I’m still not sure how to proceed!!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Ad12 Contributing Member • Posts: 545
I’m still not sure how to proceed!!

I love my xt30. 18-55, and arriving soon is the 10-24, super excited. For travel, European cities, architecture, landscapes , very excited’!

my other passion is wildlife photography and birds. I use my 800d and Tamron 100-400. I was planning to keep it alongside my xt30. But the more I use my Fuji the more the rebel DSLR annoys me with the no direct controls!

I can not afford a Fuji 100-400, probably ever. And I feel it wouldn’t fit my xt30.  I thought about teasing my 800d for an 80d, but I dunno about the DSLR anymore, I love Evf and the information.

ive narrowed my wildlife bird options down to the following;

-  keep 800d and Tamron 100-400. Had amazing results, just frustrating me now to use the rebel

- trade rebel for used 80d, more controls, custom functions, bigger VF, tracking customisation

- I can buy a fringer adaptor and try the Tamron on the xt30 but the size and battery and lack of WR won’t help long days of wildlife shooting

- I got a quote from MPB-  I can trade my 50mm, 10-18, 17-50,55-250, and rebel, pay £60, and get a like new XT3.    Get a fringer, and have xt3 fringer and Tamron 100-400. But I’m unsure if an xt3 makes my xt30 redundant. But really, I want a two body solution like now. Big camera big lens, then small camera wider lenses

thoughts?  I’m very confused. But love shooting my xt30.    Two systems or one?

Ad12's gear list:Ad12's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Fujifilm X-T30 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel T7i / EOS 800D / Kiss X9i Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,131
Re: I’m still not sure how to proceed!!

Your X-T30 won't be redundant if you pick up a cheap 27mm lens so you can have a compact camera.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +4 more
Cubits Regular Member • Posts: 174

The 100-400 is an amazing lens, and hard to find an alternative to. If you bird on fuji it's the one.

The 50-230 will get you halfway there for $100! It's not really quite the birding length, but a 300mm equivalent ain't a bad start for that money, and it balances a lot better on the xt30. It's definitely a fun lens to have at that price, and it travels well. You could even bolt a cheap sony 1.7xTC to the front of the lens to almost hit 400mm, but that’s definitely only for bright days!

I can't comment on how the 400 balances on a xt30, but it's a heft on an XT3 without the grip, and swinging big lenses off tiny bodies is something i got used to a long time ago.

7rvar Regular Member • Posts: 160

Ad12 wrote:

trade my 50mm, 10-18, 17-50,55-250, and rebel, pay £60, and get a

Fujifilm 100-400.

Then get a used second body like X-T1, X-E2, X-T2, etc.

Or buy a newer Canon body like the 80d you suggested would also be fine.

I don't see the point in trading everything for an X-T3 and expensive adapter when you already have the X-T30.

Just my opinioin.

7rvar's gear list:7rvar's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T20 +19 more
RecklessCoding Regular Member • Posts: 365

Ad12 wrote:

I love my xt30. 18-55, and arriving soon is the 10-24, super excited. For travel, European cities, architecture, landscapes , very excited’!

my other passion is wildlife photography and birds. I use my 800d and Tamron 100-400. I was planning to keep it alongside my xt30. But the more I use my Fuji the more the rebel DSLR annoys me with the no direct controls!

I can not afford a Fuji 100-400, probably ever. And I feel it wouldn’t fit my xt30. I thought about teasing my 800d for an 80d, but I dunno about the DSLR anymore, I love Evf and the information.

- keep 800d and Tamron 100-400. Had amazing results, just frustrating me now to use the rebel

- trade rebel for used 80d, more controls, custom functions, bigger VF, tracking customisation

- I can buy a fringer adaptor and try the Tamron on the xt30 but the size and battery and lack of WR won’t help long days of wildlife shooting

- I got a quote from MPB- I can trade my 50mm, 10-18, 17-50,55-250, and rebel, pay £60, and get a like new XT3. Get a fringer, and have xt3 fringer and Tamron 100-400. But I’m unsure if an xt3 makes my xt30 redundant. But really, I want a two body solution like now. Big camera big lens, then small camera wider lenses

thoughts? I’m very confused. But love shooting my xt30. Two systems or one?

One system is cheaper and easier to maintain as you can build better muscle memory and familiarise yourself with the relevant processing techniques. In case of Fuji, you get access to Film Simulations that you may enjoy  on both cameras this way.

RecklessCoding's gear list:RecklessCoding's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +3 more
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,676

RecklessCoding wrote:

Ad12 wrote:

I can not afford a Fuji 100-400, probably ever. And I feel it wouldn’t fit my xt30. I thought about teasing my 800d for an 80d, but I dunno about the DSLR anymore, I love Evf and the information.

- keep 800d and Tamron 100-400. Had amazing results, just frustrating me now to use the rebel

- I got a quote from MPB- I can trade my 50mm, 10-18, 17-50,55-250, and rebel, pay £60, and get a like new XT3. Get a fringer, and have xt3 fringer and Tamron 100-400. But I’m unsure if an xt3 makes my xt30 redundant. But really, I want a two body solution like now. Big camera big lens, then small camera wider lenses

One system is cheaper and easier to maintain as you can build better muscle memory and familiarise yourself with the relevant processing techniques. In case of Fuji, you get access to Film Simulations that you may enjoy on both cameras this way.

Your lens is listed as comparable with the Fringer adapter. Get one and add a camera rain coat. I use the largest of the Think Tank Photo Emergency Rain models with my Sigma 150-600 C and it dose the job well.  It comes in a pouch so on a day when it might rain you can carry it on your belt.  As for the batteries, they will last at least an hour each so carry a bunch.  Third party batteries are reasonably priced.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
Artur Darulewski Regular Member • Posts: 112

I don't see the point in trading everything for an X-T3 and expensive adapter when you already have the X-T30.

If he really wants to have WR then X-T3 is a good choice, especially handling with 100-400 is much better. Moreover it would be nice to have the same technology (sensor/ AF/ capabilities) in two different bodies.

I also have workhorse X-T3 + 100-400 and X-T20 as a second body for smaller lenses. X-Txx bodies are small enough and might be used as pocketable cameras with EVF (What is essential for me).

Who loves X-T30 - will love X-T3 too, much more I  think.

Cheers,

Artur

Artur Darulewski's gear list:Artur Darulewski's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
OP Ad12 Contributing Member • Posts: 545

It’s tough, and has cash flow implications. Ive decided to slow down and firstly assess what duplicate capacity I have! For BiF and wildlife to be fair, my DSLR i set to shutter priority and just adjust that. It can continue to be acceptable for now.

I have,

X-T30

18-55

10-24 (arriving Monday!!!! XD)

Therefore, these two lenses overlap

sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS

EF-S 10-18. (Always annoyed me being only 18)

I’ll also sell the 50mm f1.8 stm, as portraits on a DSLR is frustrating at f1.8, loving the eye AF on my Fuji!

So for now, i can sell these three!  Keep 55-250, 105 macro, 100-400.

Should i sell the 800d kit lens 18-55, but for what its worth maybe i can sell as a package in the original packaging one day.

Eventually when cash back comes like it did for the 10-24, I can get the 55-200XF, and complete my travel fuji setup, selling the EF-s 55-250!

I’ll worry about my 400mm issues later, as to be fair, my DSLR Tamron output is incredible, incredible. Just the ergonomics of my DSLR that are annoying, but the outputs great.  Where as for travel/hiking, I don’t even take my DSLR now, so I’ll address this first!

Canon EOS Rebel T7i Fujifilm X-T30 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,248

Ad12 wrote:

I would quickly find out if the Fringer would allow a X-T30 or X-T3 to perform adequately with your Tamron100-400.

If that combination doesn't, I would consider getting an 80D.

Personally, if I suddenly start another obsession round with sports photography or wildlife photography, I would still strongly consider using Canon gear. In my situation, it helps to have a good friend I can borrow Canon gear from.

Sure I do have a 100-400 with 1.4x and 2.x teleconverters that I would use first. But, I am prepared for Plan-B (Canon long lenses) if I can't make my Fujifilm gear do what I want it to do when shooting sports or wildlife.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +62 more
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,818

Ad12 wrote:

I think you have it figured out.  You like the Fuji ergo and small mass for your travel and family shooting but want to shoot birds/wildlife/action and can't afford the 100-400.  So that kills Fuji for that part of your passion because you can't get the 100-400.

So right now you should go two systems for a while.  You can go Canon APSC DSLR 80d (a nice little camera) with some cheaper longer glass for birds/wildlife and get some good used deals in that fading arena.  You can pick up some long glass both EF-S and EF (or even L) cheap now.  I see long Canon glass (even L) that is one-third the price I used to pay for it.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +6 more

Greg7579 wrote:

Ad12 wrote:

I think you have it figured out. You like the Fuji ergo and small mass for your travel and family shooting but want to shoot birds/wildlife/action and can't afford the 100-400. So that kills Fuji for that part of your passion because you can't get the 100-400.

So right now you should go two systems for a while. You can go Canon APSC DSLR 80d (a nice little camera) with some cheaper longer glass for birds/wildlife and get some good used deals in that fading arena. You can pick up some long glass both EF-S and EF (or even L) cheap now. I see long Canon glass (even L) that is one-third the price I used to pay for it.

Yes aside from a adapter which doesn’t fill me with confidence, that seems the way forward. I have a Tamron 100-400 which I love. The output is MUCH better than the 55-250 crop plastic lens.  Indeed, I cannot afford the Fuji 100-400 and a bigger fuji body to make it nicer to hold.

For now as above I’ll keep my rebel until pay day! But i need to establish whether the 80d will fulfil the frustrations of my 800d. Namely, no dials/buttons so all menu (one dial only on the thing!!!!), small dark viewfinder, no customisable tracking features like the Fuji has, no AFMA, no custom function options, not weather sealed like my Tamron lens is!  Trading my 800d for an 80d will cost about 350 pounds. But it does seem that it can fulfil most of my frustrations. It has a bigger brighter pentaprism VF, adjustable tracking options, AFMA, weather sealing, 2x custom functions, more manual buttons on top, the top LCD so less menus are needed, wheel on the back so 2 wheels, AFMA.

And another benefit which actually is also a benefit over Fuji - when out shooting all day outdoors even 2 batteries on my rebel is 1200 shots. The 80d is about 1000 shots a battery, and actually even has a battery grip.

So!

I went to MPB

800d, 50mm f1.8 STM, 10-18, sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS

trade the above, for a like new 80d with 300 shutter actuations. MPB will pay me 36 pounds.

I’m really tempted.  The 50mm I don’t like doing portraits with a DSLR, that’s fuji job now. The 10-18 is too short on long end, XF10-24 arriving Monday. 17-50; my XF18-55 can do this job, and the 17-50 has the worst lens flare I’ve ever seen, frustrating.

Thoughts?

Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 2,325

I have both the X-T2 and X-T20 and very much like having the two bodies to work with. I love the larger body with the larger zooms but, using both bodies together, I’ve used either the big 16-55 or 50-140 on the X-T20 (plus a handgrip) with no problem at all on many occasions. I walk around with the 16-55 on the X-T20 all the time. I especially like the smaller primes on the X-T20 by itself, or together with another prime or zoom on the X-T2 if a single focal length will be too restrictive. So long as you have a second lens for the second body, I don’t think you will find it to be redundant at all. I don’t think I could ever go back to a single body again. I probably use both bodies equally. Also, having the same sensors and processors (like yours also would) I can edit the RAW files like they came from the same camera - you will be able to sync exposure and WB settings between them without a problem, great if you use both bodies together for the same event.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +1 more
JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 4,019

Ad12 wrote:

I think your instincts are just right. The alternative to the X-T3 would be going with X-H1 which will give you similar IQ in a larger body, but will not be quite as good for AF with the Fringer.

The largest adapted lens I have is the L200 f/2.8 (not that large at all) - and I'm happy with the pairing of X-T20 and X-T2. For stealth shooting - or just a carry along - I'm very happy with the 27mm on the X-T20, but most of my shooting is with the X-T2... Go with one system and life will be good. I'm always getting frustrated when forced to shoot a second system (have done my share of that).

-- hide signature --

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +21 more

Thanks for the responses! I can’t afford the £1600 Fuji 100-400, and I have a special spot in my heart for my tamron 100-400. I could get the 1.4TC and get new shots I can’t get now, instead of spending £1600 on Fuji 100-400 and then £800 on an xt3!

Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,818

Ad12 wrote:

So!

I went to MPB

trade the above, for a like new 80d with 300 shutter actuations. MPB will pay me 36 pounds.

I’m really tempted. The 50mm I don’t like doing portraits with a DSLR, that’s fuji job now. The 10-18 is too short on long end, XF10-24 arriving Monday. 17-50; my XF18-55 can do this job, and the 17-50 has the worst lens flare I’ve ever seen, frustrating.

Thoughts?

You are doing really well.  You know what you are after and you can surf the bargains for your Canon DSLR gear while building a Fuji arsenal for the future.  You will love the 10-24.

Where are you?

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +6 more
Emile15 Senior Member • Posts: 1,048

I would stick to the two body solution and go for the last option. You may even find that using the long lens on the XT30 isn't so bad, but at least you won't have to.

Emile15's gear list:Emile15's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more

Today I’ve received my XF 10-24 in the mail. I’m very impressed. Haven’t used it yet, but the two things I’m very happy about:

1 - build quality: The build quality compared to the EF-s 10-18 is night and day! It’s a beautiful beautiful lens

2- Size and weight: Based on the specs and images online I was expecting something large that wouldn’t balance well with my XT30. The 10-24 is very small and light and portable, and what’s more, with the Meike grip I can easily hold the camera lens combo with one hand if i wanted (i shoot with my second hand taking the weight anyway below the lens, a habit from the big telephoto).

Can’t wait to use it. I still think the RRP of 849 pounds is too much, but i got this at 579 with cash back. You can see and feel the reason its more expensive than the Canon lens.

Greg7579 wrote:

Ad12 wrote:

So!

I went to MPB

I’m really tempted. The 50mm I don’t like doing portraits with a DSLR, that’s fuji job now. The 10-18 is too short on long end, XF10-24 arriving Monday. 17-50; my XF18-55 can do this job, and the 17-50 has the worst lens flare I’ve ever seen, frustrating.

Thoughts?

You are doing really well. You know what you are after and you can surf the bargains for your Canon DSLR gear while building a Fuji arsenal for the future. You will love the 10-24.

Where are you?

I am based in the UK! I think this is the sensible approach as you say.

My India travel pack was:  t7i, 17-50, 10-18, 55-250

So firstly I think I want to replace that travel/light set. Xt30, 18-55, 10-24, 55-200

Just missing the 200mm!

The only thing ill miss in this three lens solution is a bit of light at the long end of the 18-55. Stationary things with OS its fine, but any movement, the 17-50 F2.8 probably had a stop advantage.  I did some tests recently though, and I was quite impressed with the high ISO performance, it seems better controlled noise than my Canon, so I’m thinking this could make up for the stop of light.

nonicks Regular Member • Posts: 472

Ad12 wrote:

Today I’ve received my XF 10-24 in the mail. I’m very impressed. Haven’t used it yet, but the two things I’m very happy about:

1 - build quality: The build quality compared to the EF-s 10-18 is night and day! It’s a beautiful beautiful lens

2- Size and weight: Based on the specs and images online I was expecting something large that wouldn’t balance well with my XT30. The 10-24 is very small and light and portable, and what’s more, with the Meike grip I can easily hold the camera lens combo with one hand if i wanted (i shoot with my second hand taking the weight anyway below the lens, a habit from the big telephoto).

Can’t wait to use it. I still think the RRP of 849 pounds is too much, but i got this at 579 with cash back. You can see and feel the reason its more expensive than the Canon lens.

Congrats!  The 10-24 is deliciously pretty! Using it with the XT30 ( I use it on my XT20) will be a complete joy. Image quality is excellent except the very extremes when wide open. For 579, you obviously made a super great purchase decision!

nonicks's gear list:nonicks's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads