Olympus situation - my opinion

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 3,203
Re: Great post!

glassoholic wrote:

Okapi001 wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Absolutely great photos and great reply! Just a quick niggle, though: 10s handheld would mean 10 stops of stabilization for 50mm FF equivalent (as well as the subject remaining still for 10s).

What exactly is the niggle here? Rated 6 or 7 stops of stabilisation doesn't mean you cannot achieve even nore, if you have a stedy hand. Rated figures are just some standardized averages.

Also, 10 sec is 7 stops of stabilisation, if the base value is 1/15 sec, perfectly doable with an wide angle lens.

10 secs with the Dual IS 12-100 @ 12mm is readily achievable... 15 secs if you are more steady than me. For me, 4 secs with this combo is close to 100% critically sharp. I'm happy with that... 7 stops from a base of 1/30 (12mm/ 24mm equiv./ 1/30).

However a tripod is the best stabilization device and yields best results. I know, it's large and heavy. Like many other pro photography tools.

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Nikon D300 Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more
joeletx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,141
Re: Olympus situation - my opinion

Chas J wrote:

anupamkatkar wrote:

Chas J wrote:

horsth wrote:

Chas J wrote:

horsth wrote:

Petr,

fantastic images. I'm wondering what a full-frame camera could improve. I guess nothing! It's fashion only.....

Horst

The same photos, if taken with FF, would show less noise, more dynamic range, better tonality, more choice in depth of field and allow larger prints to be made.

These things may or may not matter to you but they are there.

Here we are: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64102184

Yes, very amusing. However, denial and / or making fun of someone (I am not offended) does not change the facts / truth.

You wondered what FF could improve and I answered you. Prove me wrong !.

Your answer lies in your own statement:

"The same photos, if taken with FF, would show less noise, more dynamic range, better tonality, more choice in depth of field and allow larger prints to be made."

And there it is. IF taken with FF.

You want to spend $11,000 using a weather-sealed 600mm prime to photograph a toucan in the rain? Be my guest.

Hike up a mountain with 20 lb of FF gear to photograph puffins? By all means.

Lean out of a small boat and take a creamy-bokeh shot of a Dalmatian pelican with a FF fisheye? You can't, because an f1.8 FF fisheye doesn't exist.

Your saying "FF could have done it better" would be like my looking at a Sony A9 BIF and saying, "yes but a m43 could have filled 2x the frame with the bird." 'Tis a silly thing to say.

If you are going to counter with an argument, try not to have a straw one. In this case, cost, weight and a persons strength has nothing to do with it !. You put forward a red herring simple because it suits your agenda.

My statement about the advantages of FF is correct ... I did NOT say that there were no advantages to u4/3.

If you have trouble thinking logically or your ability with the English language is insufficient to comprehend that which is being written, then I suggest that you would be better off keeping quiet !.

This is stooping way too low on your part. What does English have to to with this?

Now then, who else, erroneously, wants to take a swing at me ?.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +8 more
joeletx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,141

glassoholic wrote:

"What does it mean? Nothing at all about whether Olympus is better or worse than other brands. (In fact, I don’t really understand why anyone is still trying to categorise this)." Petr Bambrousek 2020

113 likes, 78 replies, and 3 of the worst regular m43 bashers have not participated... and they usually don't for posts like this.

Only 3 bashers? you are way off glasso.

How can it be someone so talented like Petr chooses m43 (he uses Pana lenses too)?

How is it possible m43 wins international competitions?

How come Petr is not ditching that loser little sensor and finally coming to his senses?

Why would he use a f8 equivalent tele?

Aaaaargghhhh.... all my DR, Light gathering, resolution conversions etc are not computing!

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +8 more
Space the final frontier Contributing Member • Posts: 986

DeathArrow wrote:

Petr Bambousek wrote:

Wigelii wrote:

... there is not enough dynamic range, ...

BTW, recently I "discovered" crazy thing. I don't know if it is widely known but one can get amazing dynamic range from m4/3 camera (namely E-M1 III and E-M1X) using combination of ISO 64 and internal ND filter. I did short video about that (only in czech, sorry) but I was very very surprised what you can get back from strongly underexposed (-2 to -3 EV) picture created with this combination.

Here is the link to the video where I talk about it (16:48):
https://youtu.be/6_3mTK29OdA?t=1008

Before/After image enlarged to 100% is one shot only. I describe the setting and other example few moments after

Just for fun

To improve the dynamic range for cameras with low DR, one of the best ways is to shoot more exposures and combine them in post-processing.

Absolutely. Stacking is a great technique but it is also available to every digital camera. I suspect the reason why this technique is not widely adopted is because it requires post-processing. But I use it regularly.

Space the final frontier's gear list:Space the final frontier's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 YI M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro +17 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,725
Re: Great Images

Because of social distancing I have mostly doing wildlife photography so my E-M1X is getting more use than the new in late February E-M1.3.  I did get one job where I used the E-M1.3.  I was wanting to test the new Face Detection and this fob was a good place to test it.  I was taking photos of people going a the Bat Chader ride and the Plunge ride at Indiana Caverns.  With the Bat Chaser I was getting portraits of the rider traveling toward me at 20 to 25 mph.  The Plunge was a free fall and I taking photos of the jumper in free fall.  I gave up on the new Face Detection and went with C-AF.  It worked fine and the client was happy.

Anyhow, with both an E-M1X and E-M1.3  and their long life shutter life and the durability I should be set for several years.  Image quality is already good enough for my use and the technology is not really advancing much.  I will continue buying Olympus lenses if it is something I will use.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +40 more
brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 8,916

DLBlack wrote:

Because of social distancing I have mostly doing wildlife photography so my E-M1X is getting more use than the new in late February E-M1.3. I did get one job where I used the E-M1.3. I was wanting to test the new Face Detection and this fob was a good place to test it. I was taking photos of people going a the Bat Chader ride and the Plunge ride at Indiana Caverns. With the Bat Chaser I was getting portraits of the rider traveling toward me at 20 to 25 mph. The Plunge was a free fall and I taking photos of the jumper in free fall. I gave up on the new Face Detection and went with C-AF. It worked fine and the client was happy.

What I was hoping for this year was to use the face and eye detection on my bike-a-thon and running events to see how well it would work. I also had planned using the E-M1.3 as the main camera at the finish line of my biggest shoot to see if heat issues are a concern as the E-M1.2 in 2017 overheated and shut down. The E-M1X with the built-in heat sink easily handled the load in 2019,

Anyhow, with both an E-M1X and E-M1.3 and their long life shutter life and the durability I should be set for several years. Image quality is already good enough for my use and the technology is not really advancing much. I will continue buying Olympus lenses if it is something I will use.

I have two E-M1X and one E-M1.3. The coronavirus has canceled all my shoots since April, which basically resulted in giving my gear another year on life as far as to wear and tear, I've had a lot of new medical issues to contend with including a potential heart attack and congestive heart failure. So either way, I'd be laid up. I'm going to cut back next year on the American Cancer Society Relay for Life from an average of seven to a maximum of three and no more back to back events, I'm 70 and at best I'll make it to 80. I feel my present gear should outlast me.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony a6400 Sony a9 II +6 more
Bernard de Clairvaux Senior Member • Posts: 1,212

brianric wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Because of social distancing I have mostly doing wildlife photography so my E-M1X is getting more use than the new in late February E-M1.3. I did get one job where I used the E-M1.3. I was wanting to test the new Face Detection and this fob was a good place to test it. I was taking photos of people going a the Bat Chader ride and the Plunge ride at Indiana Caverns. With the Bat Chaser I was getting portraits of the rider traveling toward me at 20 to 25 mph. The Plunge was a free fall and I taking photos of the jumper in free fall. I gave up on the new Face Detection and went with C-AF. It worked fine and the client was happy.

What I was hoping for this year was to use the face and eye detection on my bike-a-thon and running events to see how well it would work. I also had planned using the E-M1.3 as the main camera at the finish line of my biggest shoot to see if heat issues are a concern as the E-M1.2 in 2017 overheated and shut down. The E-M1X with the built-in heat sink easily handled the load in 2019,

Anyhow, with both an E-M1X and E-M1.3 and their long life shutter life and the durability I should be set for several years. Image quality is already good enough for my use and the technology is not really advancing much. I will continue buying Olympus lenses if it is something I will use.

I have two E-M1X and one E-M1.3. The coronavirus has canceled all my shoots since April, which basically resulted in giving my gear another year on life as far as to wear and tear, I've had a lot of new medical issues to contend with including a potential heart attack and congestive heart failure. So either way, I'd be laid up. I'm going to cut back next year on the American Cancer Society Relay for Life from an average of seven to a maximum of three and no more back to back events, I'm 70 and at best I'll make it to 80. I feel my present gear should outlast me.

GOD Bless you Brian!!!

Best Regards,

Bernard

Joe Lynch Senior Member • Posts: 1,890

Keep practicing on the nature shots as possible, Brian.  And my backup Olympus gear is your backup gear, if needed.

Joe

TorsteinH
TorsteinH Senior Member • Posts: 1,281

Some fantastic photos you got there!

Looking forward to the 8-25 f/4 myself.

-- hide signature --

Torstein

TorsteinH's gear list:TorsteinH's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads