What camera could IM022 be?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
lightnchade Regular Member • Posts: 259
What camera could IM022 be?

There are rumours that Olympus registered a camera (bluetooth/wifi certification) as IM022.

IM021 turned out to be the EM1 Mk3.

Some rumours look like they might be an accidental (or click-driven) copying of IM021 and that there is no IM022, but if there is, what could it be.

Assumptions:

• It can't be an EM1.
  • It can't be an EM5.
  • And surely not another EPL 6 7 8 9 10

That would only leave Pen-F and EM10, but what's left to do with those?

There doesn't seem much that could be added to a Pen-F. It already has a 20MP sensor, High res mode and OLED finder. I suppose they could switch to the Hybrid AF sensor but is PDAF a priority or worth paying extra for for Pen-F's target users?

It seems a Pen-F update could only be minor finessing to re-market it and maybe raise the price.

And if the EM10 is updated again, say with a 20MP sensor, it becomes harder for marketing to distinguish it from the EM5.

Personally, the camera they could make that would get my attention the most is to update EM10 to near EM5 features (20MP sensor from the Pen would be ok, from the EM5 better, high res mode, etc). Keep the slightly smaller dimensions and go one step further by removing the built in EVF. Instead have a port for a high quality optional articulating EVF.

There's a lot further they could take it, I like gadget cameras, but given the circumstances even just the above is probably a pipe dream. But it would certainly do the trick for me. Add a reasonably compact versatile lens like the announced 8-25/4 Pro or 12-45/4 Pro and that's small camera heaven for me.

But I suspect the IM022 rumour may just be clickbait.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
prsc Regular Member • Posts: 174
Re: What camera could IM022 be?

E-P6

OP lightnchade Regular Member • Posts: 259

Yes. A modernised E-P5 could do the trick. And update the VF to OLED.

pforsell
pforsell Veteran Member • Posts: 3,831
Full Frame Olympus OM-D OM1 [nt]

Finally!

-- hide signature --

Peter

pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4S +25 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 18,826

Pen F refreshed with PDAF and some new image profiles would be welcomed by many [raises hand]. Zero interest in finderless options, personally.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 15,245
PenF could get.

1) 20 MP with OSPDAF (indeed)
2) Superb Oled 3,8 or 5,7 MP EVF
3) Weathersealed
4) Better HiRes, like Em1.2, handheld or with better correction for movement
5) A better battery with much better batterylife
6)  6-7 stops IBIS
7)  4K video
 I think this cam is a old-style dedicated photocam with superb specs where it matters.

So I'd opt for:
1) a 5,7 MP EVF same magnification
2) OSPDAF (able to shoot moving subject and getting great results is also nice for this cam)
3) IBIS
4) weathersealing
5) If possible handheld high res.
But 1-4 would make a good PenF an excellent Pen-F-II.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
cathal gantly Regular Member • Posts: 416

A 20mp EM10.iv

The EM1 line is new, the EM5 line is new, and the EM1x is a niche. The PEN-F won't see a new model, and the EP-L10 is out...

Or it could be an updated Tough camera, like the action cam video centric model.

cathal gantly's gear list:cathal gantly's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,854
Re: What camera could IM022 be? - E-M10 MkIV

Olympus Ambassador Jimmy Cheng just did his end of term review of the E-M10 MkIII.  When he did the end of term review of the E-M1 MkII the E-M1 MkIII was announced a month later.   The same thing when he did the end of term review of the E-M5 MkII the E-M5 MkIII was announced a month later.

So I am betting on the E-M10 MkIV being the camer just registered with Russia.  I expect the announcement later in July.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +40 more
Brocher
Brocher Regular Member • Posts: 393

Xii with the newer processor?

-- hide signature --
 Brocher's gear list:Brocher's gear list
Olympus E-PL7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +9 more
mring1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,445
E-M 10 Mk IV...

Nothing else will get anything approaching the ROI (minimal as it will be), that the Imaging division needs going into this divestiture and restructuring.

mring1's gear list:mring1's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +3 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 43,020
On penF can totally get more things

Tilt lcd

much faster processor

hand held high res

faster on/ off

weather sealing

or a successor to ep5

my vote is on an em10 mark IV but not sure really what that would have

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 7,265
Re: On penF can totally get more things

Raist3d wrote:

Tilt lcd

much faster processor

hand held high res

faster on/ off

weather sealing

or a successor to ep5

my vote is on an em10 mark IV but not sure really what that would have

No tripod mount?

A

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more

Raist3d wrote:

Tilt lcd

much faster processor

hand held high res

faster on/ off

weather sealing

Useful for sure, but how possible or likely.

For example, weather sealing impacts heat dissipation and so also needs incorporating into the body design.

The same holds true for the overall balance of processor performance, heat, battery life(/size) and body size/shape.

A somewhat faster processor is a given, supporting some of the latest processor tricks that have been conspicuous by their absence in firmware updates (suggesting it had reached most of its firmware's limits).

But it seems highly unlikely, with its position in the market along with the current scenario at Olympus, that it could gain features like hand-held high res, which would presumably need a radical redesign and engineering investment.

n3eg
n3eg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,254

E-V1 Vlogging camera.  Everyone else is doing it, and nobody really cares.

-- hide signature --

I'm not nearsighted. My eyes just have good bokeh.
It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro 14n Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Kodak Pixpro S-1 Olympus E-M5 III +70 more
eyevan New Member • Posts: 16

Please be something with a new sensor. I’m ok with 20mp, just give the dynamic range a good tweak.

eyevan's gear list:eyevan's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake +13 more
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 8,384

n3eg wrote:

E-V1 Vlogging camera.

The time for that was 2 years ago

Everyone else is doing it,

That's why now it's kind of too late.

And they are doing it wrong, too. I doubt Olympus could come up with something useful here.

and nobody really cares.

You'd probably be surprised. Just look at Twitch to see how big of a potential market that could be. But capitalizing on that would require some innovation, which is something that camera companies just can't do even if their lives depend on it (it does, they just don't realize).

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +14 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 43,020

lightnchade wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Tilt lcd

much faster processor

hand held high res

faster on/ off

weather sealing

I can assure you that much faster processor meaning much better AF is very very useful. And for street photography, at least for some of us, FAS vs Tilt LCD is a deal breaker.

For example, weather sealing impacts heat dissipation and so also needs incorporating into the body design.

The same holds true for the overall balance of processor performance, heat, battery life(/size) and body size/shape.

A somewhat faster processor is a given, supporting some of the latest processor tricks that have been conspicuous by their absence in firmware updates (suggesting it had reached most of its firmware's limits).

But it seems highly unlikely, with its position in the market along with the current scenario at Olympus, that it could gain features like hand-held high res, which would presumably need a radical redesign and engineering investment.

Does it? It all depends on how that's implemented on the EM1 MKIII.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Raist3d wrote:

lightnchade wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Tilt lcd

much faster processor

hand held high res

faster on/ off

weather sealing

I can assure you that much faster processor meaning much better AF is very very useful. And for street photography, at least for some of us, FAS vs Tilt LCD is a deal breaker.

Does it? It all depends on how that's implemented on the EM1 MKIII.

It's implemented in EM1 MKIII via the TruePic IX processor.

In the EM1X it was implement as Dual TruePic VIII processors which were needed to supply the extra processing capability.

This extra processing power enabled:

• Handheld High Res
  • Pro Capture
  • Live ND
  • etc

With the EM5 MKIII it has a single TruePic VIII and these features are absent.

The question is, where do you see Pen-F sitting between the M1 and the M5?

EM1 MKiii, PEN-F, EM5 MKiii

The Pen-F and M5 are 420g cameras. The M1 is a 580g camera.

It is certain possible the next Pen-F could get a TruePic IX, in the same way the PL10 got a TruePic VIII.

But that doesn't automatically convey all capabilities of the processor onto the camera (in the same way the PL10 doesn't get all the capabilities of the EM5).

One significant issue is power, both the capacity in supplying the power, and the in heat management of the heat generated by utilising the processing power. And this is where the body size and mass play a critical role. This issue has been a constant topic of discussion in DPR's interviews with the camera engineers from many companies, including Olympus.

It isn't that I don't wish these features for the next (or any) camera, it's simply that I don't see how the currently level of engineering demonstrated by their current offerings would enable it to happen, in a body like the current PEN-F.

But that's not to say impossible, just currently very unlikely, and with the current turmoil with engineers leaving and not being replaced, perhaps even less so.

ristar Regular Member • Posts: 295
Correction on product codes

IM011 - FL700R

IM012 - FC-WR (wireless flash controller)

IM013 - FR-WR (wireless flash receiver)

IM016 - E-M5 Mark III (source: user manual)

IM017 - unknown

IM018 - Unreleased lens, possibly 150-400mm f/4.5 (sources: https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/1198006762713964545?lang=en and https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-registered-a-new-lens-with-code-im018-likely-to-be-the-new-150-400mm-pro-lens/ )

IM019 - E-M1 Mark III (source: user manual)

IM020 - unknown

IM021 - Is an unreleased camera (sources: https://sertifikasi.postel.go.id/sertifikat/index?key=models&value=olympus&isberlaku=1 and https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-has-just-regisered-a-new-camera-model-today/).

IM022 - Is an unreleased lens (source: https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/1273732791558004736?lang=en).

Nokishita seems to be a pretty reliable source of info, though I'm not sure which Russian website he gets his info from. It's curious that no one has spotted IM017 and IM020 yet. I included IM011 to IM013 to show that they don't have to be cameras or lenses, but my guess is they are, considering we have 4 lenses on the roadmap, announced/revealed in this order:

1. 150-400mm F/4.5
  2. 100-400mm F/5.0-6.3
  3. 8-25mm F/4.0
  4. Macro Lens (probably 100mm)

Back to IM022, the unknown camera. That's a good question. I'm hoping it's a Pen-F Mark II with weather sealing and C-AF from the E-M1 series, but I highly doubt it. It's much more likely to be the E-M10 Mark IV or perhaps the E-PL10.

ristar's gear list:ristar's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +12 more
Re: Correction on product codes

ristar wrote:

IM011 - FL700R

IM012 - FC-WR (wireless flash controller)

IM013 - FR-WR (wireless flash receiver)

IM016 - E-M5 Mark III (source: user manual)

IM017 - unknown

IM018 - Unreleased lens, possibly 150-400mm f/4.5 (sources: https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/1198006762713964545?lang=en and https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-registered-a-new-lens-with-code-im018-likely-to-be-the-new-150-400mm-pro-lens/ )

IM019 - E-M1 Mark III (source: user manual)

IM020 - unknown

IM021 - Is an unreleased camera (sources: https://sertifikasi.postel.go.id/sertifikat/index?key=models&value=olympus&isberlaku=1 and https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-has-just-regisered-a-new-camera-model-today/).

IM022 - Is an unreleased lens (source: https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/1273732791558004736?lang=en).

Nokishita seems to be a pretty reliable source of info, though I'm not sure which Russian website he gets his info from. It's curious that no one has spotted IM017 and IM020 yet. I included IM011 to IM013 to show that they don't have to be cameras or lenses, but my guess is they are, considering we have 4 lenses on the roadmap, announced/revealed in this order:

1. 150-400mm F/4.5
  2. 100-400mm F/5.0-6.3
  3. 8-25mm F/4.0
  4. Macro Lens (probably 100mm)

Back to IM022, the unknown camera. That's a good question. I'm hoping it's a Pen-F Mark II with weather sealing and C-AF from the E-M1 series, but I highly doubt it. It's much more likely to be the E-M10 Mark IV or perhaps the E-PL10.

Thanks for filling some of the gaps.

I'm hoping it's a camera too, but that comes full circle, what could it be.

It could be E-PL11, that gets a near annual refresh where almost nothing changes.

E-PL11 with a 20MP sensor would look bad for E-M10.

E-M10 with a 20MP sensor would encroach into the E-M5 market and E-M10 IV with a 16MP sensor would simply be an E-M10 III with fresh make-up, unless they somehow squeezed the older E-M5 II hires mode in there. That might just work.

I can't see how the PEN-F can get full weather sealing in the current design, but maybe some better splash proof sealing. And I can't see it handling the power for needed for Hand Held Hires or Pro Capture. Maybe it can get Live ND, but if so probably tripod only. And it could get the Hybrid AF sensor and faster processor.

So what are the chances?:

• E-PL11 - 60%
  • Pen-F - 23%
  • EM10 IV - 15%
  • PEN 6 - 2%
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads