Any portrait photo galleries w/Sigma SD Quattro?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
SteveNunez
SteveNunez Contributing Member • Posts: 934
Any portrait photo galleries w/Sigma SD Quattro?

Hello friends, I'm looking for high quality samples of portraits taken with the Sigma SD Quattro- might anyone know of any online galleries I can browse?

Thanks everyone~

-- hide signature --

Steve Nunez~South Florida Artist
www.stevenunez.com
Pan G85,GF7/9, Oly EM 1, Lytro Illum, Nikon D5600,P1000 & Canon T100 Others~~

SteveNunez's gear list:SteveNunez's gear list
Lytro Illum Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Olympus E-M1 +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sigma sd Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
saltydogstudios
saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 2,184
Re: Any portrait photo galleries w/Sigma SD Quattro?

Not a portrait gallery but I do have two dp3 Quattro photos here.

https://medium.com/ice-cream-geometry/an-ode-to-the-sigma-merrill-506dd0864169

-- hide signature --
 saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Nikon D7000 +6 more
SteveNunez
OP SteveNunez Contributing Member • Posts: 934

Thanks for the reply- but I'm looking for SD portraits....thanks again.

-- hide signature --

www.stevenunez.com

Lytro Illum Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Olympus E-M1 +4 more
saltydogstudios

SteveNunez wrote:

I know - but same sensor.

Why are you looking specifically for sd Quattro?

-- hide signature --
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Nikon D7000 +6 more
saltydogstudios

saltydogstudios wrote:

SteveNunez wrote:

Also

https://www.flickr.com/search/?group_id=2961299%40N23&view_all=1&text=portrait

-- hide signature --
Hornbrille
Hornbrille Regular Member • Posts: 371

https://uvl.photo/alben/portrait-1/ is my website's portrait branch. Most studio portraits there are taken with the SDQH. You can open the pictures in a new tab to see the file names.

Hornbrille's gear list:Hornbrille's gear list
Sony a7 II Sigma sd Quattro H Sony a7 III Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +6 more
SteveNunez

Hornbrille, fantastic set of portraits- they have a 'special' look to them...super classy and artistic.

Thanks to all for the replies.

-- hide signature --

www.stevenunez.com

LaMeule Regular Member • Posts: 375

SteveNunez wrote:

Hello friends, I'm looking for high quality samples of portraits taken with the Sigma SD Quattro- might anyone know of any online galleries I can browse?

Thanks everyone~

You will find some portraits (though not many) if you look down in this gallery:

https://www.juzaphoto.com/recensione.php?l=en&t=sigma_sd_quattro

and a couple there:

https://www.juzaphoto.com/recensione.php?l=en&t=sigma_sd_quattro_h

cheers

-- hide signature --
 LaMeule's gear list:LaMeule's gear list
Ricoh GR Sigma SD1 Merrill Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
Hornbrille

Thanks, Steve! 

Sony a7 II Sigma sd Quattro H Sony a7 III Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +6 more
saltydogstudios

Hornbrille wrote:

https://uvl.photo/alben/portrait-1/ is my website's portrait branch. Most studio portraits there are taken with the SDQH. You can open the pictures in a new tab to see the file names.

Nice work.

In what situations do you see yourself gravitating to one camera over another?

Interesting that you went for the Quattro in relatively low key situations where I would NOT have trusted a Foveon precisely because it handles color differently at different exposure levels.

Also interesting that I more or less guessed which were the Quattro imagers vs. non Quattro.

-- hide signature --
saltydogstudios

saltydogstudios wrote:

SteveNunez wrote:

So no answer as to why you care more about the sd than dp?

-- hide signature --
SteveNunez

I ordered a Sigma sd Quattro and wanted to see specific samples with that camera as opposed to the DP series; I am aware they share similar sensors but were interested in lens/camera combo outputs with the sd specifically.

I purchased an SD9 many years back when it was released and wasn't too pleased with the output but thought Foveon tech was super cool. I'm hoping things have improved for the Foveon Sigma cameras in this modern age and am looking forward to receiving the sd Quattro I have ordered.

I have found (and ordered) a 'NOS' Sigma 150-500 SA lens as well and am eager to see what sort of wildlife shots I can achieve with this combo. I'm concerned with the apparent limit of ISO performance and the suggestion to remain at base ISO which is going to be very hard to do without in-body IS for long range telephoto use but am eager to try and experiment.

Photography is a hobby for me and I know shooting with my Sony A7III/Nikon/Canon EOS will nearly always yield a very good photograph but with the Sigma sd I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting that incredible 'Foveon look' that will take some 'know-how' to attain. If I fail, I'll sell and move on and probably give the FP a shot next- but for now the sd Quattro represents a challenge I'm willing to undertake.

If all goes well, I'll have some nice Florida wildlife images to share soon; if not, I've learned and grown....it's all part of what photography is for 'me.'

Thanks for the replies everyone; enjoy your shooting!

-- hide signature --

www.stevenunez.com

Hornbrille

saltydogstudios wrote:

Hornbrille wrote:

https://uvl.photo/alben/portrait-1/ is my website's portrait branch. Most studio portraits there are taken with the SDQH. You can open the pictures in a new tab to see the file names.

Nice work.

Thanks

In what situations do you see yourself gravitating to one camera over another?

I usually ask myself if it's worth the effort of using a tripod and adjusting the light. If yes, I use the SDQH. No color moire and file size might be other reasons to use the SDQH.

Interesting that you went for the Quattro in relatively low key situations where I would NOT have trusted a Foveon precisely because it handles color differently at different exposure levels.

Almost all of those low key images are exposed much lighter with enough ambient light to lighten the shadows. Otherwise you loose the dark parts to the sensor noise. "Low key" and sometimes color grading is mostly done in post.

Also interesting that I more or less guessed which were the Quattro imagers vs. non Quattro.

Haha! You would see it even better at the underexposed ones.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads