Signs of (Olympus) Life

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 42,252
I agree looks nice but...

BostonBoy wrote:

Positive News for ones:

https://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/development-announcements?utm_content=cta&utm_campaign=2020_07_Development_US&utm_kxconfid=t5ljhtrz5&utm_source=email_ettips&utm_medium=email&sfmc_sub=129901903

Let's see the delivery.  It's just a announcement in the middle of great uncertainty and a delay.

Very interested in the 8-25 F4 Pro as to how it looks, what size and how much barrel distortion correction. Seems in line with the 12-45 Pro lens, which is nice.

It's like they are paying attention to the size of the system again. Bit late if you ask me but who knows if it helps in a major way in the end.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,331
New Oly Statement on Olympus' Future:

"Dear valued customers

We sincerely apologize for causing you worry during this eventful moment in Olympus history.

At the same time, we would like to take this opportunity to thank the many customers for their warm wishes and encouragement for the future of Olympus cameras. We have received many heartfelt messages from Olympus users telling us how they are looking forward to our new products.

This is not the end- this is a new beginning.

Olympus has long believed that no matter your photographic desire, it's pointless if you can't easily carry your camera with you.

Our understanding of the value of small and lightweight camera systems and the pursuit for advancement of them has been passed down through generations of Olympus products. Indeed, this spirit is engraved in our DNA.

"Compact and lightweight", "Powerful image stabilization", and "Optical performance"- these things will continue to be reflected in our new products into the future.

We are preparing for a new journey- one we want to make with you.

[..] We thank you for your continued support."

Source: https://www.facebook.com/OlympusOMD.Official/photos/a.280561898677217/3248163885250322/

I'm very much looking forward to Oly's next camera announcements!

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +2 more
Bassaidai Contributing Member • Posts: 511
Re: Signs of (Olympus) Life

The other day, at the Olympus boardroom meeting...

"Guys, now that we announced clearance sale of the imaging department, we need to make sure to keep the stock markets happy... I'm up for suggestions..."

"Ah, we could express our will and commitment to the photo-community and deliver highquality...."

"SHUT UP, this will cost us way too much money, which we don't have. Also, we can't make sure to KEEP all those promises we are about to give..."

"Well, we could just update our lens road map. No obligations attached, it will seem like a sign of life, like we are really trying to push. Many months later those lenses somehow will just disappear on paper if JIB is not willing to follow up."

"EXCELLENT idea - lets update that lens road map and make sure the marketing department stirs it up massively".

Done.

-- hide signature --

Bass
If things appear to good to be true - they're usually neither of both.

Bassaidai's gear list:Bassaidai's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +8 more
How much you believe PR

how much do you believe corporate PR at face value  they just  you imaging wasn’t for sale and that it was critical for medical R&D

I think it’s nice they address the customers but all I am saying is, it’s good to be cautiously optimistic

Let’s  see them build the new track record

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Bernard Regular Member • Posts: 330
Re: New Oly Statement on Olympus' Future:

Danielvr wrote:

"Dear valued customers

We sincerely apologize for causing you worry during this eventful moment in Olympus history.

At the same time, we would like to take this opportunity to thank the many customers for their warm wishes and encouragement for the future of Olympus cameras. We have received many heartfelt messages from Olympus users telling us how they are looking forward to our new products.

This is not the end- this is a new beginning.

Olympus has long believed that no matter your photographic desire, it's pointless if you can't easily carry your camera with you.

Our understanding of the value of small and lightweight camera systems and the pursuit for advancement of them has been passed down through generations of Olympus products. Indeed, this spirit is engraved in our DNA.

"Compact and lightweight", "Powerful image stabilization", and "Optical performance"- these things will continue to be reflected in our new products into the future.

We are preparing for a new journey- one we want to make with you.

[..] We thank you for your continued support."

Source: https://www.facebook.com/OlympusOMD.Official/photos/a.280561898677217/3248163885250322/

I'm very much looking forward to Oly's next camera announcements!

Too little, much too late?  This is the type of clear message of purpose that they needed all along.  The E-M5 III with the 12-45mm pro was the first combination to excite me for a long time: Light, small, with good ergonomics and excellent performance.

I go way back with Olympus (including the OM2n when it first came out and an E-520).  They needed to emphasize what sets them apart from other formats with a long-term and consistent message that was clear to other photographers and would-be photographers alike.

Regards,

Bernard

Bernard's gear list:Bernard's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
shinndigg Veteran Member • Posts: 4,108

I already downloaded and tried the WebCam beta.. camera works fine.. I'll be trying it for a zoom meeting on Saturday morning

-- hide signature --

shinndigg
www.pbase.com/shinndigg

shinndigg's gear list:shinndigg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Olympus E-510 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +7 more
BostonBoy
OP BostonBoy Senior Member • Posts: 1,752

Oh well. Stupid me. Just bought an OMD 1 MK3 at my local dealer tonight.

BostonBoy's gear list:BostonBoy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1
absoluutbeginner
absoluutbeginner Regular Member • Posts: 459

Bassaidai wrote:

The other day, at the Olympus boardroom meeting...

"Guys, now that we announced clearance sale of the imaging department, we need to make sure to keep the stock markets happy... I'm up for suggestions..."

"Ah, we could express our will and commitment to the photo-community and deliver highquality...."

"SHUT UP, this will cost us way too much money, which we don't have. Also, we can't make sure to KEEP all those promises we are about to give..."

"Well, we could just update our lens road map. No obligations attached, it will seem like a sign of life, like we are really trying to push. Many months later those lenses somehow will just disappear on paper if JIB is not willing to follow up."

"EXCELLENT idea - lets update that lens road map and make sure the marketing department stirs it up massively".

Done.

Quite a misthrust for someone with so many Olympus Equipment ...... did that equipment stop overnight I would be laughing my face off if it did only for 1 week . 

FourthHorse
FourthHorse Regular Member • Posts: 222

BostonBoy wrote:

Positive News for ones:

https://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/development-announcements?utm_content=cta&utm_campaign=2020_07_Development_US&utm_kxconfid=t5ljhtrz5&utm_source=email_ettips&utm_medium=email&sfmc_sub=129901903

Maybe a CSI team could cut through all that confusion... Especially since I am likely to die with Olympus gear in hand.

-- hide signature --

Fourth Horse
Erri De Luca said that humans live as long as three horses and then goes on displaying his wisdom. I'm well past both.

FourthHorse's gear list:FourthHorse's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,401

BostonBoy wrote:

Positive News for ones:

It's going to be a race between Olympus releasing the 150-400 and Olympus selling their camera division to some hacks. If this lens only cost a couple hundred dollars, I wouldn't sweat it. But this lens is going to cost thousands, and I'm going to want to feel like they will be supporting it (for repair, firmware upgrade) for many years to come.

Well, that's not going to happen. So that's it for me. My big bucks camera purchases will just have to go elsewhere.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more

BostonBoy wrote:

I don't think everyone that sees Olympus having challenges would disagree that would have been the right choice for you.  Don't imply otherwise

-- hide signature --

justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 9,443
Re: New Oly Statement on Olympus' Future:

Danielvr wrote:

We are preparing for a new journey-

and if it fails, blame Japan Industrial Partners, not us.

Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,331

It's going to be a race between Olympus releasing the 150-400 and Olympus selling their camera division to some hacks. [..] I'm going to want to feel like they will be supporting it (for repair, firmware upgrade) for many years to come.

Well, that's not going to happen.

Says who?

Did Hasselblad stop servicing and expanding their product line when they got new ownership?

Did Minolta..?

Did Leica..?

Did Pentax..?

If not, then why all the hand wringing now?

So that's it for me. My big bucks camera purchases will just have to go elsewhere.

Not a single manufacturer is in good shape. Maybe Olympus users are lucky that their brand still found a new investor.

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +2 more
boxerman Senior Member • Posts: 1,788

BostonBoy wrote:

If I hadn't already bought one, I certainly would now.

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
K1W1 55
K1W1 55 Contributing Member • Posts: 673

Danielvr wrote:

It's going to be a race between Olympus releasing the 150-400 and Olympus selling their camera division to some hacks. [..] I'm going to want to feel like they will be supporting it (for repair, firmware upgrade) for many years to come.

Well, that's not going to happen.

Says who?

Did Hasselblad stop servicing and expanding their product line when they got new ownership?

Did Minolta..?

Did Leica..?

Did Pentax..?

So that's it for me. My big bucks camera purchases will just have to go elsewhere.

Not a single manufacturer is in good shape. Maybe Olympus users are lucky that their brand still found a new investor.

Or to continue with listing the "good"brands. The brands I'd like to have if I was rich  So many"bad" things I'd do if the payment was a new PhaseOne  with the Mamiya & Leaf parentage & often name.

Did Mamiya ....?

Did Leaf ....?

-- hide signature --

Mandatory self advertising signature follows:
Some slideshows & videos of a wee bit of my work, more to be added
if I ever sort out my music rights issues & find some suitable music.
http://www.youtube.com/user/truder55/videos

K1W1 55's gear list:K1W1 55's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +39 more
K1W1 55
K1W1 55 Contributing Member • Posts: 673

boxerman wrote:

BostonBoy wrote:

Well at the end of May I picked up a new mk2 at a nice price (loving it) and will be looking for a mk3 or maybe EM1X in the next 12 months all going well & we have no more plague caused economic  set backs, well ones to my income anyway, to the general economy it is a forgone conclusion .

Would've gone for the mk3 at the time but I also had my eye on a used PL 100-400 & buying both if one was a mk3 wasn't in my disposable income basket - loving the lens too now I know it's foibles & what not to do with it .

-- hide signature --

Mandatory self advertising signature follows:
Some slideshows & videos of a wee bit of my work, more to be added
if I ever sort out my music rights issues & find some suitable music.
http://www.youtube.com/user/truder55/videos

K1W1 55's gear list:K1W1 55's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +39 more
Bassaidai Contributing Member • Posts: 511

Absolutely true.

Mistrust on paper, mistrust on future plans, mistrust on business plans, mistrust on intents, mistrust on later software changes, mistrust on rumors (even level 5 ones...), mistrust on road maps, mistrust on good intentions business-wise.

All I trust is what I can use NOW. The Oly lenses and Pana bodies I use are excellent NOW (ymmv). Completely regardless of any future plans of Olympus or Panasonic.

I had a Canon 300D since 2004. If Canon had disappeared from the market that time I was still able to use the camera today, because it still works and the lenses are THERE (I dont actually use it, because I prefer the comfort, quality and resolution of current gear).

Absolultely same will apply to Olympus or Panasonic: if they'd disappear today we're probably still having fun in the next 15-20 years.

Thats different with Fuji or Nikon Z or Canon M: people have to WAIT for really good lenses to show up finally and get the best out of their gear.

-- hide signature --

Bass
If things appear to good to be true - they're usually neither of both.

Bassaidai's gear list:Bassaidai's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +8 more
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 9,443

Danielvr wrote:

Nobody knows what will happen, but one option is for JIP to pull Olympus out of some countries. Olympus has roughly twice the camera sales in Japan as they do in North America. Olympus Camera has been losing money for many years, so business as usual isn't an option. JIP is going to have to do something drastic.

HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 5,980

boxerman wrote:

BostonBoy wrote:

I would not have any reservations about buying any new Oly products.

My Oly bodies are working fine: EM1.2 and EM10 that's about 8 years old.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads