Support Olympus and buy a new camera.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 17,110
Aww that's ugly

jeffharris wrote:

The EM1X. No thanks! If I wanted a camera that large, I'd buy a D850. Oh, WAIT…

If Olympus released a TG-series camera with a M4/3 sensor I'd be all over it!

Gees. I've never really been into pretty vs ugly cameras, but in this case, the one of the right is darn ugly. Way out of proportion considering the sensor size. Think I'll stick to the smaller Oly bodies or Panasonic.

All the best Jeff, very interesting view.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

I can always justify a need, but I can never justify a want.
-
https://www.birdsinaction.com/

Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 16,649
Re: Support Olympus and buy a new camera.

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

Photo Pete wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Well we should all try to do that .... buy Olympus lenses or the E-M1II and III and the excellent E-M1X to support Olympus .

And comparing the size of a camera with a built-in vertical grip to one without a vertical grip is precisely the sort of misleading internet dialogue that has undermined the Olympus brand and contributed to the need to sell the imaging division.

it's quite misleading when you realise that Oly managed to make one of the largest mirrorless cameras?

I still try and fathom what’s wrong with the size. In the studio I always have my battery grip and 2 batteries as well as an external power supply attached to my em12 . Same when I bought the Sony FF the battery grip was the first accessory. Shooting portraits all day vertical grips are a necessity .

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM1mk2, Sony A7r2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1 em5mk2

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 26,604

Donald B wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

Photo Pete wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Well we should all try to do that .... buy Olympus lenses or the E-M1II and III and the excellent E-M1X to support Olympus .

And comparing the size of a camera with a built-in vertical grip to one without a vertical grip is precisely the sort of misleading internet dialogue that has undermined the Olympus brand and contributed to the need to sell the imaging division.

it's quite misleading when you realise that Oly managed to make one of the largest mirrorless cameras?

I still try and fathom what’s wrong with the size. In the studio I always have my battery grip and 2 batteries as well as an external power supply attached to my em12 . Same when I bought the Sony FF the battery grip was the first accessory. Shooting portraits all day vertical grips are a necessity .

Don

i have a camera with a built in grip, bought it because it was dirt cheap and not because of the built in grip

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 16,649

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

So would I as long as it had a evf That’s the problem. No one will release the ultimate compact .because that will collapse every camera company.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM1mk2, Sony A7r2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1 em5mk2

jeffharris
jeffharris Forum Pro • Posts: 10,178

Donald B wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

So would I as long as it had a evf That’s the problem. No one will release the ultimate compact .because that will collapse every camera company.

Some seem to be doing that perfectly well despite our help.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +33 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,633

If they release something I want I will buy it.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +40 more
j tokarz Contributing Member • Posts: 769

I think a lot of camera sales were held back due to peoples perception of the small sensor. I know that my em-1 will turn out pictures every bit as good as full frame the MAJORITY of times. I know that as i also have full frame gear. An awful lot of people are blinded by Full frame, witness dp review participants. Even with a bigger sensor i think its too late now. Just enjoy what you have. (still taking great pictures with my E1)

DjarumBlack Senior Member • Posts: 1,460

Make an Pen or Pen lite with all the features of the EM5 mk III without a VF and make it around 899 usd and I'd buy one.

absoluutbeginner
OP absoluutbeginner Regular Member • Posts: 446
Re: Even now

NCV wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

NCV wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

I still see those photographers standing .. 4 men in an luxury hotel 4WD in Tanzania with the total amount of around lets say $40000 -50000 on camera equipment and looking like pro Photographers ...and the moment there was a leopard or cheetah around on 100-200m they all went to the same side of the top canopy 4wd with the big bodies (both flesh and camera's ) .And with those large tele lenses they could not make one steady shot. You heard them shouting to each other to stay still . And me standing alone in a non hotel rental 4wd .. with a small E-M1X +E-M1II with small lenses ... and we meet under way and I showed my pictures and they where stunned ... about the pictures . That is the thing everyone forgets ... portability ..even with long lenses ...and yes with that "big" E-M1X. :-). The costs for them ? I think about 10000-15000 for the trip p/p for 5 days and for me 4000 for 2 weeks.

Even now when Olympus have regally shafted the M43 community, we continue to hear these stupid stories of how some complete oafs with expensive FF gear were made to look stupid by the wise guy with his M43 gear.

The Safari "aren't I so clever" story is a favourite old chestnut. How many times have we heard the many variations of this story.

Wildlife photography does not interest me much on the whole. But whilst I was in the Valle d'Aosta a couple of years ago I came across and was enchanted by a guy who made a book about the "Grande Paradiso" park.

This guy hauled Nikon FF gear up and down mountains to get these shots. Shots that most can only dream about. How come? How did he manage without a M43 camera?

There are intelligente people who use other systems too.

Just for the record my soon to be purchased hiking gear with Nikon FF weighs just a little bit more than my M43 kit.

Go and compare a Nikon Z7+24-200 with a EM1 with 12-100.

Olympus have great form in leaving their customers high and dry: OM, 4/3 and now M43.

I hope that your old lenses fit your new camera ?

I sold all my old M43 just in time to get a good trade in.

Well, I have a couple of Nikon lenses from 30 years ago that work perfectly on my Z7 via the FTZ adaptor. Nikon at least have never left their users in the sh*t .

How to OM lenses work on M43 via the official Olympus adaptor?

OM  lenses ? I stepped in m4/3 with GH1 , later switched used the perfect E-M5 for mountaineering/travel  and bought later an E-M10 (wildlife backup) a 2nd hand E-M1  , a year later E-M1II for Kanchenjunga trip 5500m (compact with 300mmf4) and because i like wildlife stepped over to the X what was brilliant ... all lenses are pro and live it ... light , compact to travel good quality , dustproof .  Waiting for the 150-400mm...

Ruairi
Ruairi Contributing Member • Posts: 966
Schoolbus in the driveway + vertical grips have mass

jwilliams wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Hi Jeff ..depends what using it for ! If you want to go many times to Africa and have to fly portability is great thanks to the lenses .

You can always crop a shot with the Nikon. Every FF cameras has a m43 size sensor area available. An APSC one too! And everything in between as a bonus!

The body is not much bigger than the E-m1 II +hold . I have E-M1X and E-M1II and Pen-F in the bag + 300mm +40-150mm + 3 tele converters + 7-14mm all pro and its fits with all stuff into one bag to take into the cabin .Try that with any other .... except Pana ..and I am very pleased with the result ! I am not a pro and do it for a hobby ..but a nice kit for the price.

You apply that logic to your automotive purchases too?

Run a schoolbus as your daily driver, you don't have to use all the seats, but for that time you do need to seat 63 people, you're ready.

Also, that above comparison doesn't work for me. Too little overlap in use between the models selected.

Dr Evil and Mini Me.

-- hide signature --
 Ruairi's gear list:Ruairi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 III Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +14 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Re: Schoolbus in the driveway + vertical grips have mass

Ruairi wrote:

jwilliams wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Hi Jeff ..depends what using it for ! If you want to go many times to Africa and have to fly portability is great thanks to the lenses .

You can always crop a shot with the Nikon. Every FF cameras has a m43 size sensor area available. An APSC one too! And everything in between as a bonus!

The body is not much bigger than the E-m1 II +hold . I have E-M1X and E-M1II and Pen-F in the bag + 300mm +40-150mm + 3 tele converters + 7-14mm all pro and its fits with all stuff into one bag to take into the cabin .Try that with any other .... except Pana ..and I am very pleased with the result ! I am not a pro and do it for a hobby ..but a nice kit for the price.

Run a schoolbus as your daily driver, you don't have to use all the seats, but for that time you do need to seat 63 people, you're ready.

Also, that above comparison doesn't work for me. Too little overlap in use between the models selected.

Dr Evil and Mini Me.

the proportions on the Olympus does give it quite a fugly look, the Nikon is more balanced design wise but still looks a pig

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
peppermonkey Veteran Member • Posts: 5,147
A TG camera with a M43 sensor?

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

I'm in! Never was much of a fan of the TG series but stick a M43 sensor in it? I'll definitely be interested. Guess I'll have to wait for Panasonic to do so now. Actually, have more faith for Panasonic to do it even if Olympus was still around.

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Ricohflex VII, Bessa R, Bessa L, Zorky 4, Fed 2, Konica Big Mini, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Sony RX100 II Sigma DP2 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
Ruairi
Ruairi Contributing Member • Posts: 966

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

Ruairi wrote:

jwilliams wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Dr Evil and Mini Me.

the proportions on the Olympus does give it quite a fugly look, the Nikon is more balanced design wise but still looks a pig

I like the way both handle, but agree.  No Red Dot awards for that pair, unlike the DF and Pen F.

-- hide signature --
 Ruairi's gear list:Ruairi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 III Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +14 more
Wu Jiaqiu

Ruairi wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

Ruairi wrote:

jwilliams wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Dr Evil and Mini Me.

I like the way both handle, but agree. No Red Dot awards for that pair, unlike the DF and Pen F.

D5 is still so similar to my ancient D2xs still, good design

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

Jan Krux Regular Member • Posts: 477

I also don't think that "supporting" now does make any sense .

But I will stay with the gear I have, a fantastic E-m1MkII, E-M1 and a couple of lenses.

The cameras and lenses will not stop to work the minute Oly is selling the C-Devision. So I will try to buy some lenses and maybe "upgrade" a body too as long I will get the "original" . I never used warranty and that kind of stuff, so I am not worried. The cameras are so fantastic (for me) and the lenses so well built, that I will be fine for the next couple of years.

As I am 64 soon I don't think I will need something else afterwards anyway ...

cheers, Jan

Jan Krux's gear list:Jan Krux's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 +8 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Forum Pro • Posts: 10,178
Re: A TG camera with a M43 sensor?

peppermonkey wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

I'm in! Never was much of a fan of the TG series but stick a M43 sensor in it? I'll definitely be interested. Guess I'll have to wait for Panasonic to do so now. Actually, have more faith for Panasonic to do it even if Olympus was still around.

The TG-5 is great! I go snorkeling a couple times a year and it's perfect for that.

Curaçao Jan 2019

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +33 more
HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 5,967
I plan to!

My next anticipated gear purchases would be the 100-400 and 150-400 Pro. Yes, both of them.

I have no problems buying them based on information available now. I, of course, want to see their features/specs and legitimate reviews. I've not bought any gear for a while so the cost is not a big deterrent.

As for a Panasonic telephoto zoom (100-400) been there, tried that many times. I'm not about to try again knowing the Panny warranty and repair policies, and the fact that this lens is now four years old. Nor would I buy a used version given the poor quality control.

If Oly never releases the anticipated zooms then I'll still be able to get great pictures with my other lenses, including the Sigma 150-600 and Oly 75-300.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +2 more
peppermonkey Veteran Member • Posts: 5,147
Whoa!

Jan Krux wrote:

I also don't think that "supporting" now does make any sense .

But I will stay with the gear I have, a fantastic E-m1MkII, E-M1 and a couple of lenses.

The cameras and lenses will not stop to work the minute Oly is selling the C-Devision. So I will try to buy some lenses and maybe "upgrade" a body too as long I will get the "original" . I never used warranty and that kind of stuff, so I am not worried. The cameras are so fantastic (for me) and the lenses so well built, that I will be fine for the next couple of years.

As I am 64 soon I don't think I will need something else afterwards anyway ...

cheers, Jan

What? You still have decades at the very least! You can't be done with wanting new equipment

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Ricohflex VII, Bessa R, Bessa L, Zorky 4, Fed 2, Konica Big Mini, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Sony RX100 II Sigma DP2 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,633
Jan Krux - I Totally Agree

I am 3 years older and have the same view. I own the E-M1X and E-M1.3 and all the Pro and Premium lenses. My ki is basically complete. It would take me 10 years to built up a complete kit with another brand.

The camera technology is not really improving much at this time. Just slow evolutionary improvements. The camera industry on in turmoil with sales being reduced my competition of smartphones, the pandemic, and current models being good enough.

So I see myself just sitting tight with what I own and maybe buying couple of the upcoming Olympus lenses if they do get released. Then in 3 to 5 years if Panasonic releases something I want I will buy it. We are getting near the point where one keeps their camera for a very long time before there is something worthy of upgrading to. This was a problem with Olympus when users of the E-M5 and E-M1 thought their cameras were good enough and never upgraded.

I enjoy your Flickr photos.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +40 more
absoluutbeginner
OP absoluutbeginner Regular Member • Posts: 446
Re: Why don't we

rurikw wrote:

scrape our savings together and buy Olympus' camera division? Wait... Oly is actually paying JIP to take it. Let's tell Oly we are willing to take it for less money. Then we can have the perfect product line instead of the hodgepodge that Oly offered in their stupidity because they didn't listen to us. Let me see... first we need more affordable midrange slowish primes. No, zooms! No, fast wide angle primes! No, the tele end is what needs our immediate attention. No, small well-specced bodies is what we need first. Yes, with tilt screens. No-way, it's FAS or no deal! Calm down, we will license the perfect hybrid from Fuji! No, Sony's is better... Coming back when I get this sorted out. Main thing is we'll all get rich.

You have no dealings with Olympus .... so why do you complain 🤪

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads