What camera could IM022 be?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Max5150 Contributing Member • Posts: 595
Re: Correction on product codes

Geesh, for a company that everyone says is dead, they sure are releasing a lot of stuff.

ristar Regular Member • Posts: 296

Oh, I completely missed the E-PL10 release! It looks almost identical to the E-PL9; interestingly, they are so similar the user manuals have the same product code IM008, though the E-PL10 has an additional "Wi-Fi® Logo Certification No.: IM008Z":

https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/pen/man_epl9_e.pdf

https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/pen/man_epl10_e.pdf

ristar's gear list:ristar's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +12 more
allematic Forum Member • Posts: 93
Re: What camera could IM022 be?

Not that it doesn't have Bluetooth but has wifi. I'd bet it's the E-M10 mk iv

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 43,171
Re: On penF can totally get more things

lightnchade wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

lightnchade wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Tilt lcd

much faster processor

hand held high res

faster on/ off

weather sealing

Useful for sure, but how possible or likely.

I can assure you that much faster processor meaning much better AF is very very useful. And for street photography, at least for some of us, FAS vs Tilt LCD is a deal breaker.

For example, weather sealing impacts heat dissipation and so also needs incorporating into the body design.

The same holds true for the overall balance of processor performance, heat, battery life(/size) and body size/shape.

A somewhat faster processor is a given, supporting some of the latest processor tricks that have been conspicuous by their absence in firmware updates (suggesting it had reached most of its firmware's limits).

But it seems highly unlikely, with its position in the market along with the current scenario at Olympus, that it could gain features like hand-held high res, which would presumably need a radical redesign and engineering investment.

Does it? It all depends on how that's implemented on the EM1 MKIII.

It's implemented in EM1 MKIII via the TruePic IX processor.

Well, not just that but the IBIS unit probably also.

In the EM1X it was implement as Dual TruePic VIII processors which were needed to supply the extra processing capability.

This extra processing power enabled:

• Handheld High Res
  • Pro Capture
  • Live ND
  • etc

With the EM5 MKIII it has a single TruePic VIII and these features are absent.

The question is, where do you see Pen-F sitting between the M1 and the M5?

It's possible the new Turbo Pic could fit in the PenF type. Not saying it would but that it's possible.

A new PenF should be the top of the line for the Pens. So it should sit probably between both.

EM1 MKiii, PEN-F, EM5 MKiii

The Pen-F and M5 are 420g cameras. The M1 is a 580g camera.

It is certain possible the next Pen-F could get a TruePic IX, in the same way the PL10 got a TruePic VIII.

Exactly.

But that doesn't automatically convey all capabilities of the processor onto the camera (in the same way the PL10 doesn't get all the capabilities of the EM5).

Well the EPL10 is clearly crippled. Same with EPL9 which is an EPL10.

One significant issue is power, both the capacity in supplying the power, and the in heat management of the heat generated by utilising the processing power. And this is where the body size and mass play a critical role.

This is true. But what I contend is that we can't categorically make a call to discard it because as I said, it depends how it's implemented. And by that I am including the potential fact that the new processor could also be more power efficient.

But then again- maybe not. It all depends

This issue has been a constant topic of discussion in DPR's interviews with the camera engineers from many companies, including Olympus.

It isn't that I don't wish these features for the next (or any) camera, it's simply that I don't see how the currently level of engineering demonstrated by their current offerings would enable it to happen, in a body like the current PEN-F.

I am just saying that it's possible. Unless you know the thermal power dissipation characteristics of the Turbo Pic in the EM1 MKIII and how the body is, it's hard to say and raw a final conclusion.

Basically what I am saying is - it's possible but may not be, but for sure we don't have the data to make the call.

But that's not to say impossible, just currently very unlikely, and with the current turmoil with engineers leaving and not being replaced, perhaps even less so.

Well then again, it depends on how it was implemented on the EM1 MKIII-> meaning, what are the characteristics of that Turbo Pic as it is today.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

mring1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,469

Max5150 wrote:

Geesh, for a company that everyone says is dead, they sure are releasing a lot of stuff.

Ehhh,,,,,not exactly.  EP series is a lot of 90%+ similarity; E-M5MkIII was a sized down M1 Mk II.  M1 Mk III was nice with TruePic 9, but not earth-shaking.

We'll see what's in store.

mring1's gear list:mring1's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads