What focal length do you wish you could natively use?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions
John Keiffer Junior Member • Posts: 36
What focal length do you wish you could natively use?

Just wanted to hear what people thought about this. Adapting lenses is cool, but adds to the size and weight. Some people won't care, I think I would care. What FL do people wish existed for their Fuji x mount cameras?

I would like a faster 27mm (40eq) for example. Also maybe a fast 105mm equiv... F2 would be okay to keep the weight and size down.

-- hide signature --

John

Murdoko
Murdoko Regular Member • Posts: 234
Re: What focal length do you wish you could natively use?

John Keiffer wrote:

Just wanted to hear what people thought about this. Adapting lenses is cool, but adds to the size and weight. Some people won't care, I think I would care. What FL do people wish existed for their Fuji x mount cameras?

I would like a faster 27mm (40eq) for example. Also maybe a fast 105mm equiv... F2 would be okay to keep the weight and size down.

Yep, I agree on the 105 equivalent. Samyang pulled off a small 75mm 1.8 for Sony FE. I wouldn't mind an XF 70mm f2 Fujicron.

Murdoko's gear list:Murdoko's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Sony a7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 XF 90mm +7 more
JayPhizzt Senior Member • Posts: 1,492

I would love to see that Fuji 10mm F2 lens that was in some poll a while back. If it had top-notch IQ, minimal distortion and wasn't too heavy I'd get one in a heart beat.

JayPhizzt's gear list:JayPhizzt's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
norjens
norjens Regular Member • Posts: 323

Well you're not alone; Those wishes have come up a lot, and are the ones I want as well.

10mm is another popular request, although my interest has waned. I'm not too hopeful we'll see them any time soon though, so am planning on the assumption that I won't get them.

It's been a looooong time since the last proper roadmap. I suspect the designs are long planned, but they're assessing the market for how much they should invest.

Remember: Adding lenses to the lineup isn't just a one-off development cost. It adds running logistics cost throughout the whole supply chain, as the number of parts goes up and more lenses sit around in storage and shelves, holding up capital. In production logistics we use a rule of thumb that the cost of storage is ~20% of the value of all the items in it, per year. Add transport, redoing info/marketing materials, adding more lenses to firmware support requirements, etc... Variety costs money.

LarsRost Contributing Member • Posts: 565

A 500mm or 600mm F5.6

LarsRost's gear list:LarsRost's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
John Gellings
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 6,496

I would love a 30mm (45mm) f2 and a 39mm (58mm) 1.2... and also a 23-56mm 2.8 zoom.

-- hide signature --

https://www.johngellings.com
Instagram = @johngellings0 and @nycrandomjg

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 +7 more
Jth1968 Regular Member • Posts: 196

I'd love a good XF 135mm prime. I'd be happy with a XF 135mm f/2.8 WR lens, to keep costs and size reasonable.

enigmatico Regular Member • Posts: 166

I think Fuji have a very good prime lens line up a which is the main reason I started using Fuji cameras. 
I agree with you about a faster 27mm, but I have the Kamlan 28/1.4 which is a good lens. It’s manual focus but that doesn’t bother me; I prefer it a lot of the time. 
Before Fuji introduce new focal lengths, I’d like to see some of their older lenses being replaced with Mkii WR versions. (Needless to say these upgrades should also have faster, quieter AF).

jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,002

105mm. I want a 70 1.4 designed for portraits, so it's similar to the Nikon 105 F2 DC.

I just use the viltrox 85 1.8 for now instead.

I've considered getting a FF camera just for that focal length but not sure if I want to mix systems again, b/c I don't think my Godox flashes would work on Canon/Nikon.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +2 more
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 2,046

A 12mm f/2 (10mm is too wide) with nice sunstars and excellent flare resistance, a 70mm f1.4 would be sweet, but an 18 or 19mm f/1.4 would be at the top of my wish list,

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
norjens
norjens Regular Member • Posts: 323
Innovative zooms

What I would really like to see is some zooms with focal ranges you don't see everywhere else, and which really target some specific, common user groups.

1: 23-60mm f/2
Covering the 35mm-90mm equivalent focal lengths, it would be ideal for shooting events where the 35mm - 85mm combination is popular.
f/2 should be doable without getting too big thanks to the modest zoom ratio of just 2.5:1. It covers all the most popular focal lengths for photographing people in motion, so this is the perfect range for Fuji to fulfill the wishes of those who want an f/2 zoom. ~Equivalent to their highly praised GF 45-100mm.

2: 12-35mm f/4
Who actually wants to lug around a 'holy trinity' of three big zooms up a mountain for landscape photography? Combine this with the 55-200mm or similar, and you have the vast majority of the range in just two lenses. One on the camera and one at your side, no backpack excavation required.

jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,002

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

A 12mm f/2 (10mm is too wide) with nice sunstars and excellent flare resistance, a 70mm f1.4 would be sweet, but an 18 or 19mm f/1.4 would be at the top of my wish list,

Isn't the Zeiss 12 2.8 kind of filling that role? It has AF and people still use it for Astro. They collaborated with Fuji I think for that.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +2 more
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 2,046

jjz2 wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

Isn't the Zeiss 12 2.8 kind of filling that role? It has AF and people still use it for Astro. They collaborated with Fuji I think for that.

Optically it’s only fair, really no better than the Samyang/Rok 12 and way overpriced. And f/2.8 isn’t f/2.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
Fuji Maine Contributing Member • Posts: 860

A preferably third party 150-600 like my sigma but a hair smaller with it not being made for full frame.

Cubits Regular Member • Posts: 153

I'm keen to see how that 70-300 goes, hopefully it comes in at significantly less than the 100-400 (which i will justify some day!).

But i'm also keen to see a fuji ultrawide prime. The samyangs and laowas are fine, but if fuji would apply their ability to crush flare, LOCA, and COMA to a consistently-built lens in that range i would find the money quickly!

But again it better cost a bunch less than the 8-16! That's another one i can't quite swing.

coldwell Regular Member • Posts: 197
Re: Innovative zooms

norjens wrote:

What I would really like to see is some zooms with focal ranges you don't see everywhere else, and which really target some specific, common user groups.

Covering the 35mm-90mm equivalent focal lengths, it would be ideal for shooting events where the 35mm - 85mm combination is popular.
f/2 should be doable without getting too big thanks to the modest zoom ratio of just 2.5:1. It covers all the most popular focal lengths for photographing people in motion, so this is the perfect range for Fuji to fulfill the wishes of those who want an f/2 zoom. ~Equivalent to their highly praised GF 45-100mm.

2: 12-35mm f/4
Who actually wants to lug around a 'holy trinity' of three big zooms up a mountain for landscape photography? Combine this with the 55-200mm or similar, and you have the vast majority of the range in just two lenses. One on the camera and one at your side, no backpack excavation required.

I'd love those two options. I've wondered on this forum before how manufacturers choose their FL....they certainly don't get creative in their choices!

I'm guessing if they build a couple lenses that fit the majority of needs for a photographer...they wouldn't sell many of their other lenses tho!? "always keep them wanting"

coldwell's gear list:coldwell's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Foxjet Contributing Member • Posts: 652

I would like a long 2.8 macro lens in the 150-180 range for more working distance when shooting dragonflies and butterflies, etc. The Sigma 150 2.8 macro as an example.

Foxjet's gear list:Foxjet's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3
OP John Keiffer Junior Member • Posts: 36

Foxjet wrote:

I would like a long 2.8 macro lens in the 150-180 range for more working distance when shooting dragonflies and butterflies, etc. The Sigma 150 2.8 macro as an example.

Fuji has opened up their lens mount to other 3rd party companies right? Maybe Sigma will come through on that for you.

-- hide signature --

John

Re: Innovative zooms

norjens wrote:

I'd like this option if it wasn't too heavy, large, or pricey. Great usable range for my needs for sure.

-- hide signature --

John

Murdoko wrote:

Yep, I agree on the 105 equivalent. Samyang pulled off a small 75mm 1.8 for Sony FE. I wouldn't mind an XF 70mm f2 Fujicron.

Yes, that would be cool. In the meantime, I'll be thinking about maybe the 50 f/2 or the 60 f/2.4...

-- hide signature --

John

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads