Help shooting film indoors with daylight balances film

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Leo48 Junior Member • Posts: 48
Help shooting film indoors with daylight balances film

Hi film friends!

I need some advice.

I shoot film (usually Portra) using a big old 4x5 camera. For a particular project I am working on, I want to use the available indoor lighting in an old pub to take a series of formal portraits. There will be no daylight and I don't want to use flash.

The goal is to retain the look of the available incandescent lighting - I like its warm feel. I want the image to look true of the scene without introducing flash.

How will this scene likely behave with daylight balanced film?

Is there anything I can do (filters?) to retain the integrity of the scene using daylight-balanced film without massive colour casts?

Leo48's gear list:Leo48's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +2 more
Overrank Contributing Member • Posts: 610
Re: Help shooting film indoors with daylight balances film

Leo48 wrote:

Hi film friends!

I need some advice.

I shoot film (usually Portra) using a big old 4x5 camera. For a particular project I am working on, I want to use the available indoor lighting in an old pub to take a series of formal portraits. There will be no daylight and I don't want to use flash.

The goal is to retain the look of the available incandescent lighting - I like its warm feel. I want the image to look true of the scene without introducing flash.

Is there anything I can do (filters?) to retain the integrity of the scene using daylight-balanced film without massive colour casts?

The normal advice would be to use something like a 82a cooling (blue) filter to correct for using the daylight film inside.  
If you want a hybrid solution you could include a grey card or two in one shot and then work out the colour temperature and correct for it in Photoshop

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 26,711

Lee do some filters which will do what you want, which is a partial correction from Tungsten to Daylight.

https://www.leefilters.com/lighting/technical-list.html

Probably the 202 or 203.

Top right on the page there is a Contact Support link, You could explain your problem to them and see what they recommend. It would be good to visit the location first and use your digital camera (or your phone) to measure the color temperature.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
cdembrey
cdembrey Contributing Member • Posts: 628

Leo48 wrote:

The Color Temperature of the pubs lighting will be somewhere between 2700Kelvin and 2900Kelvin.

A Full CTB (color temperature blue) will convert 3200 Kelvin to 5600 Kelvin. Tiffen states their 80A & 80B blue lens filters result in a 2 stop light loss. Can you live with the light loss?

Check with a Motion Picture Rental House for addition info and filter rentals. Working with tungsten light is a lot harder than using flash.

Be sure to let us know how this turns out.

-- hide signature --

The road is long - Life is short - Drive safe.

cdembrey's gear list:cdembrey's gear list
Canon EOS 40D +2 more
OP Leo48 Junior Member • Posts: 48

Thank you kindly, very helpful

Leo48's gear list:Leo48's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +2 more
JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,191

You seem emphatic that you don't want flash, but I'm not clear how you're going to get decent exposure times without subject movement from the context you've described?

Might you be able to get some test shots with flash on digital, and then assess whether you can get the look you want in post?

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
Overrank Contributing Member • Posts: 610

JohnnyLuddite wrote:

You seem emphatic that you don't want flash, but I'm not clear how you're going to get decent exposure times without subject movement from the context you've described?

Might you be able to get some test shots with flash on digital, and then assess whether you can get the look you want in post?

I had wondered that - hiding small flashguns behind/within the room  lights you could even get the same lighting effects. Obviously easier if you have wall lights or uplighters.

Tomm111 Contributing Member • Posts: 715

Hopefully Portra 400. You can add the 80A filter, but it takes 2 stops as everyone has said. You can use flash, I would suggest one studio flash into an umbrella and a second head for the background, reflectors where useful. Since you are photographing people, that is is the best suggestion I have, if it moves use flash. You can also forget the filter. But you could also get LED panels with diffusers to augment the existing light, soften it too. Then you still have the filter and long exposures. Where's Polaroid when you need them? That is how I used to test lighting.

Another suggestion, switch to black and white.

Tell us what you end up doing

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D300 Leica CL Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH +12 more
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 58,311

Tomm111 wrote:

Hopefully Portra 400. You can add the 80A filter, but it takes 2 stops as everyone has said. You can use flash, I would suggest one studio flash into an umbrella and a second head for the background, reflectors where useful. Since you are photographing people, that is is the best suggestion I have, if it moves use flash. You can also forget the filter. But you could also get LED panels with diffusers to augment the existing light, soften it too. Then you still have the filter and long exposures. Where's Polaroid when you need them? That is how I used to test lighting.

Use a digital camera to test lighting.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Tomm111 Contributing Member • Posts: 715

mamallama wrote:

Tomm111 wrote:

Use a digital camera to test lighting.

Well that was obvious, guess I was in film mode.:-)

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D300 Leica CL Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads