why do digital files colours looks so bad without post

Started 6 months ago | Questions
whosthatwhatsthat Forum Member • Posts: 84
why do digital files colours looks so bad without post

As a heads up, I know the title is going to cause a stir, please take it with a pinch of salt. Of course, many factors come into play.

My reason is I want to know what is that gives these images more of a high-end look, they're by Juergen Teller for W mag from January 2020.

Even the shot of Joaquin Phoenix indoors looks great, I believe its just natural light but I'm curious as to how it doesn't have that sort of washed or flat look that digital can produce indoors.

Are these images desaturated then in certain areas more colour contrast is brought in?

Please do not just say he can afford great post-production, yes we know that but I want to know how it's done and also any tips into creating shots like these when shooting to make images seem more high-end and luxurious.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
MOD Biggs23 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,903
Re: why do digital files colours looks so bad without post

whosthatwhatsthat wrote:

As a heads up, I know the title is going to cause a stir, please take it with a pinch of salt. Of course, many factors come into play.

My reason is I want to know what is that gives these images more of a high-end look, they're by Juergen Teller for W mag from January 2020.

Even the shot of Joaquin Phoenix indoors looks great, I believe its just natural light but I'm curious as to how it doesn't have that sort of washed or flat look that digital can produce indoors.

Are these images desaturated then in certain areas more colour contrast is brought in?

Please do not just say he can afford great post-production, yes we know that but I want to know how it's done and also any tips into creating shots like these when shooting to make images seem more high-end and luxurious.

I wouldn't call either of these images a 'high end look.' Closer to the other end.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. I'm just a regular poster unless explicitly stated otherwise in the body of the post.
https://500px.com/biggs23

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,119

The first thing to ask is are you using out of camera JPGs?  If not start using them, if you are try saving raw files to play with.

Those images (which I don't really care for) are well lit and well exposed which is an essential starting point.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
Mark_A
Mark_A Forum Pro • Posts: 16,076

whosthatwhatsthat wrote:

As a heads up, I know the title is going to cause a stir, please take it with a pinch of salt. Of course, many factors come into play.

Both of these images have large white areas and it appears the shots white balance is about right. Setting a correct white balance can help skin tones look right.

However you feeling the shots out of your camera don't look great suggests you could start looking at making adjustments. Most cameras allow tweaking of jpeg outputs, raws are normally only editable in post processing.

So you can adjust jpegs in camera, and raws in post, there are myriad ways you can arrive at the look you are seeking.

Mark_A

OP whosthatwhatsthat Forum Member • Posts: 84

In comparison to this, I'd say they are very high end

I am using CR2s

I see, so you think its more about white balance than say the post prod treatment here?

and do you think any modifiers were used.

How do you mean you can tweak the jpeg in camera?

Mark_A
Mark_A Forum Pro • Posts: 16,076

whosthatwhatsthat wrote:

I see, so you think its more about white balance than say the post prod treatment here?

White balance can adjust other colours back into line yes ..

and do you think any modifiers were used.

How do you mean you can tweak the jpeg in camera?

I don't know about your camera but in mine I can adjust all sorts of variables as to how the camera will save its jpegs, things like tone, colour saturation, sharpness, on Fuji's I believe you can set your jpegs to simulate a film ..

Mark_A

Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 15,940
Questions

whosthatwhatsthat wrote:

I am using CR2s

How are you determining your white balance?

What raw processor are you using?

What camera profile are you using?

Do you have overexposed or heavily underexposed areas in your photos?

What kind of edits are you doing to your photos?

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +2 more
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 17,172

I see many better pictures than those two posted on these forums

-- hide signature --

Recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Contributing Member • Posts: 866

The two examples you posted are some of the ugliest shots I have ever seen. Horrendous. It's like asking why a car is worse than a horse while pointing to a rust bucket with one wheel.

MOD Biggs23 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,903

whosthatwhatsthat wrote:

In comparison to this, I'd say they are very high end

That's not a great image, but it's significantly better than the two original examples.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. I'm just a regular poster unless explicitly stated otherwise in the body of the post.
https://500px.com/biggs23

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more

Shoot jpgs then see what that does.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more

Nasty shot, she couldn't even be bothered to tuck her vest into her skirt.  Preparation is the key.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 221

whosthatwhatsthat wrote:

I am using CR2s

Of course those are flat with the default profile in most RAW converters.

That is the whole idea.

you must be joking.

TripleCoatedBokeh
TripleCoatedBokeh Contributing Member • Posts: 532

whosthatwhatsthat wrote:

These look like iphone shots.

TripleCoatedBokeh's gear list:TripleCoatedBokeh's gear list
Canon PowerShot A80 Sony a7 III Sony a6000 Canon EOS 10D Olympus E-520 +3 more
Rambow Contributing Member • Posts: 813
Because the photographer is sloppy?

whosthatwhatsthat wrote:

you must be joking.

No, i like the girl too.

About the first two images, nothing remarkable has been done to them. Probably exposure has been tweaked, contrast added etc. The usual stuff you do for commercial work. Having a good camera with a capable sensor and optics helps too(allows for better, easier editing of the resulting files).

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
Jimmy Simpleton Regular Member • Posts: 338

Some thoughts:

One reason for the "high end" look could be their restraint and subtlety. In way too many "pro" shots, we see obvious effects, such as retouching and the use of reflectors/beauty dishes (this is apparent in the image in your second post). To some, these are cheap parlor tricks (aka "contrived").

The other reason, which might follow from the first, is the authenticity they exude. The poses are mostly natural and the camera might not even be level in the 2nd. In an era of rampant fakery, authenticity -- or at least the semblance of it -- has an undeniable cachet.

I think that pro photography, like fashion styles, evolves over time. Perhaps these examples are part of a new trend?

jeffnles1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,598

I don’t don’t do portraits. I’m a wildlife and nature photographer. I find my best photos are darn close out of camera.  I may do some boosting of shadows or white balance correction and usually some cropping. My goal in post is to make the image look like it did in nature.  I don’t like over saturated images or ones that don’t look natural.

in your opening post the images look very natural.  I would be willing to wager they looked darn good right out of the camera.   Post processing can be the road to hell and go awry quickly.

jeffnles1's gear list:jeffnles1's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Tamron 18-400mm F3.5-6.3 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads