Olympus situation - my opinion

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 17,079
Re: Olympus situation - my opinion

mrphotography wrote:

AdamT wrote:

mrphotography wrote:

Nice shots but they're all less than 2 megapixels. Truth be told, when blown up side by side the advantage of FF looks obvious.

He`s Obviously downsized them for display here - Images are easily stolen and these are prime candidates so why would he post full 20Mp versions ? .

If you want to look at full size images from these cameras, download RAWs from the reviews here and process them ..

So he's more worried about having some lame pictures "stolen" than showing us what an Olympus camera can do? I'm not buying it.

I looked at your gallery. No one even listens to posters like you, you have nothing to show period.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM1mk2, Sony A7r2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1 em5mk2

petreluk Senior Member • Posts: 1,609

These are wonderful images. Thank you for posting them here.

I am currently doing a photography course at uni. In nine months, no one has ever raised the question of what kit anyone is using. It’s an irrelevance. The photographer’s vision and creativity expressed in the image is what matters. Folks who spend their time claiming that format A is ‘better’ than format B - well, it’s all a bit sad really. I hope you just continue making wonderful images you love.

-- hide signature --
 petreluk's gear list:petreluk's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
Kent Ekasak
Kent Ekasak Contributing Member • Posts: 687

Petr.. Thank you for sharing inspiring images..

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 42,543
Really love your

First two images great lovely color

I don’t like denial so I like to keep on what’s going on  I admit toe ram possibilities but cautiously optimistic

I decided to keep using m43 until it breaks  As you said it’s photography and these cameras none of them win photographic awards  that never made any sense

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 4,832

mrphotography wrote:

AdamT wrote:

mrphotography wrote:

Nice shots but they're all less than 2 megapixels. Truth be told, when blown up side by side the advantage of FF looks obvious.

He`s Obviously downsized them for display here - Images are easily stolen and these are prime candidates so why would he post full 20Mp versions ? .

If you want to look at full size images from these cameras, download RAWs from the reviews here and process them ..

So he's more worried about having some lame pictures "stolen" than showing us what an Olympus camera can do? I'm not buying it.

Mrs. photography, you should post some of your work for us to admire.... 

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +3 more
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 4,832

Donald B wrote:

mrphotography wrote:

AdamT wrote:

mrphotography wrote:

I looked at your gallery. No one even listens to posters like you, you have nothing to show period.

Don

I looked also, kind of like a kid with a cheap phone.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +3 more
anupamkatkar
anupamkatkar Regular Member • Posts: 194

Chas J wrote:

horsth wrote:

Chas J wrote:

horsth wrote:

Petr,

fantastic images. I'm wondering what a full-frame camera could improve. I guess nothing! It's fashion only.....

Horst

The same photos, if taken with FF, would show less noise, more dynamic range, better tonality, more choice in depth of field and allow larger prints to be made.

These things may or may not matter to you but they are there.

Here we are: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64102184

Yes, very amusing. However, denial and / or making fun of someone (I am not offended) does not change the facts / truth.

You wondered what FF could improve and I answered you. Prove me wrong !.

Your answer lies in your own statement:

"The same photos, if taken with FF, would show less noise, more dynamic range, better tonality, more choice in depth of field and allow larger prints to be made."

And there it is. IF taken with FF.

You want to spend $11,000 using a weather-sealed 600mm prime to photograph a toucan in the rain? Be my guest.

Hike up a mountain with 20 lb of FF gear to photograph puffins? By all means.

Lean out of a small boat and take a creamy-bokeh shot of a Dalmatian pelican with a FF fisheye? You can't, because an f1.8 FF fisheye doesn't exist.

Your saying "FF could have done it better" would be like my looking at a Sony A9 BIF and saying, "yes but a m43 could have filled 2x the frame with the bird." 'Tis a silly thing to say.

anupamkatkar's gear list:anupamkatkar's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D500 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +21 more
Doxa750 Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: They would not make these pics better at all.

Jorginho wrote:

Because the IQ here is so good, you are not detracted and the shots themselves are superb no one would even think of what cam it was shot with. Just admire Petrs exceptional skills. Which is why he wins internationally renowned prizes with his pics.

One other angle is that if these pics were taken with a FF cam, others could have said (at least with a couple of them) that a medium format would have shown less noise etcetc.

Good one there and seeing posts around here it is so true  

Cheers

Doxa750's gear list:Doxa750's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro +6 more
cameron2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,947

Kudos! Beautiful photos!

cameron2's gear list:cameron2's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Hasselblad X1D
R Johns Senior Member • Posts: 1,868

STUNNING and INSPIRATIONAL work, Petr! 

May I ask,  if you could only keep one of your two telephoto primes (Oly 300 f4 / Pany 200 f2.8), which would you chose and why?

Thanks!

Russ

-- hide signature --

~ Greater is He that is within me, than he who is in this world... ~

Bernard de Clairvaux Senior Member • Posts: 1,212
Very nice

Especially like the first one!
Good eye Petr

Best regards,
Bernard

Petr Bambousek
OP Petr Bambousek Regular Member • Posts: 342

Joe Lynch wrote:

Petr--thank you for posting the article and for posting your pictures. I love seeing the work of actual photographers so I always try to read and study your posts here. The Olympus gear still meets all of my needs so I'm not going anywhere any time soon. I think I will spend my time trying to learn from the excellent photographers such as yourself and ignore most others.

Looking forward to your future posts and courses/publications. I promise not to be overly concerned over your hardware choices, as they continue to work very, very well for you.

Joe

Thank you, Joe 😉

Petr Bambousek's gear list:Petr Bambousek's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +10 more
Petr Bambousek

Felice62 wrote:

Beautiful images from an Olympus visionary.

Truth is Olympus time has come up.

The rest is pure nonsense.

I am certain your skills set would produce similar results if you shot canon, nikon, fuji, or Sony.

Cheers

I think the same, gear is just a tool. 😉

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +10 more
Petr Bambousek

Albert Valentino wrote:

Thanks for the article and inspirational images. Personally, i have no desire to switch systems or sell my gear. Although my camera is a EM1.2 that is just over a year old with low mileage and should last for many years, i mayick up a mark III when there is a big sale or a good refurb deal to keep it going. Longest I used a camera was five years with my Nikon D300, then four years with my Fuji XE1. So five years with a EM1 should be easy. When they break, if Olympus is no more I will simply move to Panasonic. If Panasonic bites the dust, then I am not sure but I have many years left to worry about it. To me the 12-100 alone is good reason to stay. Superb IQ, and range and also close focus ability. Olympus really knows how to design great lenses.

Yes, I love my 12-100 too ✌

Petr Bambousek

petreluk wrote:

These are wonderful images. Thank you for posting them here.

I am currently doing a photography course at uni. In nine months, no one has ever raised the question of what kit anyone is using. It’s an irrelevance. The photographer’s vision and creativity expressed in the image is what matters. Folks who spend their time claiming that format A is ‘better’ than format B - well, it’s all a bit sad really. I hope you just continue making wonderful images you love.

Thanks for your words. I will no longer feed those trolls here ✌

Petr Bambousek

Kent Ekasak wrote:

Petr.. Thank you for sharing inspiring images..

Thanks 😉

Petr Bambousek
Re: Really love your

Raist3d wrote:

First two images great lovely color

I don’t like denial so I like to keep on what’s going on I admit toe ram possibilities but cautiously optimistic

I decided to keep using m43 until it breaks As you said it’s photography and these cameras none of them win photographic awards that never made any sense

Keeo going, we have great cameras now 😉

Petr Bambousek

cameron2 wrote:

Kudos! Beautiful photos!

Thank you 😉

Petr Bambousek
Re: Very nice

Bernard de Clairvaux wrote:

Especially like the first one!
Good eye Petr

Best regards,
Bernard

Thank you 😉

Bernard de Clairvaux Senior Member • Posts: 1,212
:) anupamkatkar good one

So funny!

Your saying "FF could have done it better" would be like my looking at a Sony A9 BIF and saying, "yes but a m43 could have filled 2x the frame with the bird." 'Tis a silly thing to say.

Best Regards!
Bernard

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads