Blurred images with Hoya polarizer filter

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Adelaide86 New Member • Posts: 1
Blurred images with Hoya polarizer filter

Hi everyone! I need your help!  I 've been using the polarising filter for the first time, and I realized the images tend to look... I would say, not really sharp. Especially with the greens. Do you know why is that? I tried rotating the filter to change the intensity and was the same.  These are just a quick sample, but I tried with a tripod and was the same.

Maybe is what the filter does?. Great with the skies, but I definitely don't like how changes the colours in the trees and plants.

Thank you for your help!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,475
Re: Blurred images with Hoya polarizer filter

Are you in the UK ? It's been a bit windy lately perhaps the blurring you are seeing is subject movement,hard to tell just looking on my iPad but the moderately slow shutter speed combined with a stiff breeze may be a contributory factor here.

ThrillaMozilla Veteran Member • Posts: 4,956
Re: Blurred images with Hoya polarizer filter
1

And you expect a razor-sharp picture of a three-dimensional subject at f/1.8?

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

And you didn't use a static subject or compare it without polarizer?

 ThrillaMozilla's gear list:ThrillaMozilla's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,475
Re: Blurred images with Hoya polarizer filter
4

ThrillaMozilla wrote:

And you expect a razor-sharp picture of a three-dimensional subject at f/1.8?

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

I doubt it,the OP was shooting @F/9

ThrillaMozilla Veteran Member • Posts: 4,956
Re: Blurred images with Hoya polarizer filter

Dareshooter wrote:

ThrillaMozilla wrote:

And you expect a razor-sharp picture of a three-dimensional subject at f/1.8?

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

I doubt it,the OP was shooting @F/9

Oh, you're right. I was fooled by the data displayed on the forum.

The other comment that I added still applies, though.  Plus, the OP posted an 8 MP image.  That could have a thing or two to do with it.  A good polarizer is not likely to do that.

 ThrillaMozilla's gear list:ThrillaMozilla's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,475
Re: Blurred images with Hoya polarizer filter

ThrillaMozilla wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

ThrillaMozilla wrote:

And you expect a razor-sharp picture of a three-dimensional subject at f/1.8?

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

I doubt it,the OP was shooting @F/9

Oh, you're right. I was fooled by the data displayed on the forum. The other comment that I added still applies, though.

Regarding your second comment I agree as for the first , If  I had ten quid for every time I made  that kind of error I'd be a rich man 

Old Greenlander Senior Member • Posts: 4,267
Re: Blurred images with Hoya polarizer filter

These type on tests must be done on tripod and timer

if you have the filters’ kit that came with the lens that is  like $30 for three fillters with margin included

if that is the case for a $10 filter is that you get

-- hide signature --

Old Greenlander
"I show the world the way I see it"
40 years of photography and still learning
https://www.juzaphoto.com/me.php?l=en&p=88256

 Old Greenlander's gear list:Old Greenlander's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +18 more
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,722
Re: Blurred images with Hoya polarizer filter
1

Adelaide86 wrote:

<snip>

Maybe is what the filter does?. Great with the skies, but I definitely don't like how changes the colours in the trees and plants.

Thank you for your help!

I would guess the top photo is with the polarizer at full strength. It does give leaves a flat look because the polarizer eliminates all the reflections from the leaves. Who knew glare was so important huh? 🙂

What you can do is back off the polarizer to some intermediate strength until it looks good to you.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

 lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +30 more
Bob
Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,220
Re: Blurred images with Hoya polarizer filter
3

First, your camera is changing both ISO and exposure comp.  Or maybe you're changing them?  It seems odd to be tinkering with those settings.  Your boosting the ISO, but then taking away exposure comp - so they're just cancelling each other.  You should pick an ISO and leave exposure comp at zero in this situation.

Second, this scene does not warrant a polarizer at all.  Not sure what you're trying to do.  Polarizers are good for skies, clouds, and water reflections.  None of that in your scene. Even the leaves don't have that much glare to warrant the use of a polarizer.

stevenj2
stevenj2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,032
Re: Blurred images with Hoya polarizer filter
1

Low grade filter in the range? Not clean? Focus mode? etc.

 stevenj2's gear list:stevenj2's gear list
Ricoh GR II Nikon D750 Sony a6300 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +33 more
bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 10,367
Re: Blurred images with Hoya polarizer filter

Bob wrote:

First, your camera is changing both ISO and exposure comp. Or maybe you're changing them? It seems odd to be tinkering with those settings. Your boosting the ISO, but then taking away exposure comp - so they're just cancelling each other. You should pick an ISO and leave exposure comp at zero in this situation.

I see no problem except that exposure compensation is quite low.
Looks like Manual mode with ISO Auto turned on. IMO that's a good choice.

Second, this scene does not warrant a polarizer at all. Not sure what you're trying to do. Polarizers are good for skies, clouds, and water reflections. None of that in your scene. Even the leaves don't have that much glare to warrant the use of a polarizer.

Agreed. Like any tool a polarizer should be used when warranted.

Since the D750 has a mirror I wonder if it's a linear polarizer rather than circular; that could have a negative effect on focus.

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

ThrillaMozilla Veteran Member • Posts: 4,956
Re: Blurred images with Hoya polarizer filter

bclaff wrote:

Since the D750 has a mirror I wonder if it's a linear polarizer rather than circular; that could have a negative effect on focus.

That is certainly possible.  It looks to me like the images are simply out of focus.

 ThrillaMozilla's gear list:ThrillaMozilla's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads