Consider switching to Z5 + 2 prime lenes combo

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
goshigoo Contributing Member • Posts: 918
Consider switching to Z5 + 2 prime lenes combo

I know Z5 is not yet released....
I have been waiting to get my first FF mirrorless for quite some time; waiting for a reasonable priced camera / system

I liked Z6/7 ergonmic - it is very responsive; but I don't like the fact that it only comes with a single XQD slot...
On the other than, I don't know why A73 is slow when performing playback / menu operations but Nikon's body is better than A73 for me

It looks like both Nikon and Canon are releasing new mid range FF Mirrorless this month

With the rumored Z5 spec and pricing; it seems that the following combos might be best for me

• Z5 + 35 f/1.8 S + 85 f/1.8 S
  • Sony A73 + FE 35 f/1.8 + FE 85 f/1.8

Does anyone has any idea on the performance of the 35 and 85mm Z lenses?

I heard AF is not as good as Sony's and they seem heavier than the Sony's one (but probably higher IQ)

Thanks

Richard B99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,834
Re: Consider switching to Z5 + 2 prime lenes combo

goshigoo wrote:

I know Z5 is not yet released....
I have been waiting to get my first FF mirrorless for quite some time; waiting for a reasonable priced camera / system

I liked Z6/7 ergonmic - it is very responsive; but I don't like the fact that it only comes with a single XQD slot...
On the other than, I don't know why A73 is slow when performing playback / menu operations but Nikon's body is better than A73 for me

It looks like both Nikon and Canon are releasing new mid range FF Mirrorless this month

With the rumored Z5 spec and pricing; it seems that the following combos might be best for me

• Z5 + 35 f/1.8 S + 85 f/1.8 S
  • Sony A73 + FE 35 f/1.8 + FE 85 f/1.8

Does anyone has any idea on the performance of the 35 and 85mm Z lenses?

I heard AF is not as good as Sony's and they seem heavier than the Sony's one (but probably higher IQ)

Thanks

What are you prepared to give up to acquire the speculated 2 SD slots.  Because you will certainly be sacrificing other features on a Z5?

OP goshigoo Contributing Member • Posts: 918
  • The Z5 will have the same EVF as the Z6
  • No top panel LCD
  • Dual SD UHS-II memory card slots
  • 24MP full-frame sensor (not sure BSI or not)
  • IBIS
  • Magnesium alloy camera body
  • 1m dots LCD screen resolution
  • New battery: Nikon EN-EL15c (already registered online)
  • USB-C camera powering, not just charging
  • Same AF system as in the Z6
  • 1.7x video crop in 4k, no SloMo option
  • 6fps burst 

Sounds like Z5 has slower FPS (good enough for me), no top LCD (A73 is also missing), lower LCD resolution

but the rumored price is around 1500 USD; which is pretty impressive!

goshigoo wrote:

• The Z5 will have the same EVF as the Z6
  • No top panel LCD
  • Dual SD UHS-II memory card slots
  • 24MP full-frame sensor (not sure BSI or not)
  • IBIS
  • Magnesium alloy camera body
  • 1m dots LCD screen resolution
  • New battery: Nikon EN-EL15c (already registered online)
  • USB-C camera powering, not just charging
  • Same AF system as in the Z6
  • 1.7x video crop in 4k, no SloMo option
  • 6fps burst

Sounds like Z5 has slower FPS (good enough for me), no top LCD (A73 is also missing), lower LCD resolution

but the rumored price is around 1500 USD; which is pretty impressive!

Yes, that’s the list from Nikon Rumours and they freely admit it’s a composite list from several sources that has no promise of being fully accurate.  Nikon has said nothing.  What if it has no IBIS or a lesser or no EVF or a plastic body or the Z50 AF?  Where are your red lines?  Just wondering how much you really value twin SD slots over the other features.

After all the single XQD whinging that been put on the web since the announcement of the Z’s, I can’t actually recall anyone here reporting a serious problem being experienced from that architecture or indeed from using XQDs in the DSLR range for 5 years or so. Let alone there being a trend that suggests it was the wrong approach.  You might have thought we would have seen something by now.  Perhaps?

baggy1 Regular Member • Posts: 258

The £230 for a decent sized XQD card might also have something to do with it.Get a few of them and the expense soon mounts up.

Nick_Andrews Regular Member • Posts: 116

Would be pretty cool if Z5 launches with a 24-105 f4... that combo would hit the "sweet spot" for many folks (including myself). Pair that with a 50mm 1.8S and you're good to go.

No top LCD would be pretty annoying, though -- I'm constantly checking mine on my DSLR.

baggy1 wrote:

The £230 for a decent sized XQD card might also have something to do with it.Get a few of them and the expense soon mounts up.

Though the fast UHS II cards are not massively cheaper than XQD and the XQD is still faster. If you don’t compare like for near like performance then sure, slowerUHS I cards are substantially cheaper.  Plus of course, folks who feel they need 2 SD cards because they can’t be relied on end up buying twice as many SD cards as XQD cards too.  The expense soon adds up

Less performance in the camera can of course allow use of lower performance cards.  You don’t see existing Z’s take any time to clear their shooting buffers even with large high FPS pics. That rarely gets a mention but try it with other brands using UHS I SD and it can take a painfully long time.  Not to mention that your photo(s) data are particularly vulnerable while it is waiting in the cameras volatile buffer!

Wezre Contributing Member • Posts: 737

Nick_Andrews wrote:

Would be pretty cool if Z5 launches with a 24-105 f4... that combo would hit the "sweet spot" for many folks (including myself). Pair that with a 50mm 1.8S and you're good to go.

No top LCD would be pretty annoying, though -- I'm constantly checking mine on my DSLR.

That’s basically what I’ve been waiting for - a less expensive Z FF camera and the 24-105 that’s on the roadmap. I am hesitant to buy the 24-70 f/4 knowing that I ultimately want the 24-105. The rumored spec list would be pretty much perfect for me. I’m guessing though that the Z5 may be offered in a kit with the 24-200.

Wezre's gear list:Wezre's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads