Nikon B700 4k video

Started 3 months ago | Questions
GeoHiker New Member • Posts: 17
Nikon B700 4k video

Narrowing my choice to either the B700 and Canon SX70.  I found lots of info regarding photo quality (B700 seems to be better) but not much on video quality.

Can someone please give me their impressions on the B700's 4k video quality....sharp, detailed image, graininess, dynamic range, autofocus performance?  Do you get full manual control when shooting video?

Thanks in advance.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot SX70 Nikon Coolpix B700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
GEwart Regular Member • Posts: 462
Re: Nikon B700 4k video

I don't have the B700 but the P1000, maybe the video quality is comparable if using the same sensor. Canon, Panasonic and Sony have reputation for great quality video, Nikon less so but I'm pleased with the P1000 4k output which is sharp with good colours if lacking a little on detail.

GEwart's gear list:GEwart's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +1 more
OP GeoHiker New Member • Posts: 17

I was able to buy a used B700 on EBay for US $300.  It just arrived today and I'm going to take it for a spin.  Eventually I'll share my thoughts on the video quality.

But the first thing I noticed -- which is dissappoining and something that was not mentioned in any of the reviews I read -- is that Electronic VR is disabled with 4K video.  With 1080p it's on, but I shoot in 4k......anyways, I'll see how it goes.  Hopefully not too shakey.

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 14,241

I've seen some very good photos from the B700 posted here, although you might need to go to YouTube to see some videos shot by it. One missing feature, is that it doesn't have a microphone input.

-- hide signature --
 Stephen McDonald's gear list:Stephen McDonald's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V +1 more
OP GeoHiker New Member • Posts: 17

Yeah, Steve, I miss the mic (and headphone) input.  And touchscreen would be great.

I've been testing out the 4k video and, overall, I'm quite happy with it.  The video is nice and sharp but not oversharpened.  Lowlight footage is a little softer, but it's clean, not noisy.  The autofocus is quick enough and smoothly transitions from one focus point to another.  Same thing with the autoexposure.  I also like that I can lock down focus or exposure.  I have to practice with the manual focus, though.  I wish I could change the colour for focus peaking and that the gridlines would be displayed while recording.

My used camera didn't come with a manual but I was able to download it now I see the Electronic VR mentioned in my post above is a digital stabilization and can only be used with 1080p footage.  So the optical stabilzation in 4k is not the best, even at the widest focal length.  From now on, I'm going to use a monopod with a mini fluid head and that should improve things.

So bottom line, the B700 offers nice, bright, sharp 4k footage.

threed123
threed123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,425

It was said the B700 would be similar to the P1000 because they use the same sensor. That is not true the P1000 uses the 16meg sensor same as the P900/950, The B700 uses a 20meg sensor. That said, 4k is taken out of part of the sensors, so  you don't see all the image of the sensor. So in effect 4K is a scaled down version of your sensor as is  2K HD (1080p). It is decent and requires a tripod. Sometimes zooming in will lose focus especially if you are zooming into max zoom. Also, have a post processor that does stabilization is good as well. Frankly, I see no advantage of 4K over 1080p, which is smoother and for most TVs and monitors looks just fine.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads