Who is buying an R5?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions
bodeswell Regular Member • Posts: 128
Who is buying an R5?

I see all the excitement in the R6 thread, but 20MP leaves me cold. I can't say I am exactly excited about the R5 at the rumored price point, but I am thinking about it.

Isn't anybody else thinking about an R5?

Ricoh Caplio R5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 20,681
Re: Who is buying an R5?

bodeswell wrote:

I see all the excitement in the R6 thread, but 20MP leaves me cold. I can't say I am exactly excited about the R5 at the rumored price point, but I am thinking about it.

If it has at least 1DX II AF and no blackout then probably yes. I will wait to see (well I'll have no choice) to see what the R6 reviews reveal.

-- hide signature --

I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +8 more
stevvi Regular Member • Posts: 459

I'm about 95% certain I'm getting it. There's have to be something pretty wrong for me not to buy.

stevvi's gear list:stevvi's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM
lawny13 Senior Member • Posts: 2,484

stevvi wrote:

I'm about 95% certain I'm getting it. There's have to be something pretty wrong for me not to buy.

Same here. When I first bought the A7III I thought I would own that camera for years to come. I mean what else would actually beat it? Well, I was never a fan of sony, and I was waiting for canon to get into game. When the R came out I knew it would be a stop gab, but I figured I would just go canon and wait for their A7III or rather A7RIII. 
The R5 IMHO, seems like THE camera that I have been waiting for. I really don't see how canon could come out with something that I would "upgrade" to after the R5. Faster fps, or higher MP, etc etc, just don't see it, cause I just won't need that. 
The R5, like stevvi said, unless we are pretty wrong will be the camera to own for the next 4-6 years. Then finally we can stop waiting and going over reviews, and "upgrading" and just spend on time and money on lenses. Rather than spending another $1k-$3k on a body every 2 years, or whatever, I can spend that money on lens(es) instead.

If I were to go R6... I know I will want more MP later on. For BIF and wildlife the extra MP for cropping is just great. If it is weather sealed like a 5 series camera, that would be great too. If the battery life is definitely improved as expected... and on and on.

stevvi Regular Member • Posts: 459

lawny13 wrote:

stevvi wrote:

Same here. When I first bought the A7III I thought I would own that camera for years to come. I mean what else would actually beat it? Well, I was never a fan of sony, and I was waiting for canon to get into game. When the R came out I knew it would be a stop gab, but I figured I would just go canon and wait for their A7III or rather A7RIII.
The R5 IMHO, seems like THE camera that I have been waiting for. I really don't see how canon could come out with something that I would "upgrade" to after the R5. Faster fps, or higher MP, etc etc, just don't see it, cause I just won't need that.
The R5, like stevvi said, unless we are pretty wrong will be the camera to own for the next 4-6 years. Then finally we can stop waiting and going over reviews, and "upgrading" and just spend on time and money on lenses. Rather than spending another $1k-$3k on a body every 2 years, or whatever, I can spend that money on lens(es) instead.

If I were to go R6... I know I will want more MP later on. For BIF and wildlife the extra MP for cropping is just great. If it is weather sealed like a 5 series camera, that would be great too. If the battery life is definitely improved as expected... and on and on.

Agreed. Hopefully some folks here would stop whining so much too, but I have my doubts about that

stevvi's gear list:stevvi's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 4,529

bodeswell wrote:

I know i will get one one day, but it's out of budget for now. I'm not getting the R6 because i can't afford the R5 as the R is satisfying a lot of my needs for now. I will jump from R to R5, and for both the shrinking of the price of the R5 and the growth of my bank account time is on my side.

-- hide signature --

EF glass = bang for my buck

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +13 more
mikeyL
mikeyL Contributing Member • Posts: 876

stevvi said it - I'm buying unless something comes out of a very negative nature about some critical specification. So I'll wait until the first round of actual reviews and samples (maybe still of pre-production early released bodies) and then likely order the camera with the RF 24-105 f/4 L IS lens.

ML

mikeyL's gear list:mikeyL's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more

thunder storm wrote:

bodeswell wrote:

I know i will get one one day, but it's out of budget for now. I'm not getting the R6 because i can't afford the R5 as the R is satisfying a lot of my needs for now. I will jump from R to R5, and for both the shrinking of the price of the R5 and the growth of my bank account time is on my side.

Yes we should start to get that info after the 9th.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +8 more
Melatonin New Member • Posts: 18

bodeswell wrote:

Thinking about it... still wondering whether an RS or R mk II are in the cards. The R mk II might end up being what I wait for. Even if I do decide on the R5 I’ll probably wait till black friday.

knutte Regular Member • Posts: 290

maybe....we'll see, too videocentric for me. perhaps I'll sell my RP, get the R6, wait a while and sell the 5DIV and get the R5 later on on sale. Depends a little on their weights. maybe we'll find out the R6 is actually a 30 MP.....

-- hide signature --

If you're a fan of oversaturated images you should skip my flickr collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/164425702@N02/

Peak freak Contributing Member • Posts: 662

lawny13 wrote:

stevvi wrote:

Agreed.

Unless Canon have been unethically misleading, this looks like a camera body for years to come.

As it is, I still use my 5D2, and will be for some time because I have just spent my savings on yet another road trip.

Austin7642 Regular Member • Posts: 345

bodeswell wrote:

I'd like to take a moment here to note the EOS R is a very, very, very capable and good camera for stills. I currently own two of them and just use them for landscapes, so the R5 is going to need to have more than a megapixel boost. Otherwise, 4-5k is better spent elsewhere.

Austin7642's gear list:Austin7642's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +15 more
ddixon Regular Member • Posts: 193

I've been saving for years for an upgrade to my 6D, although I got an RP when it first came out as a stopgap/travel camera. I've got the money for either the R5 or R6 plus a lens or two. I want the R5 unless the R6 is TONS better in low light. Even then, the 20mp would be a huge letdown for a camera I plan to keep for at least 6 years, especially since I don't do sports/fast action.

ddixon's gear list:ddixon's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +4 more
David M. Anglin
David M. Anglin Senior Member • Posts: 1,528

I have already sold some of my EF gear (5dIV , 200-400 f4, 70-200 f2.8 II) in prep for moving to the R5 or abandoning Canon for another solution,  Based on rumors and expectations, I will pre-order R5, R6, RF 24-105 f4, and RF100-500 plus some accessories.  I will watch the reviews and can always bail if Canon doesn’t deliver on expectations.  Selling the 200-400 was more about weight than a move to RF, although it does free up a nice piece of cash.  I do believe the R5 will be a great camera.  As a wildlife shooter, I have to confirm the EVF and AF can handle the action.  If the R5 can match or exceed my 1dx II, the rest of my EF gear will go up for sale.

David M. Anglin's gear list:David M. Anglin's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +8 more
Peak freak Contributing Member • Posts: 662

Austin7642 wrote:

bodeswell wrote:

I'd like to take a moment here to note the EOS R is a very, very, very capable and good camera for stills. I currently own two of them and just use them for landscapes, so the R5 is going to need to have more than a megapixel boost. Otherwise, 4-5k is better spent elsewhere.

This is good feedback thanks.

I have been looking at going to Sony, but when I did the sums, the EOS R is extremely good value, especially for existing Canon users.

Peak freak wrote:

lawny13 wrote:

stevvi wrote:

Agreed.

Unless Canon have been unethically misleading, this looks like a camera body for years to come.

I'm going to keep my R and RF 24-105 combo for a long time. I don't see the need to upgrade it. 30mg. It will make a nice travel and walk around.

As it is, I still use my 5D2, and will be for some time because I have just spent my savings on yet another road trip.

-- hide signature --

KT-87 New Member • Posts: 24

bodeswell wrote:

I'm in a huge toss up atm, I need to wait for full specs. I've been focused more so on the video aspect lately. I could care less about 8k right now but the 4k/120 is tempting. If the R6 is also no crop 4k/60 then idk if the extra 1k or so would be worth the extra MP and 4k/120. It's a really hard decision!

Snapper2013 Contributing Member • Posts: 600
I'll wait until Canon gets it right with the R5 II

nt

Snapper2013's gear list:Snapper2013's gear list
Canon RF 800mm F11 IS STM
mikeyL
mikeyL Contributing Member • Posts: 876

Since my existing body is a 5DSr, this is an easier decision for me. The R5 on paper seems to be a blend between a high MP cam (downgrade in rez from my 5DSr will not be noticeable), a fast action cam (12 fps is plenty I would think), and also something with better high ISO than my existing 5DSr, and at least as good as the EOS R would think. If it comes through on all those fronts I am sold. I like to make big metal prints, and have always liked my 5DSr for that purpose, but have found limitations when shooting wildlife and nightscapes with it. The R5 could potentially solve both those issues it would seem.

ML

mikeyL's gear list:mikeyL's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more
Son of Thunder
Son of Thunder Contributing Member • Posts: 582

Melatonin wrote:

bodeswell wrote:

Thinking about it... still wondering whether an RS or R mk II are in the cards. The R mk II might end up being what I wait for. Even if I do decide on the R5 I’ll probably wait till black friday.

The R mkii should be a year or 2 away by canon usual product cycle.

Son of Thunder's gear list:Son of Thunder's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads