* The Weekly Image Thread 20 06 28 #446 *

Started 2 months ago | Photos
bthomas001 Senior Member • Posts: 2,205
Re: RGB Filters

19andrew47 wrote:

A very interesting result Bruce. I don't think I have seen this effect used before. So how much of a time lapse between the three shots? Now when you say through rgb filters do you mean screw in glass filters or are we talking after the fact digital filters applied in post? I can see possibly doing this with an in camera bracket of three (or more) and then applying digital filters to the files and combining them, maybe.

In the old days, it was either 3 exposures on tripod via screw in filters and a...triple exposure.

...OR...

We also would make a homemade "drop through" filter out of Kodak test strip boxes. The box was thin and long...we would attach blank (for black out) then RGB filters in a row, You attached the box to the lens with the blank (blackout slide) in place, then open the shutter and let the RGB filters drop past the lens, for a quicker RGB sequence.

In digital days, just shoot 3 exposures in rapid sequence and make on R one G and one B then blend all three in Photoshop....some more examples, below:

Kodak used to publish quarterly "How to make better photograhs" pamphlets that they sold in photo shops....and instructions on how to make the Kodak Test Strip box "drop through" Harris Shutter was featured, one month.

Most examples of the Harris Shutter are poorly executed.

Mine are 'not so bad'

Rich Z wrote:

That's a neat effect, Bruce. I have filters for B&W from the old days. I might try that thanks to your tutorial. Those filters, and several more, have been screwed together with caps on either end for decades. I wonder if they'll unscrew. Rich

Hello Rich...

You can also shoot through the RGB filters that are screwed together, to block visible light...

Increase exposure by about 10 stops....and it looks like digital infrared!

dt27348
dt27348 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,439
Re: walk the line

A beautiful pastoral scene and a portrait of a handsome young man both shot with the 'plastic fantastic' lens. One of the best bargains ever.

Dave

dt27348's gear list:dt27348's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +1 more
dt27348
Re: * A nice Sunrise....

A nice sunrise indeed Roy. Haven't seen the sun here for a day or two. It's raining but the gardens need it badly. I could do fine without it.

Dave

Samsung GX-10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +1 more
dt27348
Re: Universal Studios: Harry Potter World pt2

Like the first Andrew. I see my mother in law is still flying around on her broomstick.

Dave

Palin0_0
Palin0_0 Senior Member • Posts: 1,215
Re: Looking Back ....

The first one is timeless, could be taken in the 50´s or last week......incredible....

-- hide signature --

The Best Camera is the one that you have on your Hands.

Palin0_0's gear list:Palin0_0's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +18 more
dt27348

An interesting technique Bruce and I have to say I quite like the results.

Dave

Palin0_0

It is a very interesting ˋtrick´....it’s amazing how in the film days we do fotograph......

-- hide signature --

dt27348
Re: Looking Back ....

A reminder of happier times WN. Hopefully things will get back to some normality for us all soon.

Take care and stay well.

Dave

Palin0_0
Re: walk the line

Seems like a very sunny day..hope you enjoy it very much

-- hide signature --

Palin0_0

Andrew , which one is the original, the others were in camera filters or computer fix...

-- hide signature --

dt27348
Lilies

It's been raining for the last few days. It happens every year at this time when the schools break up for the holidays. I received a new to me lens yesterday and despite the rain went into the garden to take a quick test shot. The lens is a Tokina 28-70mm ATX pro which must be over 20 years old. Seems OK.

Dave

Re: Lilies

Very Nice!

dt27348

Thanks Bruce. Can't wait to try it out properly but the weather is not cooperating at the moment.

Dave

meow Contributing Member • Posts: 706

bthomas001 wrote:

19andrew47 wrote:

A very interesting result Bruce. I don't think I have seen this effect used before. So how much of a time lapse between the three shots? Now when you say through rgb filters do you mean screw in glass filters or are we talking after the fact digital filters applied in post? I can see possibly doing this with an in camera bracket of three (or more) and then applying digital filters to the files and combining them, maybe.

In the old days, it was either 3 exposures on tripod via screw in filters and a...triple exposure.

...OR...

We also would make a homemade "drop through" filter out of Kodak test strip boxes. The box was thin and long...we would attach blank (for black out) then RGB filters in a row, You attached the box to the lens with the blank (blackout slide) in place, then open the shutter and let the RGB filters drop past the lens, for a quicker RGB sequence.

In digital days, just shoot 3 exposures in rapid sequence and make on R one G and one B then blend all three in Photoshop....some more examples, below:

Kodak used to publish quarterly "How to make better photograhs" pamphlets that they sold in photo shops....and instructions on how to make the Kodak Test Strip box "drop through" Harris Shutter was featured, one month.

Most examples of the Harris Shutter are poorly executed.

Mine are 'not so bad'

I think they are cool! Must try that some time.

meow's gear list:meow's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
abiquiuense
abiquiuense Senior Member • Posts: 5,969
"Nature's Miners," on the XZ-2.

Root beer bottle migrated onto this treasure. These boulders originate in the lode quartz to the West of Taos and East of Tierra Amarilla, NM. Erosion separates them and human miners separate the veins, harvesting them, near Hopewell Lake, Tres Piedras, NM. In geological time, erosion brought them twenty +/- miles south, to the North Bank, of the Río Chama, where nature's miners bring them up. And, land speculators, harvested the particulates, along the Chama, just above my home, using placer techniques. I've documented the placer pits left behind around 1880.

Thank you very much, Member and Host 19andrew47. Love the Baby Moons on your "troquita." I borrowed the English word.

David

What flower is this?

Unidentified flower in our backyard...anyone know what it is?

19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,489

The last is close to the original but still manipulated in post. I think I have only used an in camera ‘art filter’ once, ever!  Quite a bit of processing to get the first. All done in PSP and Nik Color Efex. I may use an image straight from the camera one time out of one thousand. Even that may be more often than actual Roy.

Andrew

19andrew47

Thanks Dave. I hope your MIL does not follow your posts here!

Andrew

19andrew47

Looks good Dave. We used to have lilies like those but they did not survive.

Andrew

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads