When it comes down to it what Really is the difference between Olympus and Panasonic

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions
northlondon43
northlondon43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,613
When it comes down to it what Really is the difference between Olympus and Panasonic

After much meditation I've come to the conclusion that Olympus begins with an O and Panasonic with a P. There is nothing between them.

Namaste. dhyana, chan

-- hide signature --

Adrian
An amateur, atheist, alliterationist

northlondon43's gear list:northlondon43's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
sbu Regular Member • Posts: 315
Re: When it comes down to it what Really is the difference between Olympus and Panasonic

northlondon43 wrote:

... I've come to the conclusion that Olympus begins with an O and Panasonic with a P. ...

Namaste. dhyana, chan

Excellent reasoning.

sbu's gear list:sbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Bhima78 Senior Member • Posts: 2,850
Re: When it comes down to it what Really is the difference between Olympus and Panasonic

northlondon43 wrote:

After much meditation I've come to the conclusion that Olympus begins with an O and Panasonic with a P. There is nothing between them.

Namaste. dhyana, chan

At this point? The biggest difference between them:

Panny shoots better video quality

Panny has faster S-AF

Oly has better video AF (on bodies with Phase-Detect AF)

Oly has better C-AF for stills on their bodies with Phase-Detect AF

Oly has slightly better IBIS, but really--its already VERY good on modern Panny bodies.

EVERYTHING else is purely ergo/cosmetic.

Bhima78's gear list:Bhima78's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +12 more
northlondon43
OP northlondon43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,613

Bhima78 wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

Namaste. dhyana, chan

Panny has faster S-AF

Oly has slightly better IBIS, but really--its already VERY good on modern Panny bodies.

oh please, I posted an attempt at humour absolutely not wanting the same old cr@p about which brand is better. 😔

-- hide signature --

Adrian

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more

northlondon43 wrote:

Bhima78 wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

Namaste. dhyana, chan

Panny has faster S-AF

oh please, I posted an attempt at humour absolutely not wanting the same old cr@p about which brand is better. 😔

I didn't say any one brand was better. I got your joke, but your joke is funnier to me because the differences are pretty slight as it is, and really depends only on what your focus is.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +12 more
northlondon43

Bhima78 wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

Bhima78 wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

Namaste. dhyana, chan

Panny has faster S-AF

I didn't say any one brand was better. I got your joke, but your joke is funnier to me because the differences are pretty slight as it is, and really depends only on what your focus is.

ok, fair enough, but I was just being daft, not expecting a comparison comment

-- hide signature --

Adrian

Garry Schaefer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,001
But, but ...

Oly has a much better menu system.

-- hide signature --

Garry

Garry Schaefer's gear list:Garry Schaefer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
thinkinginimages
thinkinginimages Senior Member • Posts: 1,014

northlondon43 wrote:

Namaste. dhyana, chan

Panasonic cameras have shorter names.

The same could be said for Canon and Nikon. What's the difference?

thinkinginimages's gear list:thinkinginimages's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-TS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
As someone that has used both.

Garry Schaefer wrote:

I agree.

I liked the super control menu on my EM10. I miss it on all my panasonic cameras. Still, you get used to what you use.

yonsito Regular Member • Posts: 181
styling

Used to be that Olympus was for the cool kids, with their retro styling and what not. Panasonic, on the other hand, would make perfectly adequate photographic electrical appliances.

Nowadays, one of them manufactures cameras.

yonsito's gear list:yonsito's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
TRIODEROB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,266
Re: But, but ...

Garry Schaefer wrote:

extremely more intuitive than Panasonics

northlondon43

OK you lot. You've totally missed the point of this thread. It was meant to be humorous with the hope of a bit of fun, but surprise surprise it's been hijacked by the usual stuff

Tom if you see this please delete the thread. I'll otherwise PM you in my morning 😊

-- hide signature --

Adrian

Tim Reidy Productions
Tim Reidy Productions Veteran Member • Posts: 3,888
the difference between Olympus and Panasonic

they zoom different

the menus are different, they don't always cooperate with each other.

Olympus until recently did not have 4k

I have no problem with what you use, I use lumix bodies, but I do have a mix of lenses.

I even got some OM and 4/3 lenses from olympus.

Tim Reidy Productions's gear list:Tim Reidy Productions's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 +1 more
Namur Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: the difference between Olympus and Panasonic

I think difference is that most Pany mFT lenses sell w hood included......just sayin'

Namur

Namur's gear list:Namur's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-520 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +19 more
Tim Reidy Productions
Tim Reidy Productions Veteran Member • Posts: 3,888
Re: the difference between Olympus and Panasonic

that is why real estate photographers choose Olympus, because they already have the hood.

Tim Reidy Productions's gear list:Tim Reidy Productions's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 +1 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 34,294
Just what did you truly expect?

northlondon43 wrote:

ok, fair enough, but I was just being daft, not expecting a comparison comment

Indeed, drop crumbs on the ground and the pigeons attack. It's inevitable.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +5 more
motormatic Regular Member • Posts: 109

The zoom rings turn in different directions.

Carol T Contributing Member • Posts: 989
Re: As someone that has used both.

Bhima78 wrote:

Garry Schaefer wrote:

I agree.

I liked the super control menu on my EM10. I miss it on all my panasonic cameras. Still, you get used to what you use.

My G9 has something like that, that holds up to I think ten items with selections within each. Do your cameras not have that?

I use that menu on my old E-M1, but a good bit of it is stuff I don't use, and on my model at least (the original, may be different on MkII or MkIII), you cannot customize it. At least it works with touch, though, unlike the main menu.

Wildalaskaken
Wildalaskaken Senior Member • Posts: 1,194

Panasonic cameras are made by a viable company.

Wildalaskaken's gear list:Wildalaskaken's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Panasonic 45-200mm F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 +1 more
jalywol
jalywol Forum Pro • Posts: 10,230
Re: But, but ...

Garry Schaefer wrote:

Surely you jest.

It is the most byzantine, complicated, UI I have used in recent memory.

Panasonic is lovely, easy to navigate, and logical.

And, yes, I have owned both.  Have had three Oly cameras, actually, with the last being the EM1.  Got so frustrated with its UI after that after 6 months arguing with it, I sold it and vowed never to get another one.  Panasonic only for me after that.

-J

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads