Charging 5DIV batteries with battery pack?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
EAV ATL New Member • Posts: 5
Charging 5DIV batteries with battery pack?

Prepping for a 7 day wilderness trip with no access to electricity. Need a way to have enough power for my 5D IV so I can take all the photos and video I need.

Solar I’ve moved on from as too expensive and inefficient. Now looking at small battery packs.

Smallest and cheapest are USB out for phones etc, but wondering if there’s a way with an adapter etc to charge the camera batteries?

Larger and more expensive are AC out (2 prong) battery packs. Here is becomes a question of how many charges are there in a battery pack. I’m not sure how to properly calculate that and I’m sure there is some power loss in the recharge process. Looking at an 88 Wh / 24000 mAh 80 W pack.

Or do I just purchase more camera batteries? They’re small, lightweight and if I charge all up before getting on the river and I manage power, potentially the most efficient.

Thoughts and especially experience on multi day remote trips appreciated!
Thanks!!!!

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
M Stewart Contributing Member • Posts: 807
Re: Charging 5DIV batteries with battery pack?

EAV ATL wrote:

Prepping for a 7 day wilderness trip with no access to electricity. Need a way to have enough power for my 5D IV so I can take all the photos and video I need.

Thanks!!!!

Your 5D IV takes essentially the same battery pack as my 7D II.  I've had excellent life out of my Canon batteries, and also good results from a much lower cost 3rd. party battery.  If your planned trip into the wild allows, can you do your own tests?  We all have different usage patterns, and I imagine "chimping" drains batteries quite quickly, but haven't done any tests.  ... and I've never ventured away from a reliable mains supply.

If you do choose a battery pack approach, will it use a lead-acid power source? (Precautions against damage & leakage?)  That I would expect to be less attractive than modern lithium cell technology.  I certainly wouldn't recommend trying to charge any Lithium based cell without using the supplied Canon charger, with its built-in safety features.

(Can you forego taking video?  Camcorder instead?)

-- hide signature --

M. Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

M Stewart's gear list:M Stewart's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF +15 more
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,163

I don't shoot video but I easily can get a day or two of photography on each Canon OEM battery. If it were me, I'd buy extra batteries and not bother with a charger thingy. If you buy the charger thingy then you also have to take along the battery charger.  But if you are taking along a couple of batteries anyway for your normal usage, getting three or four more won't add that much weight and you won't have to worry about the extra paraphernalia.

hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,843

Heck, how much actual shooting are you doing during your seven day trip? As a photojournalist I'm a huge believer in keeping things simple. Just buy 2-3 extra RAVPower batteries for your 5D IV and you are good to go.

I'm powering my two gripped 5D IV bodies with RAVPower batteries and I have nothing but good to say about them.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 11-24mm F4L +3 more
Holscen Contributing Member • Posts: 692
Quantum Turbo 3 with SD7 adapter for Canon 5D mk3

....is another way to go. Quantum Turbo 3 can power a flash and a camera at the same time. Or two flashes. It uses nimh batteries.

The older quantum 2x2 battery also had a 2nd socket that output a lower voltage that can safely power a dslr.

I have 2 Turbo 3 batteries, and various Quantum SD power adapters for Canon 20D/5D, Canon 1Dmk2n, and y Canon 5D mk3/7D mk2.

I use these Turbo packs for Cameras, Quantum flashes, Canon speedlites and Neewer Speedlites.

Good for filming or timelapse work too.

Holscen's gear list:Holscen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +4 more
phototeacher Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

EAV ATL wrote:

Solar I’ve moved on from as too expensive and inefficient. Now looking at small battery packs.

Smallest and cheapest are USB out for phones etc, but wondering if there’s a way with an adapter etc to charge the camera batteries?

Taking the battery pack and a Canon charger will add quite a bit to your pack, if you are going to backpack and want to keep the weight down.

Larger and more expensive are AC out (2 prong) battery packs. Here is becomes a question of how many charges are there in a battery pack. I’m not sure how to properly calculate that and I’m sure there is some power loss in the recharge process. Looking at an 88 Wh / 24000 mAh 80 W pack.

Battery pack with AC converter is a bit more specialized; will you actually have another use for it after your trip?

Also, with either of these packs, if you are going with a group, then invariably someone will want to borrow your pack to charge their device. Not a problem if you only brought along extra camera batteries.

Or do I just purchase more camera batteries? They’re small, lightweight and if I charge all up before getting on the river and I manage power, potentially the most efficient.

I would agree, taking along extra camera batteries will take up less space/weight, and will be relatively easy to keep dry (you mentioned getting to the river) during the trip. They can always come in handy assuming you keep the same camera system, and if not, would be easier to sell than either of the above units you mentioned.

I would suggest that you follow the KISS principle!

Thanks!!!!

Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,009

I'd get a few extra batteries. When I travel in remote areas with very little access to reliable electricity, that's what I do.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +7 more
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 13,090

EAV ATL wrote:

Thanks!!!!

If you go to Amazon and search for "lp6 battery charger" you will find a number of chargers that can be powered by USB, 12V DC, or both.

Charging a battery is not 100% efficient. In terms of efficiency, you would be better off just buying multiple high capacity LP-E6 batteries. A genuine Canon LP-E6N battery is rated at 1865mAh. Some third party batteries are rated with higher capacity, and some with lower capacity.

If the camera was the only think that needed to be powered, I would consider buying a multiple third party, high capacity, LP-E6N batteries.

Do keep in mind that if you are traveling by air, you may be limited in battery capacity. The TSA limits you to Lithium batteries with 100 or 160 watt hours or less. Loose batteries and power banks are prohibited in checked luggage. The TSA limits how many large batteries you can carry, and individual airlines may have lower limits. See https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/resources/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf for more details.

Ultimately,  other constraints of your trip will play a role. Do you have weight and size constraints?  Do you have other devices that need to be recharged?  Will you have occasional access to 12V power.

I would also suggest you take another look at battery packs with solar power. $40 should get you a 25,000 mAh battery pack with 4 fold out solar panels.   If you are in a situation where you can leave them in bright sunlight during the day, then a few of those and a USB charger might be the way to go.

I would also suggest you fine tune your camera to minimize power usage. Reduce the brightness of the LCD, turn off Image Stabilization when not needed, reduce the review time for images, and shorten the power down delay.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +16 more
OP EAV ATL New Member • Posts: 5

Craig, potentially a lot! Especially if I'm shooting video. Like you, I'm a pro. Editorial and advertising though, not photojournalism. But as you probably know, can also easily shoot 5K images in a day if I'm shooting lifestyle with a client who wants a lot of content and options, though this is a personal trip and shooting more for my portfolio.

I've tended to steer away from 3rd party batteries, but those RAVPower batteries are a good deal and the company certainly looks like they specialize in batteries, not some side market for them. Saw your post on Amazon too. Assume you still feel good about them? If I can buy 4 of them for the price of one Canon, that might be the best way to get me through.

OP EAV ATL New Member • Posts: 5

Thanks all! Great advise. Much appreciated!

gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,487

Turning off GPS etc would also help conserve battery.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 13,090

gavin wrote:

Turning off GPS etc would also help conserve battery.

That's an excellent point.

If you do need GPS, you can fine tune how often the camera updates location.  You can pick a variety of intervals from every second to every 5 minutes.

More frequent updates use more battery, but provide more accurate location if you are moving.

If you need GPS, you can also save battery life by using GPS mode 2.  Unlike mode 1, this turns off GPS when the camera is manually switched off.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +16 more
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,843

EAV ATL wrote:

Craig, potentially a lot! Especially if I'm shooting video. Like you, I'm a pro. Editorial and advertising though, not photojournalism. But as you probably know, can also easily shoot 5K images in a day if I'm shooting lifestyle with a client who wants a lot of content and options, though this is a personal trip and shooting more for my portfolio.

I've tended to steer away from 3rd party batteries, but those RAVPower batteries are a good deal and the company certainly looks like they specialize in batteries, not some side market for them. Saw your post on Amazon too. Assume you still feel good about them? If I can buy 4 of them for the price of one Canon, that might be the best way to get me through.

I don't shoot much video, so I'm a poor source for video longevity information. That said, I've been entirely satisfied with the RAVPower batteries in my 5D IV bodies for still photography. In fact, the new ones seem a bit better than the OM batteries I used initially, but that's just a WAG. I think four spares would be good solution to your needs. Otherwise you'll need some charging solution involving solar and power storage.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 11-24mm F4L +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads