Forcing Windows to use Dell UP2718Q driver?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
RMcL Contributing Member • Posts: 659
Forcing Windows to use Dell UP2718Q driver?

Recently purchased a Dell UP2718Q wide gamut 10bit monitor to use with Adobe Lightroom Classic on a Windows 10 desktop platform. Everything is working fine and I have successfully performed Adobe RGB and DCI-P3 calibrations using the Dell (xRite) calibration software. Results look great.

Problem I have (and not really sure that it is a problem) is that for the life of me I cannot get Windows 10 to install the Dell driver for the monitor and Windows has defaulted to its generic PnP monitor driver. The UP2718Q thus shows up in control panel as a generic plug and play monitor. When I try to install the Dell driver the installation simply exits stating that most optimal driver is already installed, I.e., Windows generic PnP monitor driver. Is there a way to force installation of the Dell driver overriding the generic Windows driver?

RMcL's gear list:RMcL's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +8 more
Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 1,726
Re: Forcing Windows to use Dell UP2718Q driver?

You likely don't need to concern yourself with it. Probably 99.9% of monitors today don't need drivers to be installed. They're simply no longer needed.

One possible exception might be if a monitor makes use of an internal hardware LUT for storing calibration data. Even then, a Windows driver may not be needed if the calibration software includes its own driver within the application.

Back in the Windows 95-98 days (and maybe early XP) monitors needed "drivers" to tell Windows things like what the resolution and refresh rate capabilities were for the display. All of that is done automatically these days over the "data portions" of HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI connections.

OP RMcL Contributing Member • Posts: 659

Billiam29 wrote:

You likely don't need to concern yourself with it. Probably 99.9% of monitors today don't need drivers to be installed. They're simply no longer needed.

One possible exception might be if a monitor makes use of an internal hardware LUT for storing calibration data. Even then, a Windows driver may not be needed if the calibration software includes its own driver within the application.

Back in the Windows 95-98 days (and maybe early XP) monitors needed "drivers" to tell Windows things like what the resolution and refresh rate capabilities were for the display. All of that is done automatically these days over the "data portions" of HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI connections.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the Dell UP2718Q has hardware calibration with internal LUT. Process is run using x-rite’s Dell Ultrasharp calibration software module. Everything seems to be working fine and displayed correctly in Lightroom provided I also set the post cal ICC file as Windows default in Color Management.

Just a bit irritating that monitor shows up as a generic plug and play monitor in Windows and I can’t install the Dell driver. Encouraging to hear that it probably doesn’t matter.

Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +8 more
johnnyandedgar Regular Member • Posts: 333

If it's working fine why do anything? Let go and just enjoy.

johnnyandedgar

johnnyandedgar wrote:

If it's working fine why do anything? Let go and just enjoy.

johnnyandedgar

Everything “seems“ to be working fine as far as I can tell, but wondering if actual Dell driver would bring some additional benefit? More than anything don’t know why Windows 10 is preventing me from installing the Dell driver, telling me that the Windows generic PnP monitor driver is most suitable driver. I would have thought I could override this and force Dell driver installation, but have not found a way. Don’t worry this is not preventing me from enjoying my new monitor, but would like to understand.

SC489 Senior Member • Posts: 1,198

Use 7z to open the Dell .exe installation file. Use Open Inside then copy the installation files to anther folder. Use Device Manger to manually install the driver by navigating to the .inf file which you will find somewhere in the unpacked files.

Once installed you need to prevent Windows 10 reverting to what it thinks is a better driver. I use this method https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/146562-prevent-windows-update-updating-specific-device-driver.html

SC489's gear list:SC489's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more

SC489 wrote:

Use 7z to open the Dell .exe installation file. Use Open Inside then copy the installation files to anther folder. Use Device Manger to manually install the driver by navigating to the .inf file which you will find somewhere in the unpacked files.

Once installed you need to prevent Windows 10 reverting to what it thinks is a better driver. I use this method https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/146562-prevent-windows-update-updating-specific-device-driver.html

Thanks, pretty detailed stuff. I tried, but ended up locking myself out from being able to install driver. Reverted settings in group policy editor and back to square 1. Windows still determines that best driver is already installed, that is the generic PnP driver... Will try again with  fresh brain tomorrow

RMcL wrote:

SC489 wrote:

Once installed you need to prevent Windows 10 reverting to what it thinks is a better driver. I use this method https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/146562-prevent-windows-update-updating-specific-device-driver.html

Thanks, pretty detailed stuff. I tried, but ended up locking myself out from being able to install driver. Reverted settings in group policy editor and back to square 1. Windows still determines that best driver is already installed, that is the generic PnP driver... Will try again with fresh brain tomorrow

Disconnect from the internet first to stop Windows updating the driver. Install the Dell driver as above then block the Dell driver just installed from being updated using Group Policy as above. Now reconnect the internet. You will not be able to change the driver until you unblock the update.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more

SC489 wrote:

RMcL wrote:

SC489 wrote:

Thanks, pretty detailed stuff. I tried, but ended up locking myself out from being able to install driver. Reverted settings in group policy editor and back to square 1. Windows still determines that best driver is already installed, that is the generic PnP driver... Will try again with fresh brain tomorrow

Disconnect from the internet first to stop Windows updating the driver. Install the Dell driver as above then block the Dell driver just installed from being updated using Group Policy as above. Now reconnect the internet. You will not be able to change the driver until you unblock the update.

Thanks, I’ll give it a go, but so far I’m not even able to install the Dell driver in the first place. It was installed in the very beginning when I got the monitor a few days ago, but then a Windows update must have overridden it. Now Dell driver install just bails saying Windows has determined that a better driver is already installed.... Will try disconnecting internet to see if it helps.

RMcL wrote:

SC489 wrote:

RMcL wrote:

SC489 wrote:

Thanks, I’ll give it a go, but so far I’m not even able to install the Dell driver in the first place. It was installed in the very beginning when I got the monitor a few days ago, but then a Windows update must have overridden it. Now Dell driver install just bails saying Windows has determined that a better driver is already installed.... Will try disconnecting internet to see if it helps.

Install it via device manager as advised

SC489 wrote:

RMcL wrote:

SC489 wrote:

RMcL wrote:

SC489 wrote:

Install it via device manager as advised

Thanks, I did try that and made no difference. That said, as of today the Dell driver is now installed! Don’t know how, but when I was performing a monitor cal using Dell DuCS the program hung and so I had to force a restart. When PC restarted it seemed that there had been some sort of reset. My calibrated ICC profiles were missing in color management list and the Dell monitor was showing up properly as Dell UP2718Q instead of being listed as a generic PnP monitor...

Still haven’t made changes to protect the driver in group policy editor, but will look into that. Thanks for those links by the way, I had no previous knowledge about group policy editor and the likes, so learning something here!

Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,678

SC489 wrote:

Another slightly simpler way is to use wushowhide.diagcab. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window. The download link is at the bottom - "Download the troubleshooter".

This enables you to suppress the download of specific drivers.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Many thanks guys!

That's it. I'm all set up now. Dell monitor driver installed and used group policy editor to prevent any possible installation of new drivers during Windows update. Lucky I have Windows 10 Pro as I wouldn't have wanted to use the registry based approach.

So, thanks for the help. Mission accomplished.

Re: Many thanks guys!

RMcL wrote:

That's it. I'm all set up now. Dell monitor driver installed and used group policy editor to prevent any possible installation of new drivers during Windows update. Lucky I have Windows 10 Pro as I wouldn't have wanted to use the registry based approach.

So, thanks for the help. Mission accomplished.

Well done and you have learned something. 

SantaFeBill Veteran Member • Posts: 3,037
Re: But Why ...

... should all this be necessary? In Win7, with automatic updates turned off, I could just not dl a suggested driver and keep using the latest one dl'd from the OEM site.

I do appreciate all the information here - no doubt I will also have to use it to to try to make Win10 allow me to use the drivers I want - but it's absurd that such measures are necessary.

SantaFeBill wrote:

... should all this be necessary? In Win7, with automatic updates turned off, I could just not dl a suggested driver and keep using the latest one dl'd from the OEM site.

I do appreciate all the information here - no doubt I will also have to use it to to try to make Win10 allow me to use the drivers I want - but it's absurd that such measures are necessary.

Yeah, basically you have to have Win 10 Pro to get group policy editor and need to be an IT administrator to boot 😊. In the end wasn’t too bad though and learned something in the process.

Honestly still don’t know exactly how I managed to finally get the Dell driver to re-install. I did try multiple times installing via device manager and it refused to install the Dell driver. I somehow got the driver back after I had to force a shutdown during a hung monitor calibration attempt. This seemed to perhaps cause some kind of reset or system recovery to an earlier state?

Pretty sure problem was caused by a Windows update in the first place though. When I first installed monitor I managed to install the Dell driver, but later that day there was in fact a big Windows update. I then later noticed that the Dell monitor was named “default PnP monitor” in system properties and I was unable to reinstall the Dell driver. So this part likely makes sense at-least.

Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 14,733

SantaFeBill wrote:

Have you tried simply turning automatic driver updates off?

Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 1,726

But why did you feel the compulsion to install this driver at all? Was it just one of those “I’m going to defeat you!” situations with your computer? That’s certainly fine if it was. I’ve been there myself on occasion.

I just want to make sure you are clear that it’s highly likely there is no technical or functional reason you actually needed to install this driver. The odds are quite strong that the only thing it actually did for you was change Windows to display the text string “Dell UP2718Q” instead of “Generic PnP”.

Billiam29 wrote:

But why did you feel the compulsion to install this driver at all? Was it just one of those “I’m going to defeat you!” situations with your computer? That’s certainly fine if it was. I’ve been there myself on occasion.

I just want to make sure you are clear that it’s highly likely there is no technical or functional reason you actually needed to install this driver. The odds are quite strong that the only thing it actually did for you was change Windows to display the text string “Dell UP2718Q” instead of “Generic PnP”.

I’ve already explained this earlier in the thread. The Dell UP2718Q is a fairly high end, complex monitor with HW calibration capability, etc. Do you/we know for sure there would be no benefit in having the Dell native driver installed? So, that’s one thing, the second thing was why couldn’t I install the Dell driver? That became a question in itself that warranted figuring out. In the process I’ve learned more about Windows 10 OS. Yeah, I could have just ignored this and moved on, but there would have been no learning in that.

My question to you is why analyze my motives and interests here? 😊. Happy that one or two contributors here actually attempted to answer my questions. Now I’ve indulged you and given you an answer to your questions also 👍

Patco wrote:

SantaFeBill wrote:

Have you tried simply turning automatic driver updates off?

Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings

Maybe this works also? I’m relatively new to Windows 10, so wouldn’t know. Certainly the group policy editor route was slightly daunting at first, but really not that hard to understand eventually. It gives huge amount of flexibility on controlling exactly what devices/system elements may be changed or altered plus much more. Very powerful OS management tool.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads