Do you buy new EF lenses?

Started 5 days ago | Discussions
Vunite Regular Member • Posts: 101
Do you buy new EF lenses?

Out of curiosity: Assuming the entire RF lens setup exists (including the ones to come 2020), do you still buy EF lenses new? Even if there's an RF equivalent?

I assume many still do that, since either the RF equivalent is extremely expensive or because they want to use something like the drop in filter adapter.

Or do you see it as "lost investment", since the future is RF anyway, the lenses too long and big with the adapter etc?

Personally, I'd see EF lenses as a chance to get very good lenses at a much better price (including Sigmas and Tamrons).

stevvi Regular Member • Posts: 376
Re: Do you buy new EF lenses?

Vunite wrote:

Out of curiosity: Assuming the entire RF lens setup exists (including the ones to come 2020), do you still buy EF lenses new? Even if there's an RF equivalent?

I assume many still do that, since either the RF equivalent is extremely expensive or because they want to use something like the drop in filter adapter.

Or do you see it as "lost investment", since the future is RF anyway, the lenses too long and big with the adapter etc?

Personally, I'd see EF lenses as a chance to get very good lenses at a much better price (including Sigmas and Tamrons).

The EF lenses that I did buy initially, I bought 2nd hand (which probably says something about me) and I'm slowly replacing those with their RF versions as they are released. I readily admit that I probably don't *need* the RF lenses over their EF versions but when spending this amount of money I expect to be using the same glass in many years to come so will spend on the latest and greatest, as I'd probably get them at some point in the future anyway.

stevvi's gear list:stevvi's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 1,806

Vunite wrote:

Well, Canon doesn’t make the choice easy. I was planning to buy the cheap and cheerful EF 85mm F1.8 new, until rumors surfaced that RF 85mm F2 STM is a stabilized macro, which solves the two biggest problems with older 85mm lenses like that EF (no IS and long MFD). I’ve suspended the purchase for the moment.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +9 more
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,623

The RF 24-105 L and the RF 70-200 L are my two most used lenses, accounting for maybe 98% of my shots.

I don't think I'll ever buy a new EF lens, but since I got the EOS R, I've bought four EF lenses, all second hand.

For those, I figured the inconvenience of using the adapter is small relative to the price and/or availability of the EF lenses.

The 16-35 f/4 L is a nice-to-have lens. I got it second hand for a good price, and would not be able to justify the RF 15-35 f/2.8 L for the limited usage of the focal length.

The 100 f/2.8 Macro is a specialty lens that is not yet available in RF mount. The lack of IS is no problem as it'll be shot on a tripod and/or using studio flash. This lens is available second hand at good prices.

The 135 f/2.8 Soft Focus is another specialty lens which may never see an RF version and which is available second hand in small but apparently sufficient quantities. Due to social distancing etc. I've not yet had much use for it.

The 28-70 is just sitting in a drawer, waiting for the day I have a shoot that needs a backup for a normal focal length range lens. It cost me less than USD 10 and is better than you'd expect from a lens this old.

The only FF EF lens I kept when I sold (most of) my APS-C kit is the EF 70-300 IS USM. It hasn't had much use and has been superseeded by version II, so I figured I'd keep it for backup and you never know when you'll need a lens longer than 200 mm.

I'm still on the fence about getting the control ring adapter. I haven't really begun using the control ring on my RF lenses, but can't decide whether that's because I don't want to get too dependent on it and miss it on the EF lenses.

Looking forward to see how others respond to your question.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +15 more
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,623

quiquae wrote:

Well, Canon doesn’t make the choice easy. I was planning to buy the cheap and cheerful EF 85mm F1.8 new, until rumors surfaced that RF 85mm F2 STM is a stabilized macro, which solves the two biggest problems with older 85mm lenses like that EF (no IS and long MFD). I’ve suspended the purchase for the moment.

One thing about the EF 85 f/1.8 often overlooked is the significant LoCA of the lens. This may be serious or not, depending on usage. I'd wait.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +15 more
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 4,439

Vunite wrote:

Since the price gets even better (1/3th off) buying used ones, i don't buy new EF lenses.  Some lenses are only 10% off when bought used (85mm f/1.4 IS USM for example). I can imagine  a new one is more appealing in this case.

I love the whole change to mirrorless. If you don't mind the size so much there are boat loads of affordable EF glass on the used marked. If you want great IQ on a budget it's party time.

-- hide signature --

EF glass = bang for my buck

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +13 more
Ananda M New Member • Posts: 7

My 2 cents: For wildlife shooters, RF range seem to be very limited, and even the lineup for 2020 doesn't look exciting. (f/4 option doesn't seem to be coming soon for RF 600mm/800mm versions soon).

Not that I am upgrading anytime soon, but wildlife shooters looking to buy new lenses may have to buy the existing EF lenses for a while.

Ananda M's gear list:Ananda M's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
OP Vunite Regular Member • Posts: 101

Hm the ones I was thinking of maybe would be the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM or the Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens for somewhat affordable macro / portrait. For tele the cheap 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM or the neat Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM. I don't know the prices of the new lenses, but I'm assuming, those have no bang/buck equivalent in the RF world.

SergioThor
SergioThor Forum Member • Posts: 80

Yes, i bought SIgma 20mm 1.4, not seeing that lens even in EF line-up

also bought recently EF 16-35 F4L and 70-200 EF70-200 F4L IS II
no problem attaching them to EF FF, Crop or R system, yet give great IQ on all of the cameras

-- hide signature --
 SergioThor's gear list:SergioThor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R GoPro Hero8 Black Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +12 more
1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 8,489

Vunite wrote:

i own 13 EF "L", and 2 zeiss lenses and am still lusting for the new 70200 f4.0 II for my travels because i think a canon 100400 II is a bit heavy to haul around. there is absolutely no RF lenses for me in the cards, i don't even think about them. these "L" lenses that i own, can do whatever i ask them to do with outstanding IQ.

however, for someone that has very few or no EF lenses, it would be better to start with RF lenses. EF lenses will always be there as a viable option!

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

Dexter Jackson
Dexter Jackson Regular Member • Posts: 134

quiquae wrote:

Vunite wrote:

Unfortunately it appears that those rumors were wrong according to the recent updates, and that even if Canon does have an RF 85 f/2 coming, it won't be available any time soon. Many of us have been waiting for an affordable RF 85 but Canon hasn't even acknowledged it exists. You can get the EF 85 f/1.8 used for around $200 right now.

Dexter Jackson wrote:

quiquae wrote:

Vunite wrote:

Unfortunately it appears that those rumors were wrong according to the recent updates, and that even if Canon does have an RF 85 f/2 coming, it won't be available any time soon. Many of us have been waiting for an affordable RF 85 but Canon hasn't even acknowledged it exists. You can get the EF 85 f/1.8 used for around $200 right now.

I have my adapted Tamron 85mm VC f/1.8 as long as there's no RF 85mm. There's also that Samyang f/1.4...

To bad if we have to wait any longer for that 50mm. I really want a stabilized 50mm compact prime.....

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +13 more
Dexter Jackson
Dexter Jackson Regular Member • Posts: 134

thunder storm wrote:

Dexter Jackson wrote:

quiquae wrote:

Vunite wrote:

I have my adapted Tamron 85mm VC f/1.8 as long as there's no RF 85mm. There's also that Samyang f/1.4...

To bad if we have to wait any longer for that 50mm. I really want a stabilized 50mm compact prime.....

I only see the Samyang/Rokinon AF 85 on B&H and its not even available to buy. Any idea when its supposed to be released?

jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 5,323
I bought ...

Vunite wrote:

I bought 2 EF lenses (already owned several) after I got the R.  A 50 1.8 STM thinking it would AF better than my ancient V1 model.  Surprisingly there is little difference as both do pretty good if a bit noisy.  Second was a 100 2.8 L IS Macro as I wanted a moderate tele lens with IS.  Great lens but the constant IS running is a bit bothersome and when I eventually got the RF 24-105 4L IS I didn't care about the 100 as much.

So 2 tries and neither was something I can't live without, but both do what they are intended to even if I have other lenses that aren't drastically different in their performance.

In general I'd say if not already owning EF glass I'd try to buy comprable RF glass if possible, but if not, EF lenses work exceedingly well.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Re: I bought ...

jwilliams wrote:

Vunite wrote:

I bought 2 EF lenses (already owned several) after I got the R. A 50 1.8 STM thinking it would AF better than my ancient V1 model. Surprisingly there is little difference as both do pretty good if a bit noisy. Second was a 100 2.8 L IS Macro as I wanted a moderate tele lens with IS. Great lens but the constant IS running is a bit bothersome and when I eventually got the RF 24-105 4L IS I didn't care about the 100 as much.

Just use the IS-switch on the lens. That's what i do.

So 2 tries and neither was something I can't live without, but both do what they are intended to even if I have other lenses that aren't drastically different in their performance.

In general I'd say if not already owning EF glass I'd try to buy comprable RF glass if possible, but if not, EF lenses work exceedingly well.

-- hide signature --

tobicy68 Contributing Member • Posts: 666

thunder storm wrote:

Dexter Jackson wrote:

quiquae wrote:

Vunite wrote:

I have the little brother, the Tamron 45mm F1.8 VC just because like you said, I don't really see them making a 50ish mm stablized prime lens anytime soon. Closest one is the 35mm F1.8 macro IS.

tobicy68's gear list:tobicy68's gear list
Canon EOS M100 Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +1 more
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 5,323

thunder storm wrote:

jwilliams wrote:

Vunite wrote:

I bought 2 EF lenses (already owned several) after I got the R. A 50 1.8 STM thinking it would AF better than my ancient V1 model. Surprisingly there is little difference as both do pretty good if a bit noisy. Second was a 100 2.8 L IS Macro as I wanted a moderate tele lens with IS. Great lens but the constant IS running is a bit bothersome and when I eventually got the RF 24-105 4L IS I didn't care about the 100 as much.

Yeah I know.  What can I say I'm lazy.  I still don't understand why Canon doesn't at least allow an option to turn on the IS at half shutter press.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,092
No, but I will buy Used

There are so many EF lenses in circulation that I wouldn't really consider buying one new.   I would however, get a great deal on a Used EF lens.  The good thing about buying a used EF lens is that you can use it for a long time and sell it for about the same as you paid for it.  It's still Used even after you use it some more, so value doesn't change much as long as you care for it.  EF lenses have especially good resale because there are AF adapters for many other systems.

jwilliams wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

jwilliams wrote:

Vunite wrote:

Yeah I know. What can I say I'm lazy. I still don't understand why Canon doesn't at least allow an option to turn on the IS at half shutter press.

You can easily read 10 hours on this forum about that subject if you like.

-- hide signature --

tobicy68 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

Dexter Jackson wrote:

quiquae wrote:

Vunite wrote:

I have the little brother, the Tamron 45mm F1.8 VC just because like you said, I don't really see them making a 50ish mm stablized prime lens anytime soon. Closest one is the 35mm F1.8 macro IS.

I went with the sigma 50mm Art, and for stabilization i have the EF 35mm f/2.0, so i'm not in a hurry. Still i would like to have a stabilized 50mm in the RF mount, as 50mm is my preferred walk around focal length, not 35mm. 35mm is too wide for me. The Tamron 45mm is an option, but it will likely be heavier and larger than an RF 50mm, and i'm afraid the Tamron is a bit slow focusing too.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads