Olympus situation - my opinion

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Petr Bambousek
OP Petr Bambousek Regular Member • Posts: 342
Re: Olympus situation - my opinion

Chas J wrote:

I rarely comment on peoples photos mainly because they are often nothing exceptional. However, yours are excellent. Good Job.

Thank you, appreciate it

Petr Bambousek's gear list:Petr Bambousek's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +10 more
Petr Bambousek
Re: Great Images

DLBlack wrote:

I always enjoy your photos.

Without knowing much picture Olympus spinning off their Imaging Division as like parents with an adult child living with them and they are still supporting. The parents have done all they could do and provided the adult child everything to make it on his own. So now it is up to the child to make it on his own. Definitely a new beginning.

I own both the E-M1X and E-M1.3 and have an extensive lens collection. I will continue to buy Olympus gear if it is something I will use. My cameras should last 3 to 5 years. After that who will know what the camera industry will be like.

Dave

Exactly, we will see how it all turns. Since that we have pretty good equipment

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +10 more
Chas J Contributing Member • Posts: 800

horsth wrote:

Chas J wrote:

horsth wrote:

Petr,

fantastic images. I'm wondering what a full-frame camera could improve. I guess nothing! It's fashion only.....

Horst

The same photos, if taken with FF, would show less noise, more dynamic range, better tonality, more choice in depth of field and allow larger prints to be made.

These things may or may not matter to you but they are there.

Here we are: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64102184

Yes, very amusing.   However, denial and / or making fun of someone (I am not offended) does not change the facts / truth.

You wondered what FF could improve and I answered you.  Prove me wrong !.

-- hide signature --

==============
Do Not Listen to What I Say ... Listen to What I Mean !.

Chas J's gear list:Chas J's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D610 Nikon D810 +30 more
Bobby J Veteran Member • Posts: 5,029

Thanks for posting Petr.  All beautiful as I've come to expect.

-- hide signature --

BJM

Bobby J's gear list:Bobby J's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +10 more
Doxa750 Regular Member • Posts: 460

These are outstanding as always!

You again remind us "it is the person behind the gear that matters the most"

I am bumped about no announcement on 100-400mm F5-6.3IS, but had decided to move on and get 300mm F4 Pro instead just a few days ago.

I will consider 8-25mm F4 Pro as well. I know I could go with Pen Leica 8-18 F2.8-4 now, but I don't like the fact that I would loose certain features like Stacking, ProCapture, etc. Oly 7-14F2.8 is too heavy to my liking and most importantly, I cannot use filter.

Cheers

Doxa750's gear list:Doxa750's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +6 more
Okapi001 Senior Member • Posts: 5,093

Chas J wrote:

horsth wrote:

Chas J wrote:

horsth wrote:

Petr,

fantastic images. I'm wondering what a full-frame camera could improve. I guess nothing! It's fashion only.....

Horst

The same photos, if taken with FF, would show less noise, more dynamic range, better tonality, more choice in depth of field and allow larger prints to be made.

Here we are: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64102184

Yes, very amusing. However, denial and / or making fun of someone (I am not offended) does not change the facts / truth.

You wondered what FF could improve and I answered you. Prove me wrong !.

It's very easy to prove you wrong. With a full-frame camera, several of those images would not exist at all, at least not in the same aesthetic quality, because the needed gear would be too heavy to bring along in the rainforest, or the photographer would be too tired to take the photo, or the lens would be too short, or the image stabilisation would not be so good and shorter exposure time would be needed, negating all the benefits of the larger sensor...

Okapi001's gear list:Okapi001's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +16 more
Richandhiscat Contributing Member • Posts: 724

Beautiful Petr, especially the first one - I love the 40-150, used mine for the first time in a year yesterday at a red squirrel hide, made me realise just how good it is, especially wide open.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what software do you process with?

Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 4,832

Excellent images and thanks for a reasoned perspective on the future.

Your composition is just really top tier!

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +3 more
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 4,832

LightCameraAction wrote:

I have been considering a switch to Sony or Nikon. The more I research, the more I realize that Olympus is one of the best systems for my needs.

The big issue is that I am very hesitant to invest more in the system given the uncertainty.

You have time.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +3 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,759
Lovely work Petr -->

Lovely work Petr . The Puffin is my favourite but overall an excellent display of the use of a variety of lenses to their best , great to see the shot of the camera set up for the Orchid shot too ..

Thanks for sharing .......

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D610 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 5,413

Chas J wrote:

horsth wrote:

Petr,

Horst

The same photos, if taken with FF, would show less noise, more dynamic range, better tonality,

No they wouldn’t

more choice in depth of field

Then they would not be the same photos

and allow larger prints to be made.

True for higher mp FF cameras.

-- hide signature --

==============
Do Not Listen to What I Say ... Listen to What I Mean !.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

mrphotography Regular Member • Posts: 128

Petr Bambousek wrote:

I know, there are zillion of threads, opinions and "truths" around the situation of Olympus future. For those interested in my opinion I summed up my point of view and my reaction on different potential scenarios on my websites: https://www.sulasula.com/en/quo-vadis-olympus-en/

I am pretty excited about updated lens roadmap especially with 8-25mm/4 announcement. I am looking forward to closeup photo ability of this lens as I love wide angle perspective in my photos (delivered by 8mm/1.8 or Laowa 7.5mm/2 these days).

Crossing fingers to all satisfied Olympus users! Let me share some recent work to express how usefull is this format to nature and wildlife photography.

Atlantic Puffin, Shetland Islands, Olympus E-M1X + M.Zuiko 40-150mm/2.8

Dalmatian Pelican, Greece, Olympus E-M1X + M.Zuiko 8mm/1.8

Slipper Orchid, Wide angle composition with Olympus E-M1 III + Laowa 7.5mm/2

Slipper Orchid, Czech republic, Olympus E-M1 III + Laowa 7.5mm/2

Mute swan, Czech republic, Olympus E-M1 III + Panasonic Leica 200mm/2.8 OIS

Collared Aracari, Costa Rica, Olympus E-M1 III + M.Zuiko 300mm/4 IS

White-crested Coquette, Costa Rica, Olympus E-M1 III + M.Zuiko 300mm/4 IS + TC 1.4x

Spring flowers, Czech republic, Olympus E-M1 III + Panasonic Leica 200mm/2.8 OIS

Nice shots but they're all less than 2 megapixels. Truth be told, when blown up side by side the advantage of FF looks obvious.

mrphotography's gear list:mrphotography's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Canon EOS RP Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
AdamT

mrphotography wrote:

Nice shots but they're all less than 2 megapixels. Truth be told, when blown up side by side the advantage of FF looks obvious.

He`s Obviously downsized them for display here - Images are easily stolen and these are prime candidates so why would he post full 20Mp versions ? .

If you want to look at full size images from these cameras, download RAWs from the reviews here and process them  ..

-- hide signature --

Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 15,229
They would not make these pics better at all.

Because the IQ here is so good, you are not detracted and the shots themselves are superb no one would even think of what cam it was shot with. Just admire Petrs exceptional skills. Which is why he wins internationally renowned prizes with his pics.

One other angle is that if these pics were taken with a FF cam, others could have said (at least with a couple of them) that a medium format would have shown less noise etcetc.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Joe Lynch Senior Member • Posts: 1,887

Petr--thank you for posting the article and for posting your pictures.  I love seeing the work of actual photographers so I always try to read and study your posts here.  The Olympus gear still meets all of my needs so I'm not going anywhere any time soon.  I think I will spend my time trying to learn from the excellent photographers such as yourself and ignore most others.

Looking forward to your future posts and courses/publications.  I promise not to be overly concerned over your hardware choices, as they continue to work very, very well for you.

Joe

mrphotography Regular Member • Posts: 128

AdamT wrote:

mrphotography wrote:

He`s Obviously downsized them for display here - Images are easily stolen and these are prime candidates so why would he post full 20Mp versions ? .

If you want to look at full size images from these cameras, download RAWs from the reviews here and process them ..

So he's more worried about having some lame pictures "stolen" than showing us what an Olympus camera can do? I'm not buying it.

mrphotography's gear list:mrphotography's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Canon EOS RP Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
AdamT
Re: They would not make these pics better at all.

One other angle is that if these pics were taken with a FF cam, others could have said (at least with a couple of them) that a medium format would have shown less noise etcetc.

Yeah - Imagine shooting that puffin shot with a GFX100 - you`d need all the cropping space of 100Mp just to get the reach from carriable glass ! ..

-- hide signature --

Felice62 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,080

Beautiful images from an Olympus visionary.

Truth is Olympus time has come up.

The rest is pure nonsense.

I am certain your skills set would produce similar results if you shot canon, nikon, fuji, or Sony.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

If only closed minds came with closed mouths..

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +31 more
Petr Bambousek
To proof or not to proof

mrphotography wrote:

AdamT wrote:

mrphotography wrote:

So he's more worried about having some lame pictures "stolen" than showing us what an Olympus camera can do? I'm not buying it.

I really don't know a single person which share its images widely in full format just keep others to believe they are good. I really don't know any more stupid debate than "what is better - FF or m43?'.

And I know this reply will not solve it and make anything better but yes, I spent about half an hour to prepare some 1:1 cuts from presented pictures. These cuts are 1920 x 1080 from full sized image so don't forget to open it in full format if you wish to pixel-peer it.

These debates are nonsense and neverending. Always the same:

- Full frame is better in this and that, you will get better image quality, better prints, etc
+ Maybe, but really not always
- Proove it! Pictures are small
+ Here you are ...
- Pictures are processed, I want to see RAW
+ here you are ...
- Pictures are easy to obtain, I want to see more difficult!
+ here you are ...
- But still, FF is better in many ways

There was even test when people should say which 2 pictures out of 4 were taken with FF and m43 based on 1m prints. They could come as close they need to check. 86% didn't find the different and I am more than pretty sure there were those in the rest of 15% with just lucky guess (980 responds). I wish they print all 20 pictures I delivered from the one day zoo walk and not split to 10:10.

The point is, to try to say which system is better leads to nowhere. The only question is - dou you like the pictures? Yes - Ok. No - Ok. Otherwise the debate can be infinity. If anybody bought its camera just to make sure others were wrong with their choice, something is wrong. There are lots of games we can play, but I prefer to go outside and create photographs instead to write this repeating debates ...

+ FF has better ISO
- Yes, but you are not able handheld 10s pictures
+ No, but FF has better ISO
+ Yes, but you are not able handheld 10s pictures

Bye ...

Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 8,789

Thanks for the article and inspirational images. Personally, i have no desire to switch systems or sell my gear. Although my camera is a EM1.2 that is just over a year old with low mileage and should last for many years, i mayick up a mark III when there is a big sale or a good refurb deal to keep it going. Longest I used a camera was five years with my Nikon D300, then four years with my Fuji XE1. So five years with a EM1 should be easy. When they break, if Olympus is no more I will simply move to Panasonic. If Panasonic bites the dust, then I am not sure but I have many years left to worry about it. To me the 12-100 alone is good reason to stay. Superb IQ, and range and also close focus ability. Olympus really knows how to design great lenses.

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads