My favorite subject: Wildflowers/Dramatic Light

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
jmw4
jmw4 Contributing Member • Posts: 824
My favorite subject: Wildflowers/Dramatic Light

The Invasive Purple Loosestrife. Tried to focus stack but it was windy which made it very difficult and time consuming trying to put the pieces together.

-- hide signature --

Long Distance Hiker: AT, PCT, CTx2, TMB, TRT
Galleries: www.jaredweberphotography.com
Instagram: Jared.M.Weber

Lan Senior Member • Posts: 2,069
Re: My favorite subject: Wildflowers/Dramatic Light

Very nice work Jared; I must admit I'm a big fan of flowers and dramatic light myself

Love this one - it's a shame that the Loosestrife flower, which is a key focal point, just isn't sharp? Is there any chance you could tweak an in focus floret shot into this version? If you can't manage it, but do have it, please feel free to post a copy of the in focus Loosestrife, and I'll give it a whack in PS for you, if you wish?

Stay well

jmw4
OP jmw4 Contributing Member • Posts: 824

Lan wrote:

Very nice work Jared; I must admit I'm a big fan of flowers and dramatic light myself

Love this one - it's a shame that the Loosestrife flower, which is a key focal point, just isn't sharp? Is there any chance you could tweak an in focus floret shot into this version? If you can't manage it, but do have it, please feel free to post a copy of the in focus Loosestrife, and I'll give it a whack in PS for you, if you wish?

Stay well

Yes, I do have frames where it is in focus, I’ll try to fix tonight! Like I said I was just excited to edit it so I ran through the edit pretty quickly.

-- hide signature --

richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,156

Beautiful! I am always on the lookout for such lighting. Well done.

- Richard

-- hide signature --
 richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony a7R II
David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 2,916

Absolutely amazing image

Great light, fantastic composition and wonderful post processing to produce a standout result.

Well done and thank you for sharing

David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Kazmarov Contributing Member • Posts: 651

Love the colours and the drama of the light, beautifully composed! As the other poster mentioned, it may be enhanced by the central point being sharper but a all the same a beautiful image!

Kazmarov's gear list:Kazmarov's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D90 Nikon D5500 Canon EOS 60D Nikon D7200 +10 more
b823s7 Forum Member • Posts: 85

Maybe I'm wrong but to me it looks like as the foreground flower cannot get direct light from the sun. Did you use a flash, reflector or other light source or did you lift the exposure in PP?

jmw4

b823s7 wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong but to me it looks like as the foreground flower cannot get direct light from the sun. Did you use a flash, reflector or other light source or did you lift the exposure in PP?

Lots of dodging and burning to help that foreground stand out!

-- hide signature --

NatureFiles
NatureFiles Regular Member • Posts: 383

jmw4 wrote:

b823s7 wrote:

Reminds me a lot of Nick Pages stuff. I'm sure to be in the minority here but to me, the foreground is over-processed a tad too much to be believable. I've been seeing this style a lot lately on instagram, shooting into the sun with dodged/burned foregrounds, maybe just not my cup of tea.

I do appreciate the composition and the effort involved behind the computer screen!

NatureFiles's gear list:NatureFiles's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 2,916

NatureFiles wrote:

jmw4 wrote:

b823s7 wrote:

Reminds me a lot of Nick Pages stuff. I'm sure to be in the minority here but to me, the foreground is over-processed a tad too much to be believable. I've been seeing this style a lot lately on instagram, shooting into the sun with dodged/burned foregrounds, maybe just not my cup of tea.

I do appreciate the composition and the effort involved behind the computer screen!

I believe the aim/goal of an image creator should be taken into account.

If the intent was to produce an image representing exactly what a photographer saw then clearly this image doesn't do that because the foreground flower is "lit" from above it when the sun is on the horizon.

To me, the intent for this image was to accentuate the foreground flower while "blending" it into the scene behind it. Maintaining total realism is clearly not the #1priority here imo.

As I see it, the intent here was to produce an "art" image while maintaining some reality and the op has done a wonderful job notwithstanding the flower it self is a little soft if viewed zoomed in.

David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
NatureFiles
NatureFiles Regular Member • Posts: 383

David1961 wrote:

NatureFiles wrote:

jmw4 wrote:

b823s7 wrote:

If the intent was to produce an image representing exactly what a photographer saw then clearly this image doesn't do that because the foreground flower is "lit" from above it when the sun is on the horizon.

To me, the intent for this image was to accentuate the foreground flower while "blending" it into the scene behind it. Maintaining total realism is clearly not the #1priority here imo.

As I see it, the intent here was to produce an "art" image while maintaining some reality and the op has done a wonderful job notwithstanding the flower it self is a little soft if viewed zoomed in.

You make a valid point. Ultimately, we all try to execute the vision in our head, whether it be documenting, realism, artistic, or something in between. No doubt the OP is well skilled in capturing his vision!

NatureFiles's gear list:NatureFiles's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
jmw4

NatureFiles wrote:

David1961 wrote:

NatureFiles wrote:

jmw4 wrote:

b823s7 wrote:

You make a valid point. Ultimately, we all try to execute the vision in our head, whether it be documenting, realism, artistic, or something in between. No doubt the OP is well skilled in capturing his vision!

Very well said both of you! I stopped trying to maintain 100% realism and started letting myself create images that were pleasing to my eye. With that being said, I tried to accentuate the parts of the scene that I liked at the time, so I did create this image in processing how ā€œIā€ saw it while photographing it. I think we all see things differently, but I knew when I was shooting this image exactly what my end goal was going to be.

-- hide signature --

zerored Regular Member • Posts: 274

Focus or not it is a lovely photograph!

b823s7 Forum Member • Posts: 85

jmw4 wrote:

b823s7 wrote:

I see! Thanks.

OlivCartes New Member • Posts: 1

great photo! The light is superbly used here.
Thank you for sharing

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads