RX100 III vs Samsung S9+

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
jackal14 New Member • Posts: 6
RX100 III vs Samsung S9+

I travel a lot and I love taking pictures. Lately, I am thinking to take a mid or entry level compact camera on my vacations. I’m not a very serious photographer. Portability is more important to me.

My current smartphone is the Samsung S9+ and I am using it very well with the 4k videos.

For someone who doesn't care about video and doesn't post pics online would the RX100 III take better still pictures than phones like the Samsung S9+ ? Does the RX100 III take photos that are $350 better?

jackal14's gear list:jackal14's gear list
Sony RX100 III
Samsung Galaxy S9+ Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,358
Re: RX100 III vs Samsung S9+

That actually depends more the photographer than the equipment.

Remember your S9 “ cheats” a lot by using computational tech, artificial intelligence and high image processing tech behind the scenes to help you create your masterpiece.

With these cameras a lot of it is up to you . From choosing the best iso, shutter speed, aperture to choosing wether to shoot in raw and post process on a pc later or shoot jpeg and select your colour palette, set the sharpness,hues, contrast and white balance etc.

A camera will allow you more freedom to create your vision.

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Sony a7 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Nikon D7100
Rambow Contributing Member • Posts: 810
You answered your own question

jackal14 wrote:

I’m not a very serious photographer. Portability is more important to me.

Smartphone it is, then.

Don't matter if you buy the world's best pocket camera if you don't plan on using it, is there?

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
OP jackal14 New Member • Posts: 6
Re: You answered your own question

Rambow wrote:

jackal14 wrote:

Smartphone it is, then.

Don't matter if you buy the world's best pocket camera if you don't plan on using it, is there?

I am not a serious photographer, but I would gladly use a small compact camera better than my smartphone on my travels

I just don't want to buy a camera that doesn't take better photos from my smartphone.

PS: The price of the 2nd hand rx100 m3 camera is half the price of my smartphone.

I welcome any suggestions.

Sony RX100 III
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 12,225
Re: You answered your own question

jackal14 wrote:

Rambow wrote:

jackal14 wrote:

Smartphone it is, then.

I am not a serious photographer, but I would gladly use a small compact camera better than my smartphone on my travels

I just don't want to buy a camera that doesn't take better photos from my smartphone.

PS: The price of the 2nd hand rx100 m3 camera is half the price of my smartphone.

I welcome any suggestions.

I think Labe has given you some good insights. Basically, the camera is less automated than the phone, as it's expected that camera owners will want to take more control. If you take advantage of the extra controls and options, and shoot RAW, you will certainly be able to achieve better results with the camera.

But if you use it like most people use phone cameras (ie, completely automatic mode), then you'll likely be disappointed. Just because the camera is capable of more, doesn't mean you'll necessarily get more from it unless you work at it. So it means learning about apertures, shutter speeds, depth of field, ISO, the autofocus system, using the viewfinder, etc. You'll probably also want to learn about post-processing — some people really enjoy that, others find it a tedious waste of time.

So, the simple answer is that, no the camera won't take better pictures than the smartphone, without some help from you. In completely automatic mode, I think it will probably take worse pictures than the phone.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +18 more
Rambow Contributing Member • Posts: 810
You did it again

jackal14 wrote:

The camera does not take pictures, you take pictures with a camera.

The smartphone app is fully automated, in that regard it almost takes pictures by itself, which suits your style better.

Even the rx100 I takes better pics than your phone, but not on auto. You have to work it, not as easy as with a phone.

No camera takes pictures by itself, in that regard a high end smartphone makes better pictures than a 10.000 medium format rig because there is more automation involved and the fact that everything looks the same on a 6 inch amoled screen. No difference between a 2 megapixel image sent over whatsapp and a 100 megabyte image produced by the medium format sensor.

And now, the amazing Rambowini will predict the future: OP will buy a camera and 150 clicks/12 months later he will sell it because of the lack of use/poor IQ on auto mode. Then a new topic will appear on DPR:

"Sold my camera because my smartphone provides better IQ" or something like that.

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
66GTO Veteran Member • Posts: 4,063

Just leave the phone at home and carry the camera with you for a few weeks. You probably won't miss the phone.

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Nikon Df +1 more
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 2,615

I actually did a very relevant comparison a few years back!

Click Here

I would say that an RX100 III offers a potential improvement in image quality and photographic enjoyment over a smartphone. That improvement is predicated on you investing substantial time into learning the camera, understanding exposure, and developing images in post-processing.

If you're more interested in worrying about composition and taking photos without worrying about exposure or post-processing, a flagship smartphone - which will nail exposure and perform advanced post-processing for you - will produce a  more appealing image. Hence my recommendation to 99% of people to just get a phone with a nice camera and use that for photos. The other 1% will adore the process of shooting with an RX100 series camera. Think of it like automatic vs manual transmission driving, and realize that you're on the equivalent of a muscle car forum where people hate Toyota Camrys.

The RX100 III does offer better "zoom photo" quality that the older smartphone can't match due to its inclusion of a zooming lens. But if you don't want to take up dedicated camera photography as a hobby I would recommend spending the incremental money to just upgrade your phone to one with a dedicated telephoto lens.

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,939

I did own the RX100 III a few years ago and I've also owned the S9 and the Note 9

I got much better results with the RX100, even though I only shot jpeg. The output of the smartphone is too over processed for my liking, and much worse in low light. Video was also better on the Sony.

Then you have to factor in the usefulness of a decent flash, proper optical zoom, easier to use manual controls, EVF, tripod screw etc.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 47,373

I suspect the phone will be fine for you. If you want telephoto go for the RX100vii.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
aerorail Contributing Member • Posts: 875

is this a serious question??

i haven't seen any samsung take a great photo yet, especially at night. i only use it to take a pic and text it to someone soon after...

aerorail's gear list:aerorail's gear list
Sony RX100 III

aerorail wrote:

i haven't seen any samsung take a great photo yet, especially at night. i only use it to take a pic and text it to someone soon after...

Samsung NX cameras took fantastic photos..

Oh, if you mean Samsung smartphones I'm inclined to agree. I wouldn't say they take terrible photos, but nothing to write home about.

BrentSchumer

aerorail wrote:

Have you used a recent flagship smartphone? They perform quite well, especially compared to an RX100M3 in full auto.

Sony RX100 VI
telefunk
telefunk Senior Member • Posts: 2,606

jackal14 wrote:

I travel a lot and I love taking pictures. Lately, I am thinking to take a mid or entry level compact camera on my vacations. I’m not a very serious photographer. Portability is more important to me.

My current smartphone is the Samsung S9+ and I am using it very well with the 4k videos.

For someone who doesn't care about video and doesn't post pics online would the RX100 III take better still pictures than phones like the Samsung S9+ ? Does the RX100 III take photos that are $350 better?

For posting pictures online all you need is the most basic phone or camera. So you mean you need high quality? Get the Sony!

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Casio EX-ZR5000 Fujifilm X-A5 +5 more
JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,193

I have a Mk 1 and a mid-range smartphone, but don't use the smartphone camera much because I dislike the ergonomics and because I'm happy with making the choices which improve the shot to be what I want. Having a good carry system (on waist belt) means I have it with me, and it's great travelling/hiking.

One thing I would encourage is to view costs of photographic gear on an annualised basis, particularly since the lifetime of a smartphone is practically half that of a decent camera in my estimation. So instead of justifying a top-end smartphone to myself on the basis that it could do good photography, I've put the photographic money into a camera.

I think it depends where you want to go with photography, and what kind of use you want to put it to - prints? It's fine if you want to stick with the smartphone by the way!

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more

JohnnyLuddite wrote:

I have a Mk 1 and a mid-range smartphone, but don't use the smartphone camera much because I dislike the ergonomics and because I'm happy with making the choices which improve the shot to be what I want. Having a good carry system (on waist belt) means I have it with me, and it's great travelling/hiking.

One thing I would encourage is to view costs of photographic gear on an annualised basis, particularly since the lifetime of a smartphone is practically half that of a decent camera in my estimation. So instead of justifying a top-end smartphone to myself on the basis that it could do good photography, I've put the photographic money into a camera.

I think it depends where you want to go with photography, and what kind of use you want to put it to - prints? It's fine if you want to stick with the smartphone by the way!

This is great advice. My 'top end' camera was roughly the same price as my current smartphone, but I bought that camera 5 years ago. I've had the phone a year now and reckon I'll hold onto it for another year.

Because I've basically got a camera from a dead camera system there is no upgrade path so I'm kind of stuck with it unless I change systems. The good thing is that this camera is still plenty good enough for my needs.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 47,373

JohnnyLuddite wrote:

I do exactly the same thing and I have my smartphone clipped to my belt next to my smartphone. Because being clipped to my belt is so unobtrusive it's essentially the same as bringing nothing at all.

My iPhone covers a range wider than my RX100 M1 so it's useful if I want to use it but that is rare.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
OP jackal14 New Member • Posts: 6

Hi,

Thanks for all valuable advices. I announce my decision with a freshly taken photo:)

From now on, I focus on learning its usage in every aspect to reveal all the quality and to get most enjoyment.

Sony RX100 III
JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,193

jackal14 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for all valuable advices. I announce my decision with a freshly taken photo:)

From now on, I focus on learning its usage in every aspect to reveal all the quality and to get most enjoyment.

Congratulations and have a load of fun in the journey! You may find yourself seeing the world with a different eye, and noticing things you never saw before.

Having it with you helps, I use a little belt bag.

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
BrentSchumer

jackal14 wrote:

Hi,

Excellent! Some recommendations:

1. Here is a one-hour video on how to use the RX100M3: Link 
  2. An excellent guide to to the camera, though it's a bit pricey: Link 
  3. Get a grip! (on your camera): Link 
  4. Protect that back LCD before it gets scratched up: Link

Take a lot of pictures and enjoy!  Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Sony RX100 VI
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads