if Fuji made a monochrome gfx 50r .... would you buy it ?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions
TRIODEROB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,266
if Fuji made a monochrome gfx 50r .... would you buy it ?

lets save the debate that you can shoot in color and edit to BW for another day - maybe for another lifetime....

with that aside would anyone here be interested in a pure monochrome mf FUJI ????????

kind of like a monster Lecia monochrome or a" poor mans " Phaseone IQ260 Achromatic back

"The IQ260 Achromatic is missing two important elements of a normal digital capture device; its IR filter and the Bayer filter array. CCD’s sensitivity are extreme. They can “record” much more than the visible spectrum. In order to get sharp imagery, the manufacturer places a “cut” filter over the CCD that only allows the visible spectrum to pass through. The Achromatic, however, only has a clear protective glass over the CCD making sensitive to both UV and near infrared wavelengths. Secondly, a CCD pixel can not record the actual wavelength of light. It is essentially color blind only recoding a charge from exposure to photons. In order to achieve color, each individual pixel has a color filter array (red, green, or blue) and these filtered exposure values are then interpolated with intense mathematical algorithms to intelligently guess at color (CFA Interpolation). The Achromatic has a monochrome CCD. There is no bayer pattern applied, and the result is a pure smooth exposure from one pixel to the next."

-   phase one

JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 29,029
Re: if Fuji made a monochrome gfx 50r .... would you buy it ?

No, But I'd buy a monochrome GFX 100. I am not a fan of full spectrum cameras, though.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 100 +2 more
ronald weissman Regular Member • Posts: 277

No. I've both a GFX 50R and an GFX 100, plus almost every recent Leica full frame except an S and a Monochrom. I see no need for the slight improvement that a Monochrom version would bring and too many downsides/limitations. BW imaging in each of these systems is good enough for my purposes.

Then again, I'm not a BW purist. I'm sure for some, the extra level of quality would mean a lot, and don't discount their wishes and preferences. But count me out for market sizing purposes.

ronald weissman's gear list:ronald weissman's gear list
Leica CL Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Sigma fp Fujifilm GFX 100 +7 more
Innocentius Contributing Member • Posts: 768

Absolutely...

That said - I seem to have a color-blindness on red. 'Normal' people perceive my postprocessed pictures and yellowish, hence I do most Portraits in B&W.

Though not completely Monocrome, the Sigma Merrill offers detail to B&W which I greatly appreciate. But my Hasselblad H5D50c is also quite nice.

Innocentius's gear list:Innocentius's gear list
Sigma DP1x Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon PowerShot A1200 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 +10 more
Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,855
No
-- hide signature --

Once you've done fifty, anything less is iffy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 +11 more
Rob de Loe Regular Member • Posts: 313

No, for all the reasons you don't want to talk about!

You can buy one now if you want: https://maxmax.com/maincamerapage/monochrome-cameras/fuji-monochrome/fuji-gfx-50

Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,209

JimKasson wrote:

No, But I'd buy a monochrome GFX 100. I am not a fan of full spectrum cameras, though.

Jim, tell us more.  Why would you do that?  Very interesting.

So you don't think Leica is crazy for selling their top camera in a B&W only model for a bazillion dollars and that these Leica guys aren't nuts for buying it?  I thought they were all nuts.

I need to read up more on the advantages of the dedicated B&W model vs just doing it in post.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Leica Q2 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-H1 +20 more
Rob de Loe Regular Member • Posts: 313

Greg7579 wrote:

I need to read up more on the advantages of the dedicated B&W model vs just doing it in post.

Do you like arguing with people about their religion Greg? Because that's what it's like to raise this subject!

Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 4,220

Hi,

Well, I have had matching mono and color models for decades with the old Kodak CCDs. Both the M6 (460) and the M16 (660/760) process. I only recently sold my venerable DCS660m because it has become collectable and so worth more than I paid for it. Much more. Enough to buy my entire Pentax 645D system. Which, I have more use for.

I can say that there is a difference shooting B+W with a mono sensor vs making up B+W from the color one. In my case, a marked difference. I expect the same would hold true for a Fuji, both the 50 and the 100.

Right now, I am in the 'convert color to B+W' camp. But, I am also thinking about picking up a used Nikon Df and performing the sensor conversion myself. I don't expect, especially at this late date, that Nikon will ever get around to doing so. Even though they have the mono variant of the sensor in the parts bin over on the microscope camera side of the plant....

Hmmm. Maybe a second P645D and do it myself to that Kodak CCD....

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Nikon D1H Kodak DCS760 Nikon Df Kodak DCS520 Pentax 645D +34 more
dual12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,107

Not only would I not buy it, I wouldn't give it a second's thought.

dual12's gear list:dual12's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm GFX 50R +10 more
Chris Dodkin
MOD Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 12,576

he does 

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GFX 50R +43 more
Greg7579

Rob de Loe wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

Do you like arguing with people about their religion Greg? Because that's what it's like to raise this subject!

This is me in 1988 in Ireland explaining the dark secrets of the Druidish cult mixed with elements of the Judo-Christian faith to my Irish wife - Dingle Peninsula - Gallarus Oratory.  Teresa was 8 months pregnant and wearing that sexy 80s prego jump suit.  Look at my jeans!  Tie-die stone wash baby!  Taken from Kodachrome slide and scanned 15 years ago before I was good at PS.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Leica Q2 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-H1 +20 more
Theia Regular Member • Posts: 268

Greg7579 wrote:

Rob de Loe wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

This is me in 1988 in Ireland explaining the dark secrets of the Druidish cult mixed with elements of the Judo-Christian faith to my Irish wife - Dingle Peninsula - Gallarus Oratory. Teresa was 8 months pregnant and wearing that sexy 80s prego jump suit. Look at my jeans! Tie-die stone wash baby! Taken from Kodachrome slide and scanned 15 years ago before I was good at PS.

"Judo-Christian"? LOL

JimKasson

Greg7579 wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Jim, tell us more. Why would you do that? Very interesting.

To reduce mosaicing and demosaicing artifacts. I have a lot of experience with the Betterlight Super 6K, which doesn't have them, and the images are something special. Foveon users say the same thing.

So you don't think Leica is crazy for selling their top camera in a B&W only model for a bazillion dollars and that these Leica guys aren't nuts for buying it? I thought they were all nuts.

I don't think that the purchase of a very expensive monochrome camera is sufficient reason for diagnosing the purchaser as suffering from a mental illness. Maybe a reason for concern, though.

-- hide signature --
JimKasson

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

Well, I have had matching mono and color models for decades with the old Kodak CCDs. Both the M6 (460) and the M16 (660/760) process. I only recently sold my venerable DCS660m because it has become collectable and so worth more than I paid for it. Much more. Enough to buy my entire Pentax 645D system. Which, I have more use for.

I can say that there is a difference shooting B+W with a mono sensor vs making up B+W from the color one. In my case, a marked difference. I expect the same would hold true for a Fuji, both the 50 and the 100.

Right now, I am in the 'convert color to B+W' camp. But, I am also thinking about picking up a used Nikon Df and performing the sensor conversion myself. I don't expect, especially at this late date, that Nikon will ever get around to doing so. Even though they have the mono variant of the sensor in the parts bin over on the microscope camera side of the plant....

Hmmm. Maybe a second P645D and do it myself to that Kodak CCD....

Stan

If we had a monochrome camera, we could, using a filter wheel, make images with accurate color.

-- hide signature --
Greg7579
Judo Christians Converted from Taoism...

19th Century Taoists converted to Christianity practicng their Judo heritage....

-- hide signature --
Greg7579

JimKasson wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Jim, tell us more. Why would you do that? Very interesting.

To reduce mosaicing and demosaicing artifacts. I have a lot of experience with the Betterlight Super 6K, which doesn't have them, and the images are something special. Foveon users say the same thing.

So you don't think Leica is crazy for selling their top camera in a B&W only model for a bazillion dollars and that these Leica guys aren't nuts for buying it? I thought they were all nuts.

I don't think that the purchase of a very expensive monochrome camera is sufficient reason for diagnosing the purchaser as suffering from a mental illness. Maybe a reason for concern, though.

I think one has to be mentally ill (at least to some degree), to buy a 5000 dollar Q2.  To buy a 15 thousand dollar B&W only rig is a form of insanity that verges on the realm of people who buy and restore 80 foot tugboats.  (I actually am friends with a guy who is doing that - seriously!)

-- hide signature --
Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 4,220

Hi,

I had that on the old 460m. It did work well. Slow, of course. I think product shooter would make good use of a GFX mono and a wheel.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Nikon D1H Kodak DCS760 Nikon Df Kodak DCS520 Pentax 645D +34 more
Greg7579

dual12 wrote:

Not only would I not buy it, I wouldn't give it a second's thought.

Keep reading.  This is how it works.  Before this thread gets locked, you will want one....

-- hide signature --
JimKasson

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

I had that on the old 460m. It did work well. Slow, of course. I think product shooter would make good use of a GFX mono and a wheel.

You have to know some color science to figure out how many segments you need and what their passbands should look like, then to construct a way to convert the spectral planes to colors. Not for the faint of heart or math (especially linear algebra) challenged.

Jim

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads