Photos of moonlit clouds with moon in frame

Started 3 months ago | Questions
MacM545 Contributing Member • Posts: 585
Photos of moonlit clouds with moon in frame

I have tried photographing an extremely high contrast scene of clouds with the moon in frame. Although the results were dramatic, the photos were much more artistic than, in a sense, technically perfect. I could overexpose as well as underexpose but the extreme dynamic range was literally daunting to overcome. HDR was in practice not feasible as the clouds moved very quickly- I was trying to use a long focal length of about 230mm to get at least some lunar detail. You might be able to imagine why getting the scene in a single photo was daunting, but if at all possible, can it be done without resorting to composite?

MacM545's gear list:MacM545's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 500D Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Fujifilm 50-230mm II +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 6,706
Re: Photos of moonlit clouds with moon in frame

MacM545 wrote:

I have tried photographing an extremely high contrast scene of clouds with the moon in frame. Although the results were dramatic, the photos were much more artistic than, in a sense, technically perfect. I could overexpose as well as underexpose but the extreme dynamic range was literally daunting to overcome. HDR was in practice not feasible as the clouds moved very quickly- I was trying to use a long focal length of about 230mm to get at least some lunar detail. You might be able to imagine why getting the scene in a single photo was daunting, but if at all possible, can it be done without resorting to composite?

Try again in twilight before the sky becomes too dark.

If that is not possible take a separate image of the moon and blend in post. Cameras have limited dynamic range, no way around that in a single shot.

bmike
bmike Senior Member • Posts: 2,257

Moon over clouds

Moon rising over Glarus alps.

Moon through clouds

Digitaliz
Digitaliz Regular Member • Posts: 360

Shoot the moon däringa daylight and turn it into black and white.

/Stefan

Digitaliz's gear list:Digitaliz's gear list
Tamron 15-30mm F2.8
nighthiker Regular Member • Posts: 324

Hi!

Try to reduce the contrast (e.g. twilight sky, thin clouds in front of the moon, etc.) of the scene and increase the dynamic range of your camera (e.g. use low ISO). Example from a single frame below.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads