Life with 1Dx MKII

Started 2 months ago | User reviews
Sports Shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,420
Life with 1Dx MKII

I got the camera in March 2019 and have been using it since as my main body for shooting sports; soccer ( league and champions league) , pro-rugby etc.

I mean, wow!! AF tracking fantastic, usability excellent, menu's easy to navigate, build like a tank, feels very comfortable to the hand ( even better than the 1D MKIV ) etc. Locking and tracking subjects is excellent and high ISO performance is so good that I shoot at 6400 ISO without hesitation.

I want to stay for a moment on the high ISO performance of the 1Dx MKII. I am in Athens at the moment and due to travel luggage restrictions etc I decided to take with me the 100-400 MKII and leave home in Ireland the 400/2.8 MKI and 70-200/2.8 MKII. I can shoot evening football matches with this combo 1Dx MKII & 100-400 at 6400 'all night long' with very little noise. For my own personal needs the ideal combo is the 1Dx MKII and 400/4 DO MKII, which I plan to buy in the post CV19 time ( 1 year or so).

My only gripe of the 1Dx MKII is battery life and in compatisson to the 1Dx MKIII is 'average'. Also using the 100-400 gives not DoF than I would like but ...you can't have is all.

Overall, a brilliant camera that I will use for years to come

-- hide signature --

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer,”—Ansel Adams

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon 6D Mark II +15 more
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
20 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Feb 2, 2016
Sports Shooter's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dhodson Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Life with 1Dx MKII

you must shoot a lot of photos or video.  I dont do video but ive never come close to draining the battery at any one event.

OP Sports Shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,420
Re: Life with 1Dx MKII

dhodson wrote:

you must shoot a lot of photos or video. I dont do video but ive never come close to draining the battery at any one event.

Never do video ! Only photos.

how many frames do you get from a full battery?

-- hide signature --

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer,”—Ansel Adams

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon 6D Mark II +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads