an idea of the kinds of images you tend to capture. For example, if your interests lean heavily towards macro and wide-angle images and little else, then what would be the point of taking anything with telephoto reach?

To Landscaper's question I would add, crucially, two questions.  Are you going alone, with other photographers or with others who are less interested in photography?  Are you on a day trip or many nights camping?

If solo or with other photographers then photography and lenses choices/changes become a prime consideration and very feasible. If with other non photographers than convenience becomes the main consideration rather than changing lenses so as not to hold them up.  If a day trip then space for non photo stuff less of an issue, but if overnight, then capacity to carry food, cooking stuff and sleeping bag is a consideration.

For example, if with other photographers for a day trip I'd take primes and a tripod. If with non photographers on a multi-night trip I'd take one zoom and one fast prime.

In short, difficult to offer objective advice without a few crucial facts.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
Raymond Cho Senior Member • Posts: 2,132

Most definitely. Also like jkjond. What is the exact trip like and where are you going? Is it a holiday relaxation, is it alone or with others, do others also enjoy photography are you going to be in one spot for a bit of a while to snap and concentrate on photography? Also from your list you only have the 50mm and the 90mm macro on full frame FX camera. Do you still have a DX camera? Maybe simply use that instead? Maybe pick up another DX camera and just use your 18-55mm? That is if it is more about travel and less about dedicated photography. Instead of this you could also pick up quite a good deal now with some of the second hand mirrorless gear which would make it even more compact and lighter than a DX dSLR. If you don't foresee yourself using the DX lenses maybe sell them?

Instead of a interchangeable lens camera you could also pick up something portable like a Sony RX100. Backpacking can mean different things to people. As mentioned before above what and exactly how is the trip like? What is your definition of it. To some people backpacking means hiking up the mountain with a sleeping bag and a tent or use the huts and carry their food and water with them. To some other people it means doing that 'OE' overseas experience and go and live in hostels and travelling around the world and spending most of their time in the cities from North America to Europe to parts of Africa and Asia to South America ...

Raymond Cho's gear list:Raymond Cho's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D70 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +13 more
bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,947

I've done a lot of backpacking and yes almost always weight will be very important.

When I was doing a lot of backpacking many years ago I caried a Vivitar 28-50 on my Nikon FE.  These days I would want something like a Nikon 24-85, or I would look for an older but similar manual focus lens.

mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,123

danjmurph90 wrote:

I have a Nikon D750.

Nikon FX AF-S 50mm 1.8G

My advice, if you need someone else to tell you what camera gear to pack, just take your cell phone.

I don't see much difference between somebody asking which lens to take to XYZ, than a question like: "I'm going on a backpacking trip, I am taking dehydrated meals, should I take lasagna or Salsbury steak? Which will I like the best?"

mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads