Question about Panasonic 14-140mm versions

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions
dbateman Contributing Member • Posts: 521
Question about Panasonic 14-140mm versions

I have looked at many different photos and there seem to be at least 3 different versions for the 14-140mm f3.5/5.6 lens.

The first version has red HD under the 14-140 mark on the side of the lens.

The second version doesn't have this but instead has the 0.3m/ft to infinity markings under 14-140 on the side of the lens. In small white letters HD is indicated under the model number H-FS14140.

The third most recent has model number H-FSA14140 and the small white HD is next to the four thirds symbol. This is hopefully the weather sealed version.

Do people know which is sharpest or best?

Hard to tell with unreported versions and reviews.

Does any one know if this lens is good in infrared?

Or is the 12-60mm f3.5/5.6 better for infrared?

Thanks,

David

dbateman's gear list:dbateman's gear list
Olympus E-3 Sigma SD14 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 II ASPH
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,457
Re: Question about Panasonic 14-140mm versions

The first version has red HD under the 14-140 mark on the side of the lens.

The second version doesn't have this but instead has the 0.3m/ft to infinity markings under 14-140 on the side of the lens. In small white letters HD is indicated under the model number H-FS14140.

These two are the same lens, they just dumbed down the cosmetics on the later version

The third most recent has model number H-FSA14140 and the small white HD is next to the four thirds symbol. This is hopefully the weather sealed version.

Yep, it also is DUAL-IS-2 compliant instead of just Dual IS 1 but from accounts on here, there`s barely , if any difference , they still didn`t fix the shutter shock issues either with the older bodies such as the GX8, G7 , GX7 etc either

Do people know which is sharpest or best?

Optically they`re all the same , any differences will be down to sample variation

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D610 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D850 Canon EOS M100
OP dbateman Contributing Member • Posts: 521

Thanks,

I am trying to sort this out as possible IR all purpose lens.

I wonder if anyone has experience with this or the 12-60mm f3.5/5.6 for infrared photography.

Sranang Boi Senior Member • Posts: 2,096

AdamT wrote:

Yep, it also is DUAL-IS-2 compliant instead of just Dual IS 1 but from accounts on here, there`s barely , if any difference , they still didn`t fix the shutter shock issues either with the older bodies such as the GX8, G7 , GX7 etc either

Would it be worth the effort to fix the shutter shock problem on the 100 or so users that are still shooting with the GX8, G7, GX7. Panasonic has improved the shutter and now use an electro mechanical shutter on their cameras released after the GX8.

Sranang Boi's gear list:Sranang Boi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G90 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +1 more
AdamT

Would it be worth the effort to fix the shutter shock problem on the 100 or so users that are still shooting with the GX8, G7, GX7. Panasonic has improved the shutter and now use an electro mechanical shutter on their cameras released after the GX8.

Maybe not as the GX8 at least has no Noise or Bit-rate penalties using E-Shutter but they should have dealt with the issue in a lens redesign long before the GX8 launched . it`s not just those bodies - all the G series up to / Inc the 7 and GH1/2/3 suffer to some degree as do all the GF models of the same period , the  GX1 was the shutter shock king ..... so maybe not now but it was very lazy of panasonic to not even try to sort it when the GX8 and the cosmetically modded version of the lens was launched ..

-- hide signature --

Sranang Boi wrote:

AdamT wrote:

Didn't the GX8 get an electronic first curtain shutter firmware update to fix it?

AdamT

dbateman wrote:

Sranang Boi wrote:

AdamT wrote:

Didn't the GX8 get an electronic first curtain shutter firmware update to fix it?

Nope ... it had a kinda workaround update for Auto shutter where if it detected that lens (or others prone to it)  , it`d use the E-Shutter in the shock shutter speed area

-- hide signature --

maggiemole Senior Member • Posts: 1,578

dbateman wrote:

Thanks,

I wonder if anyone has experience with this or the 12-60mm f3.5/5.6 for infrared photography.

I use it for much of my shooting, including on my full spectrum Panasonic G1. It works well, though I find it is like other zooms a little prone to hot spots.  I deal with these in PP. Asa far as being sharp in IR goes I haven't had any complaints. I'll find some images to post tomorrow, not on my Mac at the moment.

AdamT wrote:

Maybe not as the GX8 at least has no Noise or Bit-rate penalties using E-Shutter but they should have dealt with the issue in a lens redesign long before the GX8 launched . it`s not just those bodies - all the G series up to / Inc the 7 and GH1/2/3 suffer to some degree as do all the GF models of the same period , the GX1 was the shutter shock king ..... so maybe not now but it was very lazy of panasonic to not even try to sort it when the GX8 and the cosmetically modded version of the lens was launched ..

The problem is not with the lens, but with the design of the mechanical shutter inn those cameras. The shutter produces a lot of vibration, and that can be heard in the amount of noise that it makes when activated. That vibration gets transferred to the 14-140mm.

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G90 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +1 more
brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,530

Actually, Panasonic has released three 14-140 lenses (not counting merely cosmetic changes):

A. the 14-140 f/4-5.8, model number V-S014140, released in 2009.  Big, heavy, and with a reputation for middling to poor image quality;

B. the 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 released in 2013, model number H-FS14140. Although many, including me, referred to this lens as the "14-140 MKII," that was a misnomer. It was a completely new lens, smaller, lighter, different aperture range, with better image quality than the original f//4-5.8 lens ("A"), not an updated version of that lens. Panasonic may have slightly changed the cosmetics of this lens over the years since its release; and

C. the 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 MKII, model number H-FSA14140, which is a weather-resistant version of "B" above. This lens was just announced on April 5, 2019, and hit the market perhaps in May. As an updated version of an existing lens, it is the true "MKII" lens.

The "B" lens above will do Dual IS2 with firmware update v. 1.2. https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/fs14140.html

I think the "B" and "C" lenses are optically the same, and "C" is just weather resistant.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +16 more
OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 5,949

maggiemole wrote:

dbateman wrote:

Thanks,

I use it for much of my shooting, including on my full spectrum Panasonic G1. It works well, though I find it is like other zooms a little prone to hot spots. I deal with these in PP. Asa far as being sharp in IR goes I haven't had any complaints. I'll find some images to post tomorrow, not on my Mac at the moment.

sensitivity to "invisible light" as it's called is down to the UV/IR blockers that are used over the CCD, not usually a characteristic of the lens itself.

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +6 more
TomFid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,422

brentbrent wrote:

Actually, Panasonic has released three 14-140 lenses (not counting merely cosmetic changes):

A. the 14-140 f/4-5.8, model number V-S014140, released in 2009. Big, heavy, and with a reputation for middling to poor image quality;

It was bigger, but I disagree about image quality. It was probably the first decent superzoom on any mount (except perhaps for the monstrous Canon L). The newer two are better though.

B. the 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 released in 2013, model number H-FS14140. Although many, including me, referred to this lens as the "14-140 MKII," that was a misnomer. It was a completely new lens, smaller, lighter, different aperture range, with better image quality than the original f//4-5.8 lens ("A"), not an updated version of that lens. Panasonic may have slightly changed the cosmetics of this lens over the years since its release; and

C. the 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 MKII, model number H-FSA14140, which is a weather-resistant version of "B" above. This lens was just announced on April 5, 2019, and hit the market perhaps in May. As an updated version of an existing lens, it is the true "MKII" lens.

The "B" lens above will do Dual IS2 with firmware update v. 1.2. https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/fs14140.html

I think the "B" and "C" lenses are optically the same, and "C" is just weather resistant.

Did C also get a coating upgrade, like the 100-300? Anyway B is great and cheap used, if you don't need the weather sealing. They've been around for a while though, so C is a safer bet.

I have the B version. I think it has a very slight IR hotspot at some FL, easily fixed in post, at least in B&W as I do. Overall I'd consider it very satisfactory IQ wise, and incredibly versatile.

TomFid's gear list:TomFid's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Panasonic 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 II

brentbrent wrote:

A. the 14-140 f/4-5.8, model number V-S014140, released in 2009. Big, heavy, and with a reputation for middling to poor image quality;

Thank you,

Yes I knew about the one you listed as A.

I just became annoyed with Panasonic trying to look for a cheap what you call C. As it doesn't have a II on the front barrel. Its only distant markings as far as I can tell is an A in the model name which isn't always photographed for ebay ads.

First thought the Red HD would tell you, but no. There seem to be at least 2 different, what you call version B's.  So looking at what people list has been confusing.

So only way to be really sure that you are getting the newest weather sealed version is to buy new it seems.

Glad to see no one has come back saying mixed things about various version B's. Would be interesting if all the excellent versions had the red HD or didn't. But maybe we don't know as the sampling size is very low, unless Lens Rentals does some tests.

TomFid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,422

dbateman wrote:

brentbrent wrote:

Thank you,

Yes I knew about the one you listed as A.

I just became annoyed with Panasonic trying to look for a cheap what you call C. As it doesn't have a II on the front barrel. Its only distant markings as far as I can tell is an A in the model name which isn't always photographed for ebay ads.

First thought the Red HD would tell you, but no. There seem to be at least 2 different, what you call version B's. So looking at what people list has been confusing.

So only way to be really sure that you are getting the newest weather sealed version is to buy new it seems.

Glad to see no one has come back saying mixed things about various version B's. Would be interesting if all the excellent versions had the red HD or didn't. But maybe we don't know as the sampling size is very low, unless Lens Rentals does some tests.

If you're surfing ebay, the thing to do is ask the seller:

- If they don't know, you can take a chance or pass

- If it's a II, you are now better informed than other bidders

- If they don't answer, you didn't want to buy from them anyway.

The Cs are probably relatively scarce compared to the As and Bs though.

TomFid's gear list:TomFid's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Panasonic 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 II

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

sensitivity to "invisible light" as it's called is down to the UV/IR blockers that are used over the CCD, not usually a characteristic of the lens itself.

Actually quite wrong with your assumption here. The glass used will have significant impact on light transmission. Also the coatings used on the elements. Then hot spots can occur depending on reflections within the lens and the quality of the specific filter you use. This can all be seen even with a leaky Olympus camera that allows quite a bit of IR through the blocking glass.

A full spectrum converted camera, like I have will show you more obviously. But you maybe surprised that a off the shelf EM1mk1 is quite sensitive to IR and will also show you the contrast and sharpness difference between lenses.

I am looking for a weather sealed all purpose lens also capable of IR. It seems to be between the Panasonic 12-60mm f3.5/5.6 or Panasonic 14-140mm f3.5/5.6. The Olympus 14-42mm R2 is great for IR and even UV. But its not sealed and has a limited range. This one I own and have played with. The Olympus 14-54mm mk1 I also own and is great for IR. But with the death of Olympus will need a m43rds weather sealed lens as it only focuses fast on EM1 bodies and I want more m43rds choices going forward.

Figure out all the model versions

Yes great advice.

Ok finally figured out all the versions.

H-FS14140K has the red HD under the 14-140 and is black.

H-FS14140S has the red HD under the 14-140 and is a silver color.

H-FS14140AK does not have the red HD under the 14-140 and is black.

H-FSA14140 is the newest weather sealed version and updated from the H-FS14140AK version. So whatever un reported change that occurred with the AK version is in the FSA weather sealed version, which is called mark 2 with out that indicated any where on the lens.

All the front barrels have the exact same markings.

The change with the AK and FSA maybe 240 fps drive capability. But thats not fully clear.

AdamT

The problem is not with the lens, but with the design of the mechanical shutter inn those cameras. The shutter produces a lot of vibration, and that can be heard in the amount of noise that it makes when activated. That vibration gets transferred to the 14-140mm.

I know the shutter is causing the problem but the issue is made worse by the IS system in the 14-140 and a couple of others (12-35 and 35-100 F2.8s )  , moreso than other IS lenses like the 45-200, 45-150 and not at all in some like the 14-42-II and its rarely an issue with non stabilized lenses and the GX8 (moreso with the GX1)

-- hide signature --

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 13,450

AdamT wrote:

There might be some mis info here, sorry to say it...

I know the shutter is causing the problem but the issue is made worse by the IS system in the 14-140

14~140 f/3.5 is a problem without doubt. It has very sensitive OIS that even under the new m-shutter of GX85, problem still exist.

The other 2 are the 14~42PZ and 45~200.

aa couple of others (12-35 and 35-100 F2.8s ) , m

The two f/2.8 zoom lenses, as well as the 12~32, 14~45, 14~42 mk-II, the two 12~60, 45~150 are basically immune from SS.

Not sure on 100~300 (rarely heard about it).a

The 100~400, 200 and 50~200 etc relative special lenses are also not discussed.

than other IS lenses like the 45-200, 45-150 and not at all in some like the 14-42-II and its rarely an issue with non stabilized lenses and the GX8 (moreso with the GX1)

Yes, panny shutter shock is generally related to over sensitive OIS of the lens plus a noisy m-shutter.

So far the IBIS on GX85 & G85 shows no SS on non OIS lenses like Oly bodies will. Might be all panny IBIS bodies already use the new m-shutter...

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more

That's why the 14-140mm has a switch to disable the I.S.

AdamT

Sranang Boi wrote:

That's why the 14-140mm has a switch to disable the I.S.

it doesn`t stop the shock because the system still has to centralise and suspend the IS element - same for Nikon`s VR and shock issues in certain cameras there too

the only way out is E-Shutter with that lens and the Shocky cameras, I`ve been through all this with the GX7 ..

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads