Olympus situation - my opinion

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Petr Bambousek
OP Petr Bambousek Regular Member • Posts: 342
Re: Olympus situation - my opinion

R Johns wrote:

STUNNING and INSPIRATIONAL work, Petr!

May I ask, if you could only keep one of your two telephoto primes (Oly 300 f4 / Pany 200 f2.8), which would you chose and why?

Thanks!

Russ

Actually I made this choise recently. I chose Panasonic 200mm and sold 300mm. Recently I sold even 40-150 and here is why.

Based on my experiences, I would love to see 250mm/2.8 one day. I was too long with my 300mm many times and felt "pushed" to make only portrait style of some pictures. I prefer more space around the subject. I also noticed I use my 40-150 at the longest edge for most of times and crop a little bit (very close to 200mm view) . If other end was used, 40mm was most often choice for better context in photo (also covered by 12-100). Well, after 2 months of using 200mm I found it perfect for my future photography. Nothing say about image quality as I feel all mentioned lenses are fantastic. And now 150-400 is close to be released. I wish to have all of them but I have another 6 lenses already.

I have no space in my bag for 4 telelenses + 6 other lenses. The wieght of such equipment would be even worse than with my recent FF gear πŸ˜‡

I made my decision based on the topics I would like to photograph in near future and also based on the rule that every piece of glass in my bag should give me some unique perspective with as less overlap as possible. I am pretty happy with the choice as I was with 300mm for over 3 years. πŸ˜‰

Petr Bambousek's gear list:Petr Bambousek's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +10 more
Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 15,229
Re: They would not make these pics better at all.

Which is why I said that some pics wuld be better with MF cams. Not too much reach there.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
indra Regular Member • Posts: 366

Donald B wrote:

mrphotography wrote:

AdamT wrote:

mrphotography wrote:

Nice shots but they're all less than 2 megapixels. Truth be told, when blown up side by side the advantage of FF looks obvious.

He`s Obviously downsized them for display here - Images are easily stolen and these are prime candidates so why would he post full 20Mp versions ? .

If you want to look at full size images from these cameras, download RAWs from the reviews here and process them ..

So he's more worried about having some lame pictures "stolen" than showing us what an Olympus camera can do? I'm not buying it.

I looked at your gallery. No one even listens to posters like you, you have nothing to show period.

Don

Last time I checked this is a gear forum no?

And don't you worry about my gear, I have much more then what I have listed here. I haven't listed my analogue gear, light meters, reflectors to studio strobes.

indra's gear list:indra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon D2Hs Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Nikon D610 +64 more
wolfie
wolfie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,918
I look at your photos

... and I know that 35mm is not the answer to improving my results.

Fanastic work as ever Petr.

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic
https://aucklandswoffer.wordpress.com

wolfie's gear list:wolfie's gear list
Canon G7 X II Olympus E-M5 II Nikon 1 AW1 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
Mentt Forum Member • Posts: 70

I think that only thing that can save Micro four thirds is to improve AF to Sony level as much as possible. Mainly eye AF. Had Oly 5iii for 2 weeks demo and I was surprised how bad the AF was. Even Panasonic gx9 had better performance. Either way in general micro four thirds cameras are known for not that good af performance and you need be skilled photographer to get acceptable hit rate. And for sure current AF state is not good selling point for casual users or new users coming from mobile phones.  If AF would improve to Sony like ease to get subjects in focus many users would be interested due to small size of micro four thirds cameras

Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 17,084

indra wrote:

Donald B wrote:

mrphotography wrote:

AdamT wrote:

mrphotography wrote:

Nice shots but they're all less than 2 megapixels. Truth be told, when blown up side by side the advantage of FF looks obvious.

He`s Obviously downsized them for display here - Images are easily stolen and these are prime candidates so why would he post full 20Mp versions ? .

If you want to look at full size images from these cameras, download RAWs from the reviews here and process them ..

So he's more worried about having some lame pictures "stolen" than showing us what an Olympus camera can do? I'm not buying it.

I looked at your gallery. No one even listens to posters like you, you have nothing to show period.

Don

And don't you worry about my gear, I have much more then what I have listed here. I haven't listed my analogue gear, light meters, reflectors to studio strobes.

Having all the gear doesn’t make anybody a tradesman.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM1mk2, Sony A7r2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1 em5mk2

Chas J Contributing Member • Posts: 800

anupamkatkar wrote:

Chas J wrote:

horsth wrote:

Chas J wrote:

horsth wrote:

Petr,

fantastic images. I'm wondering what a full-frame camera could improve. I guess nothing! It's fashion only.....

Horst

The same photos, if taken with FF, would show less noise, more dynamic range, better tonality, more choice in depth of field and allow larger prints to be made.

These things may or may not matter to you but they are there.

Here we are: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64102184

Yes, very amusing. However, denial and / or making fun of someone (I am not offended) does not change the facts / truth.

You wondered what FF could improve and I answered you. Prove me wrong !.

Your answer lies in your own statement:

"The same photos, if taken with FF, would show less noise, more dynamic range, better tonality, more choice in depth of field and allow larger prints to be made."

And there it is. IF taken with FF.

You want to spend $11,000 using a weather-sealed 600mm prime to photograph a toucan in the rain? Be my guest.

Hike up a mountain with 20 lb of FF gear to photograph puffins? By all means.

Lean out of a small boat and take a creamy-bokeh shot of a Dalmatian pelican with a FF fisheye? You can't, because an f1.8 FF fisheye doesn't exist.

Your saying "FF could have done it better" would be like my looking at a Sony A9 BIF and saying, "yes but a m43 could have filled 2x the frame with the bird." 'Tis a silly thing to say.

If you are going to counter with an argument, try not to have a straw one.   In this case, cost, weight and a persons strength has nothing to do with it !.   You put forward a red herring simple because it suits your agenda.

My statement about the advantages of FF is correct ... I did NOT say that there were no advantages to u4/3.

If you have trouble thinking logically or your ability with the English language is insufficient to comprehend that which is being written, then I suggest that you would be better off keeping quiet !.

Now then, who else, erroneously, wants to take a swing at me ?.

-- hide signature --

==============
Do Not Listen to What I Say ... Listen to What I Mean !.

Chas J's gear list:Chas J's gear list
Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D810 Nikon D700 +30 more
Wigelii Regular Member • Posts: 393

Chas J wrote:

anupamkatkar wrote:

Chas J wrote:

horsth wrote:

Chas J wrote:

horsth wrote:

Petr,

fantastic images. I'm wondering what a full-frame camera could improve. I guess nothing! It's fashion only.....

Horst

The same photos, if taken with FF, would show less noise, more dynamic range, better tonality, more choice in depth of field and allow larger prints to be made.

Yes, very amusing. However, denial and / or making fun of someone (I am not offended) does not change the facts / truth.

"The same photos, if taken with FF, would show less noise, more dynamic range, better tonality, more choice in depth of field and allow larger prints to be made."

You want to spend $11,000 using a weather-sealed 600mm prime to photograph a toucan in the rain? Be my guest.

Lean out of a small boat and take a creamy-bokeh shot of a Dalmatian pelican with a FF fisheye? You can't, because an f1.8 FF fisheye doesn't exist.

Your saying "FF could have done it better" would be like my looking at a Sony A9 BIF and saying, "yes but a m43 could have filled 2x the frame with the bird." 'Tis a silly thing to say.

If you are going to counter with an argument, try not to have a straw one. In this case, cost, weight and a persons strength has nothing to do with it !. You put forward a red herring simple because it suits your agenda.

My statement about the advantages of FF is correct ... I did NOT say that there were no advantages to u4/3.

If you have trouble thinking logically or your ability with the English language is insufficient to comprehend that which is being written, then I suggest that you would be better off keeping quiet !.

With pleasure.

These photos don't have to much noise, have more than enough dynamic range, tonality and depth of field are perfect, and you can make VERY large prints are of them.

FF can't add anything that would make these photos better. MF can't add anything that would make these photos better.

Because the photos are FANTASTIC and you can't be more fantastic than fantastic. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Does anybody on this forum know a superlative for "fantastic"?

Maybe "Full Frame" could be a candidate? Or "fantalargesensorextraphotonstastic"?

indra Regular Member • Posts: 366

Donald B wrote:

indra wrote:

Donald B wrote:

mrphotography wrote:

AdamT wrote:

mrphotography wrote:

Don

Having all the gear doesn’t make anybody a tradesman.

Don

Showing the same pics over and over again doesn't make you credible. In fact, you're in the wrong forum.

indra's gear list:indra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon D2Hs Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Nikon D610 +64 more
MjMac Junior Member • Posts: 31

Exceptional and inspirational images Petr. Truly top notch. You are a phenomenal artist. Your compositional skills create captivating scenes and how you use your chosen tools to capture light is incredible. Thank you for not getting dragged into the muck and the mire by the FF vs m43 zealotry that permeates this forum. I look forward to seeing your future work.

Cheers,

Mike.

R Liewenberger Contributing Member • Posts: 870

Thumbs up #100, your pictures really deserve it, Petr!

Sehr schön!

Liewenberger

brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 8,916

Wigelii wrote:

horsth wrote:

Petr,

Horst

Be careful. If the FF guys read this, they will look at these photos at 3000% magnification and start claiming that they are too noisy and there is not enough dynamic range, and not enough shallow DOF ... and they will tell you that you should stop photography if you don't agree.

I went from Nikon FF to M43, will never go back.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony a6400 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony a9 II +6 more
CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,495

The 8-25 has really grabbed my attention as well.

What I see is the conflict between people who always feel driven to have the latest technology to "improve" their images and those who want gear they have come to trust and learned to optimize. (What I find a bit amusing is some of the people making the most negative noise have struck me as the ones who should have switched systems long ago anyway.)

Even if Olympus new bodies  are no longer developed, what the EM1.2 and EM1.3 are capable of is suitable for my needs now, and the foreseeable future. Sure, if a year from now it's obvious that no future Olympus products will be released (other than those under current development) I'll probably start putting together a kit from another manufacturer. But I won't rush out to do it. No need. It's not like the day that the deal with JIP is finalized my gear will stop working.

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand
http://ikkensimages.com

Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 4,832

CharlesB58 wrote:

The 8-25 has really grabbed my attention as well.

I think on new gear you either have to recognize a limitation in your current gear (lenses or cameras) or become somehow aware of something that will noticeably improve your photography.

What I see is the conflict between people who always feel driven to have the latest technology to "improve" their images and those who want gear they have come to trust and learned to optimize. (What I find a bit amusing is some of the people making the most negative noise have struck me as the ones who should have switched systems long ago anyway.)

Even if Olympus new bodies are no longer developed, what the EM1.2 and EM1.3 are capable of is suitable for my needs now, and the foreseeable future. Sure, if a year from now it's obvious that no future Olympus products will be released (other than those under current development) I'll probably start putting together a kit from another manufacturer. But I won't rush out to do it. No need. It's not like the day that the deal with JIP is finalized my gear will stop working.

Again, you have to consider those options, but then also consider your own objectivity before making decisions.

For me it is easier because in hiking/backpacking the weight I carry is a crucial part of my photography and choice of equipment.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +3 more
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 4,832

Wigelii wrote:

Chas J wrote:

anupamkatkar wrote:

Chas J wrote:

horsth wrote:

Chas J wrote:

horsth wrote:

Petr,

Horst

If you are going to counter with an argument, try not to have a straw one. In this case, cost, weight and a persons strength has nothing to do with it !. You put forward a red herring simple because it suits your agenda.

With pleasure.

These photos don't have to much noise, have more than enough dynamic range, tonality and depth of field are perfect, and you can make VERY large prints are of them.

FF can't add anything that would make these photos better. MF can't add anything that would make these photos better.

Because the photos are FANTASTIC and you can't be more fantastic than fantastic. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Does anybody on this forum know a superlative for "fantastic"?

Supercalifragilistic! That describes Petr's images quite well.

Maybe "Full Frame" could be a candidate? Or "fantalargesensorextraphotonstastic"?

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +3 more
CrimLarks Junior Member • Posts: 26

Those are some gorgeous images...

CrimLarks's gear list:CrimLarks's gear list
Leica M10 Leica Summarit-M 50mm F2.4 ASPH Apple iPhone 11 Pro
NZ Scott
NZ Scott Veteran Member • Posts: 4,952
Excellent shots

Excellent photos, brother.

Kind regards from New Zealand.

Scott

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +13 more
R Johns Senior Member • Posts: 1,868

Petr Bambousek wrote:

R Johns wrote:

STUNNING and INSPIRATIONAL work, Petr!

May I ask, if you could only keep one of your two telephoto primes (Oly 300 f4 / Pany 200 f2.8), which would you chose and why?

Thanks!

Russ

Actually I made this choise recently. I chose Panasonic 200mm and sold 300mm. Recently I sold even 40-150 and here is why.

Based on my experiences, I would love to see 250mm/2.8 one day. I was too long with my 300mm many times and felt "pushed" to make only portrait style of some pictures. I prefer more space around the subject. I also noticed I use my 40-150 at the longest edge for most of times and crop a little bit (very close to 200mm view) . If other end was used, 40mm was most often choice for better context in photo (also covered by 12-100). Well, after 2 months of using 200mm I found it perfect for my future photography. Nothing say about image quality as I feel all mentioned lenses are fantastic. And now 150-400 is close to be released. I wish to have all of them but I have another 6 lenses already.

I have no space in my bag for 4 telelenses + 6 other lenses. The wieght of such equipment would be even worse than with my recent FF gear πŸ˜‡

I made my decision based on the topics I would like to photograph in near future and also based on the rule that every piece of glass in my bag should give me some unique perspective with as less overlap as possible. I am pretty happy with the choice as I was with 300mm for over 3 years. πŸ˜‰

Thanks for your response, Petr.  I really appreciate it.  I got to handle the Pany 200mm f2.8 today and I was very impressed with both its handling and image quality.

Regards,

Russ

-- hide signature --

~ Greater is He that is within me, than he who is in this world... ~

Fsi Contributing Member • Posts: 539
Panasonic 200mm f2.8

How are you finding the Panasonic 200mm f2.8? Anything stand out that you like?

Fsi's gear list:Fsi's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Panasonic Leica 200mm F2.8 Olympus 25mm F1.2 Panasonic Lumix G Leica DG Summilux 12mm F1.4 ASPH +2 more
glassoholic
glassoholic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,544

"What does it mean? Nothing at all about whether Olympus is better or worse than other brands. (In fact, I don’t really understand why anyone is still trying to categorise this)." Petr Bambrousek 2020

113 likes, 78 replies, and 3 of the worst regular m43 bashers have not participated... and they usually don't for posts like this.

How can it be someone so talented like Petr chooses m43 (he uses Pana lenses too)?

How is it possible m43 wins international competitions?

How come Petr is not ditching that loser little sensor and finally coming to his senses?

Why would he use a f8 equivalent tele?

Aaaaargghhhh.... all my DR, Light gathering, resolution conversions etc are not computing!

-- hide signature --

Addicted To Glass
M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me... Make the best you can of every day!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads