Support Olympus and buy a new camera.

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions
absoluutbeginner
absoluutbeginner Regular Member • Posts: 437
Support Olympus and buy a new camera.

Well  we should all try to do that .... buy Olympus lenses or the E-M1II and III and the excellent E-M1X to support Olympus .

jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 5,362
Why ...

Why?  What good will that accomplish?  I see no upside for me.  Buying something that is probably not warranted/supported very soon is no good.  Oly the parent company will be fine as soon as they ditch the camera division.  I feel no need to support them.  It will make zero difference to what remains of the bones of the camera division if I buy a 1000 cameras and lenses.  So, again, why?

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 7,966
But why?

I don’t see a point in supporting a company that gets rid of the very business I am supporting. Makes no difference to them, nor to the new owner. Only makes you poorer.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +13 more
absoluutbeginner
OP absoluutbeginner Regular Member • Posts: 437
Re: But why?

Astrotripper wrote:

I don’t see a point in supporting a company that gets rid of the very business I am supporting. Makes no difference to them, nor to the new owner. Only makes you poorer.

I do not think it is Olympus itself that is wanting to split the Camera business from the rest of the company ...

I am sure its the shareholders that want maximum value from their investment and want to cut the Olympus Camera Department from the rest to get more cash .

The camera section is still connected and by buying a lens or camera's and so supporting the camera business the value goes up and the deficit goes down and no measures have to be taken to get the camera side out of the slump .

Correct me if I am wrong....

Dream ...

absoluutbeginner wrote:

The camera section is still connected and by buying a lens or camera's and so supporting the camera business the value goes up and the deficit goes down and no measures have to be taken to get the camera side out of the slump .

Correct me if I am wrong....

Dream on.  Never happening.  Oly's camera division is dead no matter how many cameras you buy.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

jeffharris
jeffharris Forum Pro • Posts: 10,104
Re: Support Olympus and buy a new camera.

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Well we should all try to do that .... buy Olympus lenses or the E-M1II and III and the excellent E-M1X to support Olympus .

The EM1X. No thanks! If I wanted a camera that large, I'd buy a D850. Oh, WAIT…

If Olympus released a TG-series camera with a M4/3 sensor I'd be all over it!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +33 more
absoluutbeginner

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Well we should all try to do that .... buy Olympus lenses or the E-M1II and III and the excellent E-M1X to support Olympus .

Hi Jeff ..depends what using it for ! If you want to go many times to Africa and have to fly portability is great thanks to the lenses . The body is not much bigger than the E-m1 II +hold . I have E-M1X and E-M1II and Pen-F in the bag + 300mm +40-150mm + 3 tele  converters + 7-14mm all pro and its fits with all stuff into one bag to take into the cabin .Try that with any other .... except Pana ..and I am very pleased with the result ! I am not a pro and do it for a hobby ..but a nice kit for the price.

absoluutbeginner

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Oh Jeff .....I forgot the excellent stabilisation and the dust proof which I have been  soo many times very happy with it ...  for me still a winner ! 

Thank you again Olympus ...

Doxa750 Regular Member • Posts: 367

I intend to buy a lens or two down the road in 2020, but it has to do with my own desire. My current Olympus gears should last me for a long while as I just started a little less than 2 years ago.

I will continue to buy a replacement if something breaks and I can find it from the market (new or used). When time comes that I run out of option, I shall look for something that work for my personal need.

Cheers

Doxa750's gear list:Doxa750's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +6 more
BG28
BG28 Regular Member • Posts: 372

I've been planning to buy an EM5-3 soon, and see no reason to change plans. At worst, even if the Oly image division goes away for good (which it won't) beginning in 2021, there's still several years worth of stock waiting to be sold, and JIP has, in principle, agreed to honor service contracts. 
There' s just so much unknown, and the terms of the deal haven't even been negotiated yet (Oly and JIP have until the end of the year). I don't see any reason to do anything differently.

BG28's gear list:BG28's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more

absoluutbeginner wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Hi Jeff ..depends what using it for ! If you want to go many times to Africa and have to fly portability is great thanks to the lenses .

You can always crop a shot with the Nikon. Every FF cameras has a m43 size sensor area available. An APSC one too! And everything in between as a bonus!

The body is not much bigger than the E-m1 II +hold . I have E-M1X and E-M1II and Pen-F in the bag + 300mm +40-150mm + 3 tele converters + 7-14mm all pro and its fits with all stuff into one bag to take into the cabin .Try that with any other .... except Pana ..and I am very pleased with the result ! I am not a pro and do it for a hobby ..but a nice kit for the price.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

absoluutbeginner

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

I still see those photographers standing .. 4 men in an luxury hotel 4WD in Tanzania with the total amount of around lets say $40000 -50000 on camera equipment and looking like pro Photographers ...and the moment there was a leopard or cheetah around on 100-200m they all went to the same side of the top canopy 4wd with the big bodies (both flesh and camera's ) .And  with those large tele lenses they could not make one steady shot. You heard them shouting  to each other to stay still . And me standing alone in a non hotel rental 4wd .. with a small E-M1X +E-M1II with small lenses ... and we meet under way and I showed my pictures and they where stunned ... about the pictures .  That is the thing everyone forgets ... portability ..even with long lenses ...and yes with that "big" E-M1X. :-). The costs for them ? I think about 10000-15000 for the trip p/p for 5 days and for me 4000 for 2 weeks.

Doug Janis Contributing Member • Posts: 673

absoluutbeginner wrote:

Not knowing if the warranties will be honoured, or a simple part will be available in the future?

Nope.

Doug Janis's gear list:Doug Janis's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
hikerdoc Senior Member • Posts: 2,643

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment that it is better to set your own agenda and make the necessary arrangements to best fit your needs. Those cramped tour vehicles are always likely to leave you out of position for many shots. Being in the right place at the right time got you the images these guys tripping over each other couldn’t get even with their top end gear.

hikerdoc's gear list:hikerdoc's gear list
Apple iPhone 8
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 16,655

absoluutbeginner wrote:

No thanks.  I did buy one of their cameras before but they continued to put too much emphasis on retro style so they weren't appealing to me.  Panasonic's ergonomics and feature set was much better geared towards me, and I certainly can't afford to support Olympus simply so that m43 will have two big manufacturers.

Their lenses were a similar story: I prefer compact, quality lenses, so I opted for Panasonic's lenses.  Most of the Olympus lenses in the range/performance area I was interested in were bigger than the Panasonic options.  The only lens they have that I was considering was/is the 12-100/4 but even there, the size/weight is a big concern for me.

In short, I would've been happy to support Olympus if they supported me by producing the products I was interested in (WR, updated ver of the 17/1.8, for example).

FourthHorse
FourthHorse Regular Member • Posts: 136
If there were enough buyers to save Olympus...

...it would not have been sold in the first place.

-- hide signature --

Fourth Horse
Erri De Luca said that humans live as long as three horses and then goes on displaying his wisdom. I'm well past both.

Wingsfan
Wingsfan Regular Member • Posts: 417

I have everything I need now. I was considering either the new big zoom, or the 90-250f2.8 4/3 lens, but I realized my needs are changing, as I won't be doing much swimming photography after this year, so those longer, pro/faster lenses won't be as necessary.

So I won't be buying any gear near term, as I am not lacking for anything. I'm not sure what I'll do once it's time to upgrade camera bodies. I was honestly a little underwhelmed with the MK3, so I'm not sure I'll get another EM1. But that leaves me with either Panasonic, or an entirely different system when the time comes around. in terms of my photography, I don't need anything bigger than m43 so we'll have to see what's available in a few years. I am finding a lot of my needs are being met by my 1-in enthusiast cameras, maybe with advances there, that's all I'll need in a few years.

I'm not one of those people that's all fired up or mad about the Olympus news, it is what it is. I find the Olympus cameras I have to perform above the level I need them to in almost all cases, but my requirements and needs are different than others. Like most of my car purchases, I never considered my camera system to be an investment, so while I will think it is very unfortunate, I'm not concerned about any type of loss if they are to shutter everything eventually.

Wingsfan's gear list:Wingsfan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon Coolpix 4100 Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon Coolpix S9100 +17 more
Bobby J Veteran Member • Posts: 4,993

Why don't you just send a check for 1,000.00 US to the CEO.  I'm sure he'd like that.

-- hide signature --

BJM

Bobby J's gear list:Bobby J's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +10 more
NCV
NCV Forum Pro • Posts: 10,671
Even now

absoluutbeginner wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

absoluutbeginner wrote:

I still see those photographers standing .. 4 men in an luxury hotel 4WD in Tanzania with the total amount of around lets say $40000 -50000 on camera equipment and looking like pro Photographers ...and the moment there was a leopard or cheetah around on 100-200m they all went to the same side of the top canopy 4wd with the big bodies (both flesh and camera's ) .And with those large tele lenses they could not make one steady shot. You heard them shouting to each other to stay still . And me standing alone in a non hotel rental 4wd .. with a small E-M1X +E-M1II with small lenses ... and we meet under way and I showed my pictures and they where stunned ... about the pictures . That is the thing everyone forgets ... portability ..even with long lenses ...and yes with that "big" E-M1X. :-). The costs for them ? I think about 10000-15000 for the trip p/p for 5 days and for me 4000 for 2 weeks.

Even now when Olympus have regally shafted the M43 community, we continue to hear these stupid stories of how some complete oafs with expensive FF gear were made to look stupid by the wise guy with his M43 gear.

The Safari "aren't I so clever" story is a favourite old chestnut. How many times have we heard the many variations of this story.

Wildlife photography does not interest me much on the whole. But whilst I was in the Valle d'Aosta a couple of years ago I came across and was enchanted by a guy who made a book about the "Grande Paradiso" park.

This guy hauled Nikon FF gear up and down mountains to get these shots. Shots that most can only dream about. How come? How did he manage without a M43 camera?

There are intelligente people who use other systems too.

Just for the record my soon to be purchased hiking gear with Nikon FF weighs just a little bit more than my M43 kit.

Go and compare a Nikon Z7+24-200 with a EM1 with 12-100.

Olympus have great form in leaving their customers high and dry: OM, 4/3 and now M43.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7
sbu Regular Member • Posts: 315

absoluutbeginner wrote:

This is far too late now. What you should consider is starting to buy more Panasonic gear now - or the mft system will soon be fully dead.

sbu's gear list:sbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads