Support Olympus and buy a new camera.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
absoluutbeginner
OP absoluutbeginner Regular Member • Posts: 441
Re: Support Olympus and buy a new camera.
2

Doug Janis wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Well we should all try to do that .... buy Olympus lenses or the E-M1II and III and the excellent E-M1X to support Olympus .

Not knowing if the warranties will be honoured, or a simple part will be available in the future?

Nope.

Just be cautious with your equipment .... and did you ever got problems with Olympus lenses ?

You are only here to stir up ..... 

absoluutbeginner
OP absoluutbeginner Regular Member • Posts: 441
Re: Support Olympus and buy a new camera.

Bobby J wrote:

Why don't you just send a check for 1,000.00 US to the CEO. I'm sure he'd like that.

Bobby ...an ex  Commercial Pilot ...... I do already  support very expensive pilots from a European Airline company who is in deep ...... and those bulk rich pilots only want to give up  20% of theire salary whilst they still get soo much more that pilots from Delta Airlines .  They ask of me to give 10% ...whilst they are flying getting extra cash with buying cheaper tax free stuff and making delays and filling thereby their pockets. . So I have my belly stuffed with greedy commercial pilots ..... btw I am mechanic . :-D. So ..come on  and empty your greedy wallet  

absoluutbeginner
OP absoluutbeginner Regular Member • Posts: 441
So many Olympus lenses ..are they dead?

sbu wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Well we should all try to do that .... buy Olympus lenses or the E-M1II and III and the excellent E-M1X to support Olympus .

This is far too late now. What you should consider is starting to buy more Panasonic gear now - or the mft system will soon be fully dead.

SBU .......Why do you have so many Olympus lenses then .....:-O

absoluutbeginner
OP absoluutbeginner Regular Member • Posts: 441
Re: Even now
1

NCV wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Well we should all try to do that .... buy Olympus lenses or the E-M1II and III and the excellent E-M1X to support Olympus .

The EM1X. No thanks! If I wanted a camera that large, I'd buy a D850. Oh, WAIT…

If Olympus released a TG-series camera with a M4/3 sensor I'd be all over it!

I still see those photographers standing .. 4 men in an luxury hotel 4WD in Tanzania with the total amount of around lets say $40000 -50000 on camera equipment and looking like pro Photographers ...and the moment there was a leopard or cheetah around on 100-200m they all went to the same side of the top canopy 4wd with the big bodies (both flesh and camera's ) .And with those large tele lenses they could not make one steady shot. You heard them shouting to each other to stay still . And me standing alone in a non hotel rental 4wd .. with a small E-M1X +E-M1II with small lenses ... and we meet under way and I showed my pictures and they where stunned ... about the pictures . That is the thing everyone forgets ... portability ..even with long lenses ...and yes with that "big" E-M1X. :-). The costs for them ? I think about 10000-15000 for the trip p/p for 5 days and for me 4000 for 2 weeks.

Even now when Olympus have regally shafted the M43 community, we continue to hear these stupid stories of how some complete oafs with expensive FF gear were made to look stupid by the wise guy with his M43 gear.

The Safari "aren't I so clever" story is a favourite old chestnut. How many times have we heard the many variations of this story.

Wildlife photography does not interest me much on the whole. But whilst I was in the Valle d'Aosta a couple of years ago I came across and was enchanted by a guy who made a book about the "Grande Paradiso" park.

This guy hauled Nikon FF gear up and down mountains to get these shots. Shots that most can only dream about. How come? How did he manage without a M43 camera?

There are intelligente people who use other systems too.

Just for the record my soon to be purchased hiking gear with Nikon FF weighs just a little bit more than my M43 kit.

Go and compare a Nikon Z7+24-200 with a EM1 with 12-100.

Olympus have great form in leaving their customers high and dry: OM, 4/3 and now M43.

I hope that your old lenses fit your new camera ?

Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 5,152
Re: Support Olympus and buy a new camera.
13

Even if it's possible to resurrect Olympus, what would likely happen is that it will again make the same mistake of making products that are simply too big and too expensive for a M43 sensor, products that most Olympus users do not care about. And it would again fail and people left with no support and no upgrade.

I think M43 users should buy Panasonic instead.  Why buy products without support and that are likely to be the last products from that company.   It's important to ensure your lenses will still be usable in future on new bodies yet to come. Hopefully, with more people buying Panasonic, that will be incentive for Panasonic to continue in M43. Hopefully, Panasonic will learn from Olympus' mistake and make some top performance but compact cameras.

NCV
NCV Forum Pro • Posts: 10,835
Re: Even now
6

absoluutbeginner wrote:

NCV wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Well we should all try to do that .... buy Olympus lenses or the E-M1II and III and the excellent E-M1X to support Olympus .

The EM1X. No thanks! If I wanted a camera that large, I'd buy a D850. Oh, WAIT…

If Olympus released a TG-series camera with a M4/3 sensor I'd be all over it!

I still see those photographers standing .. 4 men in an luxury hotel 4WD in Tanzania with the total amount of around lets say $40000 -50000 on camera equipment and looking like pro Photographers ...and the moment there was a leopard or cheetah around on 100-200m they all went to the same side of the top canopy 4wd with the big bodies (both flesh and camera's ) .And with those large tele lenses they could not make one steady shot. You heard them shouting to each other to stay still . And me standing alone in a non hotel rental 4wd .. with a small E-M1X +E-M1II with small lenses ... and we meet under way and I showed my pictures and they where stunned ... about the pictures . That is the thing everyone forgets ... portability ..even with long lenses ...and yes with that "big" E-M1X. :-). The costs for them ? I think about 10000-15000 for the trip p/p for 5 days and for me 4000 for 2 weeks.

Even now when Olympus have regally shafted the M43 community, we continue to hear these stupid stories of how some complete oafs with expensive FF gear were made to look stupid by the wise guy with his M43 gear.

The Safari "aren't I so clever" story is a favourite old chestnut. How many times have we heard the many variations of this story.

Wildlife photography does not interest me much on the whole. But whilst I was in the Valle d'Aosta a couple of years ago I came across and was enchanted by a guy who made a book about the "Grande Paradiso" park.

This guy hauled Nikon FF gear up and down mountains to get these shots. Shots that most can only dream about. How come? How did he manage without a M43 camera?

There are intelligente people who use other systems too.

Just for the record my soon to be purchased hiking gear with Nikon FF weighs just a little bit more than my M43 kit.

Go and compare a Nikon Z7+24-200 with a EM1 with 12-100.

Olympus have great form in leaving their customers high and dry: OM, 4/3 and now M43.

I hope that your old lenses fit your new camera ?

I sold all my old M43 just in time to get a good trade in.

Well, I have a couple of Nikon lenses from 30 years ago that work perfectly on my Z7 via the FTZ adaptor. Nikon at least have never left their users in the sh*t .

How to OM lenses work on M43 via the official Olympus adaptor?

 NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7
n3eg
n3eg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,160
Re: Support Olympus and buy a new camera.

Doug Janis wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Well we should all try to do that .... buy Olympus lenses or the E-M1II and III and the excellent E-M1X to support Olympus .

Not knowing if the warranties will be honoured, or a simple part will be available in the future?

Nope.

Already there are no future plans to allow saving settings in Olympus Workspace or Camera Updater for the E-M1 III and E-M5 III.

This means they've already said "We are outta here!"

-- hide signature --

I'm not nearsighted. My eyes just have good bokeh.
It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

 n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro 14n Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Kodak Pixpro S-1 Olympus E-M5 III +70 more
Alexis D Contributing Member • Posts: 792
Re: Support Olympus and buy a new camera.
2

No way I would do that.

It should be obvious that even for the enthusiasts and pros here, very few people want to buy new Olympus gear now.  This is especially true for buyers out there with no M43 lenses.  It's no use.

rurikw
rurikw Veteran Member • Posts: 3,047
Why don't we
10

scrape our savings together and buy Olympus' camera division? Wait... Oly is actually paying JIP to take it. Let's tell Oly we are willing to take it for less money. Then we can have the perfect product line instead of the hodgepodge that Oly offered in their stupidity because they didn't listen to us. Let me see... first we need more affordable midrange slowish primes. No, zooms! No, fast wide angle primes! No, the tele end is what needs our immediate attention. No, small well-specced bodies is what we need first. Yes, with tilt screens. No-way, it's FAS or no deal! Calm down, we will license the perfect hybrid from Fuji! No, Sony's is better... Coming back when I get this sorted out. Main thing is we'll all get rich.

 rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +28 more
sbu Regular Member • Posts: 328
Re: So many Olympus lenses ..are they dead?
5

absoluutbeginner wrote:

sbu wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Well we should all try to do that .... buy Olympus lenses or the E-M1II and III and the excellent E-M1X to support Olympus .

This is far too late now. What you should consider is starting to buy more Panasonic gear now - or the mft system will soon be fully dead.

SBU .......Why do you have so many Olympus lenses then .....:-O

All bought before last week and before I knew Olympus would leave the business. Moving forward I will only buy Panasonic first hand. I may buy Olympus second hand in case a great bargain shows up.

 sbu's gear list:sbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Cafe Racer Contributing Member • Posts: 902
Support?
9

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Well we should all try to do that .... buy Olympus lenses or the E-M1II and III and the excellent E-M1X to support Olympus .

Perhaps you should read about some of the lawsuits that were filed against Olympus. In the last four years they've had to pay out hundreds of millions of dollars to settle criminal charges. Then ask yourself if Olympus deserves our support.

 Cafe Racer's gear list:Cafe Racer's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
jpzundel Regular Member • Posts: 168
Re: Support Olympus and buy a new camera.
3

I did buy an e-m1 III after the announcement.

Mostly to make sure I have a new e-m1 for the years to come. I look forward to all the new capabilities of the Mark III relative to the Mark I that I have.

Is there something among the remaining Fuji, Nikon, Canon and Panasonic camera and lens which can match an E-M1 with a 12-100mm f4.
Maybe the Nikon Z7 with a 24-200, but no match as to Image stabilization.

Or an E-m1 with a 75-300mm?
And what about a E-M1 with a Venus Laowa 7.5mm f2?  Found anything to match?

 jpzundel's gear list:jpzundel's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
march hare Regular Member • Posts: 222
Re: Support Olympus and buy a new camera.

a camera, a trip to Africa what else should one buy? I will send you some scrambled eggs

Bhima78 Senior Member • Posts: 2,850
Re: Even now

Well, hopefully Nikon isn't the next on the chopping block, as they too are in financial trouble. The only 2 camera manufacturers not in trouble are Canon and Sony.

 Bhima78's gear list:Bhima78's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +12 more
Tuonov2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,536
Re: Support Olympus and buy a new camera.
5

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Well we should all try to do that .... buy Olympus lenses or the E-M1II and III and the excellent E-M1X to support Olympus .

You do understand that if you all do this and it works you'll have to keep on doing it every quarter in order to keep the company going? The whole notion is absurd.

There would be a lot of olympus faithful with cupboards full of gear they didn't want nor need and only empty bank accounts to comfort them in their old age.

You come across very much like videopic, he regularly posted nonsense about oly on this forum.......

nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 17,100
Support Danny and send a Paypal payment (NT)
5
-- hide signature --

I can always justify a need, but I can never justify a want.
-
https://www.birdsinaction.com/

Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 5,345
Re: Support Olympus and buy a new camera.
1

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Well we should all try to do that .... buy Olympus lenses or the E-M1II and III and the excellent E-M1X to support Olympus .

The EM1X. No thanks! If I wanted a camera that large, I'd buy a D850. Oh, WAIT…

If Olympus released a TG-series camera with a M4/3 sensor I'd be all over it!

And comparing the size of a camera with a built-in vertical grip to one without a vertical grip is precisely the sort of misleading internet dialogue that has undermined the Olympus brand and contributed to the need to sell the imaging division.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 5,345
Re: Even now
6

Bhima78 wrote:

Well, hopefully Nikon isn't the next on the chopping block, as they too are in financial trouble. The only 2 camera manufacturers not in trouble are Canon and Sony.

And the last item I purchased that was unsupported after a sale to JIP was a Sony Vaio laptop... so I wouldn’t be overly confident in Sony sticking by its loyal users if profitability drops for them.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Bhima78 Senior Member • Posts: 2,850
True, but
1

Photo Pete wrote:

Bhima78 wrote:

Well, hopefully Nikon isn't the next on the chopping block, as they too are in financial trouble. The only 2 camera manufacturers not in trouble are Canon and Sony.

And the last item I purchased that was unsupported after a sale to JIP was a Sony Vaio laptop... so I wouldn’t be overly confident in Sony sticking by its loyal users if profitability drops for them.

Sony has muscled their way in by being there first and establishing a large suite of cameras and lenses. Consequently, they remain number 1 or number 2 consistently in mirrorless FF sales. Nikon does not push them off, so I think the system has taken root and will be here for awhile.

 Bhima78's gear list:Bhima78's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +12 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 26,535
Re: Support Olympus and buy a new camera.
4

Photo Pete wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Well we should all try to do that .... buy Olympus lenses or the E-M1II and III and the excellent E-M1X to support Olympus .

The EM1X. No thanks! If I wanted a camera that large, I'd buy a D850. Oh, WAIT…

If Olympus released a TG-series camera with a M4/3 sensor I'd be all over it!

And comparing the size of a camera with a built-in vertical grip to one without a vertical grip is precisely the sort of misleading internet dialogue that has undermined the Olympus brand and contributed to the need to sell the imaging division.

it's quite misleading when you realise that Oly managed to make one of the largest mirrorless cameras?

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

 Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads