if Fuji made a monochrome gfx 50r .... would you buy it ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
rbf Regular Member • Posts: 214
Re: if Fuji made a monochrome gfx 50r .... would you buy it ?

JimKasson wrote:

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

I had that on the old 460m. It did work well. Slow, of course. I think product shooter would make good use of a GFX mono and a wheel.

You have to know some color science to figure out how many segments you need and what their passbands should look like, then to construct a way to convert the spectral planes to colors. Not for the faint of heart or math (especially linear algebra) challenged.

Jim

Maybe a program could be written to do the conversion? Do you think this could be generalized into a tool that automates it?

Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,492

JimKasson wrote:

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

I had that on the old 460m. It did work well. Slow, of course. I think product shooter would make good use of a GFX mono and a wheel.

You have to know some color science to figure out how many segments you need and what their passbands should look like, then to construct a way to convert the spectral planes to colors. Not for the faint of heart or math (especially linear algebra) challenged.

Jim

You guys are all amateur color scientists. If you want to learn about this complex topic, you need to cruise over to the Fuji Board and read what Homo Erectus and Chris D wrote. It is classic! Here it is. Enjoy! Made my notes Jim....

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64078578

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +6 more
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 29,239

rbf wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

Jim

Maybe a program could be written to do the conversion? Do you think this could be generalized into a tool that automates it?

Yes, of course you'd want to do the conversion automatically. If this became popular, it might make sense to sell a program that worked with a specific filter set and converted the captures to a colorimetric space. That would eliminate the requirement for color science expertise on the part of the user.

But I think the market is quite small. Museums, mostly, I'm guessing.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV +2 more
JimKasson

Greg7579 wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

Jim

You guys are all amateur color scientists. If you want to learn about this complex topic, you need to cruise over to the Fuji Board and read what Homo Erectus and Chris D wrote. It is classic! Here it is. Enjoy! Made my notes Jim....

I'm not touching that one.

-- hide signature --

JimKasson wrote:

rbf wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

Jim

Yes, of course you'd want to do the conversion automatically. If this became popular, it might make sense to sell a program that worked with a specific filter set and converted the captures to a colorimetric space. That would eliminate the requirement for color science expertise on the part of the user.

Jim

This is interesting to me. Maybe it's to work on my understanding of color science it's a particularly weak spot for me.

JimKasson

rbf wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

rbf wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

Jim

Jim

This is interesting to me. Maybe it's to work on my understanding of color science it's a particularly weak spot for me.

I always recommend starting with this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Measuring-Colour-R-W-Hunt/dp/1119975379

Jim

-- hide signature --

JimKasson wrote:

rbf wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

rbf wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

Jim

Jim

I always recommend starting with this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Measuring-Colour-R-W-Hunt/dp/1119975379

Jim

Thanks for the recommendation! It's ordered.2

Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,492

JimKasson wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

Jim

You need to face your fear of science and scientists head on.  Notice how I dove right in with total confidence.  I owe it all to you Jim.  Weren't you proud when I started lecturing on the importance of calibrated monitors and the use of color cards?  😁

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +6 more
Stan Disbrow
Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 4,364

Hi,

True, that. Kodak had such software to go with their product back in the day. Of course they did. They were Eastman Kodak.

That was about the time the called their stuff  Kodak Digital Science. Wasn't none of it cheap, though. The 460 series was $30k.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Kodak DCS520 Kodak DCS760 Nikon D1H Pentax 645D Nikon Df +34 more
JimKasson

Greg7579 wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

Jim

You need to face your fear of science and scientists head on. Notice how I dove right in with total confidence. I owe it all to you Jim. Weren't you proud when I started lecturing on the importance of calibrated monitors and the use of color cards? 😁

I broke down and jumped in:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64092585

It's a slow day.

Jim

-- hide signature --
pumanger Junior Member • Posts: 38

For the price of normal 50R, I would take the mono version. I have no use for color and would love to have a 50R without all the setting that deal with colors.

rockygag Senior Member • Posts: 1,314

The 50R shoots color? Should probably look at my raw settings 😂

Dave

buggz
buggz Regular Member • Posts: 375

No, not for me...

Stan Disbrow
Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 4,364

Hi,

Ha! That's a good one!

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Kodak DCS520 Kodak DCS760 Nikon D1H Pentax 645D Nikon Df +34 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads