Show Your Snaps...June 29, 2020

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Rocket13 Senior Member • Posts: 3,067
Re: Hot humid and Hazy

Went out today and results were not great. I got a shot of a cormorant flying low across the water but the haze was so bad the shots werent worth wasting my time on trying to process. I did get a Heron cooling itself off and cheated on the purple martins catching them relaxing at home.

Rocket13's gear list:Rocket13's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel T6 Canon EOS 90D
OP Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 38,573
Re: SOOC (2010)

Have fun with the post processing.  Seeing the Statue of Liberty I wondered when they renovated it.  I didn't realize that that was over 30 years ago.

My favorite photos are the heron.  I don't find them often away from the banks, looking for fish.  Sometimes I see them in trees, but not on a bare branch like that.

Re: Fun in the Water - Thanks

That's Cape Kiwanda just north of Lincoln City. There's a lot of sad stories about very young people falling to their death there.

Here's someone by a sign.  I don't know if I shared this one.  This is where a telephoto lens works perfectly because the background is blue sky.  There will be no distracting blurry elements.

Digirame wrote:

That's Cape Kiwanda just north of Lincoln City. There's a lot of sad stories about very young people falling to their death there.

Here's someone by a sign. I don't know if I shared this one. This is where a telephoto lens works perfectly because the background is blue sky. There will be no distracting blurry elements.

Nice capture, ignoring signs definitely kills a ton of people

cdmazoff
cdmazoff Senior Member • Posts: 2,826

Nice set Rocket!!!!

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdmazoff/
When I'm not playing birds, I'm shooting my accordion....or is it the other way around?

cdmazoff's gear list:cdmazoff's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II

Thanks.  Yes, you can read about the people falling to their deaths on the internet.  I won't cross those fences.  It's not worth it.

benjilafouine Veteran Member • Posts: 3,121
Re: Blast from the past (part 3)

Happy Canada Day!

Some birds and critters from my early dslr years.

Turtle in a Montreal nature park.

What critter is this?

Bird of prey (poor pigeon).

Finch.

And what is it? Common bird?

My first blue jay.

Mourning dove.

That’s all folks!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
There is always something to shoot/snap, you just have to know how to do it and have the right gear.
Benji

benjilafouine's gear list:benjilafouine's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 40D +12 more

Happy Canada Day to you as well, and its my wife and I's 27th anniversary as well. She must be crazy is all I can say lol.

Very nice old set.

Re:Heron in the heat

First you scratch, then you shade your eyes from the blistering sun, then you beg the heavens for a cool breeze, then you spread your wings and enjoy the breeze granted you.

Rocket13 wrote:

Happy Canada Day to you as well, and its my wife and I's 27th anniversary as well. She must be crazy is all I can say lol.

Very nice old set.

Ha ha ha. We’re going on 23 ourselves in September but we married in our thirties, were not able to have children. Superb day today. Québec’s summers can be fantastic. Dry and sunny with some thunderstorms once in a while. Enjoy it while it lasts!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
There is always something to shoot/snap, you just have to know how to do it and have the right gear.
Benji

Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 40D +12 more
Re:Hazy Hot and humid

So it has been Hazy hot and humid with cloudless skies and blazing sun 97F and 98% humidity yesterday I tried some BIF over the lake and as you can imagine they werent worth sharing due to atmospheric distortion making them look grainy even at 100 iso.

A gentleman suggested spot metering to help fight it. I have of course used it on perched birds depending on lighting but never birds in flight so of course I had to test it and what do you know it worked pretty dang well even with visible haze in the air.

Hot but not humid yet, we’ll get it tomorrow. The end of a beautiful day.

My front yard.

Today Blue Jays started taking a bath in my new bird bath. I’ll be on the lookout for this. I put some new cold water every day.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Benji

Benji I love that shot,towards the top on my laptop it looks to almost have a very nice motion blur. I hope I am explaining what I am seeing well but the illusion makes the shot even more interesting in my opinion. Well done.

Rocket13 wrote:

Benji I love that shot,towards the top on my laptop it looks to almost have a very nice motion blur. I hope I am explaining what I am seeing well but the illusion makes the shot even more interesting in my opinion. Well done.

The computational photography algorithm of the iPhone 11 sometimes confuses leaves with sky facing the sun. I’ve experienced it a few times already. Should have taken the shot with Lightroom. Definitely not motion blur.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Benji

cdmazoff
Re:Heron in the heat

Wow... #2 knocked my socks off!!!! Way to go Rocket

-- hide signature --

When I'm not playing birds, I'm shooting my accordion....or is it the other way around?

cdmazoff
Canada Day Ospreys

My friend Nick came by and got me out!!!  Boy am I woozy!!!  Anyhoo: tried the "spot focus" function.. Not bad.

-- hide signature --

Re: Canada Day Ospreys

Show off, I seen one yesterday shame it was 100 yards away and in the haze.  I have been using spot focus even for BIF because I am crazy like that ,Today as you read I used spot metering, I am sure not good against the sky for BIF but it did help with the haze over the lake and that nice round circle made focusing a breeze lol

cdmazoff
Re: Canada Day Ospreys

Rocket13 wrote:

Show off, I seen one yesterday shame it was 100 yards away and in the haze. I have been using spot focus even for BIF because I am crazy like that ,Today as you read I used spot metering, I am sure not good against the sky for BIF but it did help with the haze over the lake and that nice round circle made focusing a breeze lol

Hi Rocket.. So... you used spot metering on those amazing herons!!!! It worked!!! I never used the spot focus before but we pulled out all the stops. I was sitting in the walker and using the monopod and really trying...  I have one more to post

-- hide signature --

cdmazoff
Osprey Portrait

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads