In search of a compact point and shoot with flash! (digital)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
FredoFredo New Member • Posts: 15
In search of a compact point and shoot with flash! (digital)

Dear community,

i am searching for a small digital camera that features an inbuild flash. A digital olympus miu would be ideal

the camera should have the following features:

-fast bootup-time

-raw images

-quick AF for point and shoot

-compact design

-focal length 30-50mm

It doesnt have to be the most sophisticated camera, ideally it costs 300-350€ used. The sensor shouldnt be smaller than a fourthirds one, probably APS-C would be ideal. The Fuji X100 series is great, but a little bit big. The Sony 5xxx or 6xxxx series could be an option, because i own many sony (and CanonEF) lenses. But even the smallest 35mm 2,8 isnt really compact and i am afraid of slow startup times.

thanks in advance!

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,699
Re: In search of a compact point and shoot with flash! (digital)

FredoFredo wrote:

Dear community,

i am searching for a small digital camera that features an inbuild flash. A digital olympus miu would be ideal

-fast bootup-time

-raw images

-compact design

-focal length 30-50mm

It doesnt have to be the most sophisticated camera, ideally it costs 300-350€ used. The sensor shouldnt be smaller than a fourthirds one, probably APS-C would be ideal. The Fuji X100 series is great, but a little bit big. The Sony 5xxx or 6xxxx series could be an option, because i own many sony (and CanonEF) lenses. But even the smallest 35mm 2,8 isnt really compact and i am afraid of slow startup times.

thanks in advance!

Maybe a used Ricoh GR or GRii?

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
OP FredoFredo New Member • Posts: 15

Both of them seem to be a bit slow regarding the startup time and first shot.

Its a pitty that none if those mirrorless cameras have a startuptime like a dslr or analoge p+s.

lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,715

FredoFredo wrote:

Dear community,

-fast bootup-time

-raw images

-compact design

-focal length 30-50mm

thanks in advance!

Try using DPR's Camera Feature search tool. DPR's camera database goes back to the 1990's. You'll quickly get more meaningful results compared to asking a bunch of random camera people for ideas. If you could consider 1" sensor cameras, your options increase dramatically.

The Sony NEX line of E-Mount APS-C cameras that preceded the current model line-up are a bit lower in cost. Some NEX models required firmware updates (still available for download) to make them compatible with newer E-mount lenses.

Slow start-up times really bother me too but these cameras are little computers that will take time to boot-up - no way around it. I've learned to tap my shutter button if I see a shot coming up - this wakes up the cameras and it's ready by the time I bring it up to my eye.

You might find some interesting info in the Imaging Resource reviews - they're the only ones I know that actually measure things like boot times.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony a7 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +30 more
Ad12 Contributing Member • Posts: 542

Having read lots of the DPR buying guides, the best point and shoot pick up and go camera I thought i'd seen recommended was the Sony A6100. With the sensor size you want anyway, as of course there are some great 1 inch compacts now.

DPR guides also recommends an M200 as the "best easy to use camera" which is a tiny aps-c milc.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-under-1000

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-easy-to-use-cameras

Ad12's gear list:Ad12's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Fujifilm X-T30 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 +2 more
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,699

FredoFredo wrote:

Both of them seem to be a bit slow regarding the startup time and first shot.

Its a pitty that none if those mirrorless cameras have a startuptime like a dslr or analoge p+s.

I suggested the Ricoh GR series because they are very small for an APS-C camera and they have a very good reputation for handling.  They are popular as camera that can be carried everywhere by enthusiasts.

If you want to take it further, ask on the Ricoh forum about the practical limitations of the start up time.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
techie takes pics Senior Member • Posts: 1,106

Panasonic LX100, 1st version used, around €300?

Very nice Leica lens. Does the apertures and zooms you requested.

I will say that startup time is less important than shutter-delay. Startup time can be circumvented - either your camera is on standby or you switch it on when you feel a moment coming up.

My current camera has a full 2 second delay but my thumb already switches it on when I take it out of the bag or when I spot something. When I then raise the camera, it is on. 
At other times I will just leave it on.
It's a long startup time, but you learn to work with it.

-- hide signature --

You don't need a new camera, you need a new lens.

techie takes pics's gear list:techie takes pics's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more

oh sorry, maybe i was wrong with my inital question. I dont need a zoom. A prime in the range of 30 to 50 mm would be totally fine.

The problem with the LX100 is the extending lens.

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 18,183

FredoFredo wrote:

oh sorry, maybe i was wrong with my inital question. I dont need a zoom. A prime in the range of 30 to 50 mm would be totally fine.

The only ones without an extending lens have either a prime or an internal zoom.

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,168

FredoFredo wrote:

I think it would help us if you could say what you plan to shoot with the camera,  rather than its specifications

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
geejay101 Regular Member • Posts: 449

FredoFredo wrote:

Dear community,

-fast bootup-time

-raw images

-compact design

-focal length 30-50mm

thanks in advance!

The Olympus TG-6 ticks all the boxes. Even though the sensor is small the image quality is fantastic.

It's the most enjoyable camera I used for a long time.

geejay101's gear list:geejay101's gear list
Sigma DP1x Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,081

FredoFredo wrote:

Dear community,

-fast bootup-time

-raw images

-compact design

-focal length 30-50mm

thanks in advance!

Fast boot up time is difficult feature. Why do you need it? Or just habit fronm dslr?

I would probably buy used A5100+20mmf2.8 or already mentioned Ricoh GR

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA

davidedric wrote:

FredoFredo wrote:

I think it would help us if you could say what you plan to shoot with the camera, rather than its specifications

90% peopleshots and Portraits in a very spontanious manner. out of the pocket, quick/no framing, shot with flash, done. Thats how i am using my olympus miu on an everyday level and its fun. But i would like to try digital now.

The Ricoh GR ii could be an option, but i dont know if a fuji XF10 or X70 wouldnt be the better/ faster solution. Has Olympus/Panasonic really never made a compact point and shoot with a prime and flash?

Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,503

FredoFredo wrote:

Dear community,

-fast bootup-time

-raw images

-compact design

-focal length 30-50mm

thanks in advance!

I love my (discontinued) Panasonic LF1, but I found that my iPhone 7 made sharper, more detailed images in good light and was no worse in very dim light, so I upgraded to an iPhone XS for the second focal length (26mm and 52mm EFL). It doesn't have the 200mm reach of the LF1, but it's always in my pocket and thus far handier. I use Lightroom Mobile or Camera M apps to shoot RAW (DNG) with it.

For low light, I've got my Panasonic LX100, which has a hotshoe on which I can mount my Flashpoint Zoom Mini flash when needed. Not quite pocketable, but miles better in low light than a small-sensor compact with a built-in flash that can't be bounced.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony a7R II +49 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads