What's that on the R5 front lower right?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Desertbilly New Member • Posts: 21
What's that on the R5 front lower right?

A rubber cover for a jack?

Desertbilly's gear list:Desertbilly's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5DS R Leica M10 Canon EOS R Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
Ricoh Caplio R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Desertbilly New Member • Posts: 21
Re: What's that on the R5 front lower right?

External WiFi booster?

Desertbilly's gear list:Desertbilly's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5DS R Leica M10 Canon EOS R Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
Colin46 Senior Member • Posts: 1,619

Desertbilly wrote:

It’s the connector for the remote release like the 5d mk4 and the 1dx series cameras.

its a push fit locking connector unlike the cheaper Headphone type plug used on lower end bodies

Colin46's gear list:Colin46's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM +20 more
maarensv
maarensv Contributing Member • Posts: 994

Colin46 wrote:

Desertbilly wrote:

It’s the connector for the remote release like the 5d mk4 and the 1dx series cameras.

its a push fit locking connector unlike the cheaper Headphone type plug used on lower end bodies

That is what I wanted to say as well. Missing a cable release icon on the side, so probably moved to the front. The shape seems to be in line with a locking connector.

maarensv's gear list:maarensv's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +25 more
gimp_dad Senior Member • Posts: 2,281

Colin46 wrote:

Desertbilly wrote:

Also known as N3 type terminal...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63863190

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 21,821

Cooling fan exhaust port.

-- hide signature --

I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
shigzeo
shigzeo Senior Member • Posts: 2,267

Desertbilly wrote:

Whatever it is, I'm selling all my Fuji stuff except the X100 and going Canon. Damn, what a system this thing is shaping up to be.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm GFX 50S Leica M10 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +7 more
1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,559

shigzeo wrote:

Desertbilly wrote:

Whatever it is, I'm selling all my Fuji stuff except the X100 and going Canon. Damn, what a system this thing is shaping up to be.

it will make your photography improve immediately

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

shigzeo

1Dx4me wrote:

shigzeo wrote:

Desertbilly wrote:

it will make your photography improve immediately

I'll be going for the R6. I know you were joking, but it will. Canon's focus is faster, more sure, and its IQ is better. I shoot magazines and the X-T3/GFX combination is good but neither is really great when you need critical focus for macro and lots of detail, or to easily focus on things.

Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm GFX 50S Leica M10 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +7 more
blackg Forum Member • Posts: 69

You don't miss much do you?  That flap is the problem.  We don't know what it is - neither do the British.

I have been wondering that too ever since the pics of the R5 came out.

JustUs7 Contributing Member • Posts: 881

Zeee wrote:

Cooling fan exhaust port.

Turbo charger intake.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +3 more
Snapper2013 Contributing Member • Posts: 677
That's the new cigarette lighter.

LOL

knutte Regular Member • Posts: 358
Re: That's the new cigarette lighter.

Escape hatch!

-- hide signature --

If you're a fan of oversaturated images you should skip my flickr collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/164425702@N02/

shigzeo
Re: That's the new cigarette lighter.
Vunite Contributing Member • Posts: 635

Foto Ability Radiator antenna connector. People merely nearby an R5 make better fotos with their cams. The antenna helps extend the range of that effect.

PS: How sad to see that Canon wastes the entire left top for a stupid power button instead of a wheel for settings.

stevvi Contributing Member • Posts: 690

Vunite wrote:

Foto Ability Radiator antenna connector. People merely nearby an R5 make better fotos with their cams. The antenna helps extend the range of that effect.

PS: How sad to see that Canon wastes the entire left top for a stupid power button instead of a wheel for settings.

*To me* the layout makes sense as my left hand is supporting the lens and using the control ring. To start twiddling dials with my left thumb would probably be too much for my brain to handle! I also think it wise to wait and see what the camera actually has before commenting to much on it's ergonomics.

stevvi's gear list:stevvi's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +2 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,770
Whats a "Cigarette" ?

Wow, sooooo 70s   .. Do people still smoke those expensive pointless disgusting smelly things ?

Back to the cam - I`m guessing it`s a remote port of some kind ,or even second microphone port the Flash sync port is on the side

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D610 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 21,821
Re: Whats a "Cigarette" ?

AdamT wrote:

Wow, sooooo 70s .. Do people still smoke those expensive pointless disgusting smelly things ?

Nope. They vape now.

Back to the cam - I`m guessing it`s a remote port of some kind ,or even second microphone port the Flash sync port is on the side

-- hide signature --

I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
EJ Fudd
EJ Fudd Senior Member • Posts: 1,664

the Obvious answer ..people looking at stuff no idea what they are even looking at

-- hide signature --

"The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don't know what to do with it."
A Great Quote by Edward Weston...

EJ Fudd's gear list:EJ Fudd's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +17 more
EJ Fudd
EJ Fudd Senior Member • Posts: 1,664

MAYBE LOOK AT ALL THE OTHER 5 Series cameras..NOT like you found something new it was always there

-- hide signature --

"The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don't know what to do with it."
A Great Quote by Edward Weston...

EJ Fudd's gear list:EJ Fudd's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads