Olympus situation - my opinion

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Petr Bambousek
Petr Bambousek Regular Member • Posts: 342
Olympus situation - my opinion

I know, there are zillion of threads, opinions and "truths" around the situation of Olympus future. For those interested in my opinion I summed up my point of view and my reaction on different potential scenarios on my websites: https://www.sulasula.com/en/quo-vadis-olympus-en/

I am pretty excited about updated lens roadmap especially with 8-25mm/4 announcement. I am looking forward to closeup photo ability of this lens as I love wide angle perspective in my photos (delivered by 8mm/1.8 or Laowa 7.5mm/2 these days).

Crossing fingers to all satisfied Olympus users! Let me share some recent work to express how usefull is this format to nature and wildlife photography.

Atlantic Puffin, Shetland Islands, Olympus E-M1X + M.Zuiko 40-150mm/2.8

Dalmatian Pelican, Greece, Olympus E-M1X + M.Zuiko 8mm/1.8

Slipper Orchid, Wide angle composition with Olympus E-M1 III + Laowa 7.5mm/2

Slipper Orchid, Czech republic, Olympus E-M1 III + Laowa 7.5mm/2

Mute swan, Czech republic, Olympus E-M1 III + Panasonic Leica 200mm/2.8 OIS

Collared Aracari, Costa Rica, Olympus E-M1 III + M.Zuiko 300mm/4 IS

White-crested Coquette, Costa Rica, Olympus E-M1 III + M.Zuiko 300mm/4 IS + TC 1.4x

Spring flowers, Czech republic, Olympus E-M1 III + Panasonic Leica 200mm/2.8 OIS

Petr Bambousek's gear list:Petr Bambousek's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +10 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
horsth Senior Member • Posts: 1,627
Re: Olympus situation - my opinion

Petr,

fantastic images. I'm wondering what a full-frame camera could improve. I guess nothing! It's fashion only.....

Horst

horsth's gear list:horsth's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +9 more
absoluutbeginner
absoluutbeginner Regular Member • Posts: 460

Petr ... thanks for the pictures they are fantastic.

There  are a lot of negative guys around here talking doom and trying to pull unsure photographers  to other camera brands. 

But I think that all of the large camera business will have it much more difficult and we will see announcements from the other brands ... 

Vahur Krouverk Senior Member • Posts: 1,229

Thanks for this writeup, it is quite close to my thoghts, nothing is changing for me in next couple of years regardless of Olympus movements. Except I may purchase couple of lenses I've eyed rather sooner. And this updated lens map may add another couple to buy.

And thanks for sharing these wonderful images!

Okapi001 Senior Member • Posts: 5,093

Petr, in your scenarios for the near-future, you didn't mention Panasonic.

I think even if there will be no new Olympus cameras, one can still buy some future Panasonic m4/3 camera (provided there will be one, of course), to save the investment in Zuiko lenses. Panasonic G9 is a very competent camera and I'm sure G10 will be great too.

Okapi001's gear list:Okapi001's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +16 more
LightCameraAction Contributing Member • Posts: 505

I have been considering a switch to Sony or Nikon. The more I research, the more I realize that Olympus is one of the best systems for my needs.

The big issue is that I am very hesitant to invest more in the system given the uncertainty.

Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 17,079

Beautiful images

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM1mk2, Sony A7r2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1 em5mk2

Petr Bambousek
OP Petr Bambousek Regular Member • Posts: 342

horsth wrote:

Petr,

fantastic images. I'm wondering what a full-frame camera could improve. I guess nothing! It's fashion only.....

Horst

Thank you, as I wrote in article only our skills and imagination can limit us these days

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +10 more
Petr Bambousek

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Petr ... thanks for the pictures they are fantastic.

There are a lot of negative guys around here talking doom and trying to pull unsure photographers to other camera brands.

But I think that all of the large camera business will have it much more difficult and we will see announcements from the other brands ...

Based on history there were so many users of "strong brands" laughting to others and everything changed in a split second. Nobody can be sure of nothing. I never imagine Nokia can be forgotten so quicky as it was the most important brand on the market few years ago. We can only wish, no traditional brand will quit the market even we are not users.

Petr Bambousek

Vahur Krouverk wrote:

Thanks for this writeup, it is quite close to my thoghts, nothing is changing for me in next couple of years regardless of Olympus movements. Except I may purchase couple of lenses I've eyed rather sooner. And this updated lens map may add another couple to buy.

And thanks for sharing these wonderful images!

Thank you

Petr Bambousek

Okapi001 wrote:

Petr, in your scenarios for the near-future, you didn't mention Panasonic.

I think even if there will be no new Olympus cameras, one can still buy some future Panasonic m4/3 camera (provided there will be one, of course), to save the investment in Zuiko lenses. Panasonic G9 is a very competent camera and I'm sure G10 will be great too.

Thanks for your note. Actually I covered even Panasonic in my scenarios (Scenario 4. Anything else happens.)

Petr Bambousek

LightCameraAction wrote:

I have been considering a switch to Sony or Nikon. The more I research, the more I realize that Olympus is one of the best systems for my needs.

The big issue is that I am very hesitant to invest more in the system given the uncertainty.

Thank you for your words. Yes, the situation is unpredectible. Sadly it is hard to predict even with other brands as strong as they could be. Speaking of Nikon, these news are also not much positive and the article is before covid disaster. https://petapixel.com/2019/11/12/nikon-says-its-cameras-need-to-justify-their-existence-as-a-business/

sanjaykool Senior Member • Posts: 1,203

Excellent images what more one wants?  - Sanjay

DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,719
Great Images

I always enjoy your photos.

Without knowing much picture Olympus spinning off their Imaging Division as like parents with an adult child living with them and they are still supporting. The parents have done all they could do and provided the adult child everything to make it on his own. So now it is up to the child to make it on his own. Definitely a new beginning.

I own both the E-M1X and E-M1.3 and have an extensive lens collection.  I will continue to buy Olympus gear if it is something I will use.  My cameras should last 3 to 5 years.  After that who will know what the camera industry will be like.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +40 more
Wigelii Regular Member • Posts: 393

horsth wrote:

Petr,

Horst

Be careful. If the FF guys read this, they will look at these photos at 3000% magnification and start claiming that they are too noisy and there is not enough dynamic range, and not enough shallow DOF ...  and they will tell you that you should stop photography if you don't agree.

Wigelii wrote:

horsth wrote:

Petr,

Horst

Be careful. If the FF guys read this, they will look at these photos at 3000% magnification and start claiming that they are too noisy and there is not enough dynamic range, and not enough shallow DOF ... and they will tell you that you should stop photography if you don't agree.

You are so right !!

Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +9 more
Petr Bambousek

Wigelii wrote:

... there is not enough dynamic range, ...

BTW, recently I "discovered" crazy thing. I don't know if it is widely known but one can get amazing dynamic range from m4/3 camera (namely E-M1 III and E-M1X) using combination of ISO 64 and internal ND filter. I did short video about that (only in czech, sorry) but I was very very surprised what you can get back from strongly underexposed (-2 to -3 EV) picture created with this combination.

Here is the link to the video where I talk about it (16:48):
https://youtu.be/6_3mTK29OdA?t=1008

Before/After image enlarged to 100% is one shot only. I describe the setting and other example few moments after

Just for fun

Chas J Contributing Member • Posts: 800

horsth wrote:

Petr,

Horst

The same photos, if taken with FF, would show less noise, more dynamic range, better tonality, more choice in depth of field and allow larger prints to be made.

These things may or may not matter to you but they are there.

-- hide signature --

==============
Do Not Listen to What I Say ... Listen to What I Mean !.

Chas J's gear list:Chas J's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D610 Nikon D810 +30 more

Chas J wrote:

horsth wrote:

Petr,

Horst

The same photos, if taken with FF, would show less noise, more dynamic range, better tonality, more choice in depth of field and allow larger prints to be made.

These things may or may not matter to you but they are there.

Here we are:    https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64102184

Chas J Contributing Member • Posts: 800

Petr Bambousek wrote:

I know, there are zillion of threads, opinions and "truths" around the situation of Olympus future. For those interested in my opinion I summed up my point of view and my reaction on different potential scenarios on my websites: https://www.sulasula.com/en/quo-vadis-olympus-en/

I am pretty excited about updated lens roadmap especially with 8-25mm/4 announcement. I am looking forward to closeup photo ability of this lens as I love wide angle perspective in my photos (delivered by 8mm/1.8 or Laowa 7.5mm/2 these days).

Crossing fingers to all satisfied Olympus users! Let me share some recent work to express how usefull is this format to nature and wildlife photography.

Atlantic Puffin, Shetland Islands, Olympus E-M1X + M.Zuiko 40-150mm/2.8

Dalmatian Pelican, Greece, Olympus E-M1X + M.Zuiko 8mm/1.8

Mute swan, Czech republic, Olympus E-M1 III + Panasonic Leica 200mm/2.8 OIS

Collared Aracari, Costa Rica, Olympus E-M1 III + M.Zuiko 300mm/4 IS

White-crested Coquette, Costa Rica, Olympus E-M1 III + M.Zuiko 300mm/4 IS + TC 1.4x

Spring flowers, Czech republic, Olympus E-M1 III + Panasonic Leica 200mm/2.8 OIS

I rarely comment on peoples photos mainly because they are often nothing exceptional.  However, yours are excellent.  Good Job.

-- hide signature --

==============
Do Not Listen to What I Say ... Listen to What I Mean !.

Chas J's gear list:Chas J's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D610 Nikon D810 +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads