3rd party battery problem in 5DMk4

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Muggo
Muggo Regular Member • Posts: 223
3rd party battery problem in 5DMk4

I have a couple of no name LP-E6 batteries from my old 6D.  In my 6D, they used to perform just as well as a genuine Canon one & allow me to take around 600 shots before recharge was required.  However, when I use these batteries in my new 5DMk4, they go flat in approx 85 shots.   The Canon charger says they are fully charged before use.

The camera reports 3 green bars on each suggesting the batteries are in good condition,  but I'm only getting about 15% actual performance.  I have a genuine Canon battery (LP-E6N but only 2 green bars) that gives 600 shots plus.

What's going wrong please?  I don't plan to pay top price for a spare genuine Canon one, so what make of 3rd party battery will solve my problem?  Should I believe the claims of greater battery capacity from some of the 3rd party ones?

 Muggo's gear list:Muggo's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,823
Re: 3rd party battery problem in 5DMk4
1

Muggo wrote:

I have a couple of no name LP-E6 batteries from my old 6D. In my 6D, they used to perform just as well as a genuine Canon one & allow me to take around 600 shots before recharge was required. However, when I use these batteries in my new 5DMk4, they go flat in approx 85 shots. The Canon charger says they are fully charged before use.

The camera reports 3 green bars on each suggesting the batteries are in good condition, but I'm only getting about 15% actual performance. I have a genuine Canon battery (LP-E6N but only 2 green bars) that gives 600 shots plus.

What's going wrong please? I don't plan to pay top price for a spare genuine Canon one, so what make of 3rd party battery will solve my problem? Should I believe the claims of greater battery capacity from some of the 3rd party ones?

I own two 5D IV bodies with grips (four batteries). When the OM batteries died, I replaced them with RAVPower batteries and they work just fine.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Muggo
OP Muggo Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: 3rd party battery problem in 5DMk4

hotdog321 wrote:

Muggo wrote:

I have a couple of no name LP-E6 batteries from my old 6D. In my 6D, they used to perform just as well as a genuine Canon one & allow me to take around 600 shots before recharge was required. However, when I use these batteries in my new 5DMk4, they go flat in approx 85 shots. The Canon charger says they are fully charged before use.

The camera reports 3 green bars on each suggesting the batteries are in good condition, but I'm only getting about 15% actual performance. I have a genuine Canon battery (LP-E6N but only 2 green bars) that gives 600 shots plus.

What's going wrong please? I don't plan to pay top price for a spare genuine Canon one, so what make of 3rd party battery will solve my problem? Should I believe the claims of greater battery capacity from some of the 3rd party ones?

I own two 5D IV bodies with grips (four batteries). When the OM batteries died, I replaced them with RAVPower batteries and they work just fine.

Thanks for the info.

I see RAVPower claim 2040mAh compared with 1800 for LP-E6 or slightly more for N version.  Would you say you get 15% more shots in practice or is it just marketing spin?

 Muggo's gear list:Muggo's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +6 more
jpegman
jpegman Senior Member • Posts: 1,243
Re: 3rd party battery problem in 5DMk4

I use Watson and ProMaster batteries in my 6D and 6Dmk2 interchangeably  with Canon OEM batteries.

 jpegman's gear list:jpegman's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Muggo
OP Muggo Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: 3rd party battery problem in 5DMk4

jpegman wrote:

I use Watson and ProMaster batteries in my 6D and 6Dmk2 interchangeably with Canon OEM batteries.

Thanks. These batteries worked fine with my 6D, but don't perform in my 5Dmk4. I was wondering why.

 Muggo's gear list:Muggo's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +6 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 3,661
Re: 3rd party battery problem in 5DMk4

Muggo wrote:

I have a couple of no name LP-E6 batteries from my old 6D. In my 6D, they used to perform just as well as a genuine Canon one & allow me to take around 600 shots before recharge was required. However, when I use these batteries in my new 5DMk4, they go flat in approx 85 shots. The Canon charger says they are fully charged before use.

I didn't think a Canon charger actually charged most 3rd party batteries, but I may be wrong as I don't own any 3rd party batteries to test it with.

I do recall others saying that the batteries don't charge properly. Do you have your 3rd party charger that came with the batteries ?

The camera reports 3 green bars on each suggesting the batteries are in good condition, but I'm only getting about 15% actual performance. I have a genuine Canon battery (LP-E6N but only 2 green bars) that gives 600 shots plus.

The bars would indicate battery health, not charge level, so if the batteries are healthy, but not charging fully, that might explain the short life.

What's going wrong please? I don't plan to pay top price for a spare genuine Canon one, so what make of 3rd party battery will solve my problem? Should I believe the claims of greater battery capacity from some of the 3rd party ones?

No, most 3rd party battery capacity claims (and not just camera batteries) are complete fiction. It is like seeing the claims of 2500mAh for a little A123 rechargeable (I use them in my old Arlo cameras) - complete nonsense - the best you will get from a reputable brand A123 is about 700mAh - 2500mAh is pure fiction. Camera batteries are not much different.

Colin

 Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
Muggo
OP Muggo Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: 3rd party battery problem in 5DMk4

Andy01 wrote:

Muggo wrote:

I have a couple of no name LP-E6 batteries from my old 6D. In my 6D, they used to perform just as well as a genuine Canon one & allow me to take around 600 shots before recharge was required. However, when I use these batteries in my new 5DMk4, they go flat in approx 85 shots. The Canon charger says they are fully charged before use.

I didn't think a Canon charger actually charged most 3rd party batteries, but I may be wrong as I don't own any 3rd party batteries to test it with.

I do recall others saying that the batteries don't charge properly. Do you have your 3rd party charger that came with the batteries ?

The camera reports 3 green bars on each suggesting the batteries are in good condition, but I'm only getting about 15% actual performance. I have a genuine Canon battery (LP-E6N but only 2 green bars) that gives 600 shots plus.

The bars would indicate battery health, not charge level, so if the batteries are healthy, but not charging fully, that might explain the short life.

What's going wrong please? I don't plan to pay top price for a spare genuine Canon one, so what make of 3rd party battery will solve my problem? Should I believe the claims of greater battery capacity from some of the 3rd party ones?

No, most 3rd party battery capacity claims (and not just camera batteries) are complete fiction. It is like seeing the claims of 2500mAh for a little A123 rechargeable (I use them in my old Arlo cameras) - complete nonsense - the best you will get from a reputable brand A123 is about 700mAh - 2500mAh is pure fiction. Camera batteries are not much different.

Colin

Thanks Colin. I have a 3rd party charger I could try to see if that gives more charge than the Canon charger. The Canon one does indicate it's fully charged, but the camera seems to contradict that. I'll try it and report back.

 Muggo's gear list:Muggo's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +6 more
David Yule Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: 3rd party battery problem in 5DMk4

I've got a couple of BAXXTAR PRO-ENERGY batteries which claim to be 2040mAh and a Duracell DR9943 which claims to be 1600 mAh. I think the BAXXTARs give about 70% of the number of shots as a Canon LP-E6N and the Duracell about 50%. The batteries were about the same price, and much cheaper than Canon batteries, so I'm happy enough with the BAXXTARs.

I think the 5DMk4 probably uses more power than older cameras. I certainly got much better battery life with a 7DMk1 when using Canon or clone batteries than I do with the 5DMk4.

-- hide signature --

David

RHWeber
RHWeber Contributing Member • Posts: 618
Re: 3rd party battery problem in 5DMk4

I only use Canon batteries in my cameras. I never have a problem and they seem to last a long time. I do understand trying to save money on a battery that will last a long time when spending thousands of dollars on expensive camera equipment. It makes no sense to me.

-- hide signature --

bweberphotographs.com
bweberphotography@mac.com

 RHWeber's gear list:RHWeber's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R +8 more
nail33 Contributing Member • Posts: 855
Re: 3rd party battery problem in 5DMk4

I use Wasabi and the original Canon battery in my 6D. Both have worked just fine over the years. I do, however, make sure to charge each battery with their own specific chargers, as I've heard that you should. If you still have your 6D, see if your third party battery still works as it has in the past. If so, then maybe there is something different in the circuitry between the two cameras and/or the battery chargers. These are the Wasabi that I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Replacement-Batteries-Charger/dp/B0049XGNKK/ref=pd_lpo_421_t_0/137-3736676-9807760?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0049XGNKK&pd_rd_r=621eabbb-26a0-4692-9424-b3c46a350af2&pd_rd_w=z2c7i&pd_rd_wg=UAWSW&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=Z3ATEB0ZGH90B3PN2Y21&psc=1&refRID=Z3ATEB0ZGH90B3PN2Y21

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 3,661
Re: 3rd party battery problem in 5DMk4
1

RHWeber wrote:

I only use Canon batteries in my cameras. I never have a problem and they seem to last a long time. I do understand trying to save money on a battery that will last a long time when spending thousands of dollars on expensive camera equipment. It makes no sense to me.

I bought a spare Canon LP-E6 (not N) in 2014 as a spare for my then new 70D. I still use it as the spare for my 6D ii, and although it shows as 1 red bar "health" on my 6D ii now, I can still get over 1500 shots with it. I always alternate my batteries so it has seen similar use to the original 70D LP-E6 and the original 6D ii LP-E6N.

To me that was money well spent - an extra few dollars on a battery that has lasted 6 years so far and still going strong. On a "per year" basis, it probably cost me an extra $4-5/year to buy a genuine Canon (and that gets less with every year).

Colin

 Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
Muggo
OP Muggo Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: 3rd party battery problem in 5DMk4

Muggo wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

Muggo wrote:

I have a couple of no name LP-E6 batteries from my old 6D. In my 6D, they used to perform just as well as a genuine Canon one & allow me to take around 600 shots before recharge was required. However, when I use these batteries in my new 5DMk4, they go flat in approx 85 shots. The Canon charger says they are fully charged before use.

I didn't think a Canon charger actually charged most 3rd party batteries, but I may be wrong as I don't own any 3rd party batteries to test it with.

I do recall others saying that the batteries don't charge properly. Do you have your 3rd party charger that came with the batteries ?

The camera reports 3 green bars on each suggesting the batteries are in good condition, but I'm only getting about 15% actual performance. I have a genuine Canon battery (LP-E6N but only 2 green bars) that gives 600 shots plus.

The bars would indicate battery health, not charge level, so if the batteries are healthy, but not charging fully, that might explain the short life.

What's going wrong please? I don't plan to pay top price for a spare genuine Canon one, so what make of 3rd party battery will solve my problem? Should I believe the claims of greater battery capacity from some of the 3rd party ones?

No, most 3rd party battery capacity claims (and not just camera batteries) are complete fiction. It is like seeing the claims of 2500mAh for a little A123 rechargeable (I use them in my old Arlo cameras) - complete nonsense - the best you will get from a reputable brand A123 is about 700mAh - 2500mAh is pure fiction. Camera batteries are not much different.

Colin

Thanks Colin. I have a 3rd party charger I could try to see if that gives more charge than the Canon charger. The Canon one does indicate it's fully charged, but the camera seems to contradict that. I'll try it and report back.

I tried with my 3rd party charger & it made no difference.  Guess I'll have to try a new battery & see how that works out.

 Muggo's gear list:Muggo's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +6 more
Muggo
OP Muggo Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: 3rd party battery problem in 5DMk4

nail33 wrote:

I use Wasabi and the original Canon battery in my 6D. Both have worked just fine over the years. I do, however, make sure to charge each battery with their own specific chargers, as I've heard that you should. If you still have your 6D, see if your third party battery still works as it has in the past. If so, then maybe there is something different in the circuitry between the two cameras and/or the battery chargers. These are the Wasabi that I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Replacement-Batteries-Charger/dp/B0049XGNKK/ref=pd_lpo_421_t_0/137-3736676-9807760?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0049XGNKK&pd_rd_r=621eabbb-26a0-4692-9424-b3c46a350af2&pd_rd_w=z2c7i&pd_rd_wg=UAWSW&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=Z3ATEB0ZGH90B3PN2Y21&psc=1&refRID=Z3ATEB0ZGH90B3PN2Y21

I don't have my old 6D to try them with.  I've tried 2 different chargers but can't get a full charge showing when in the camera.  I'm planning on buying another couple of 3rd party batteries & send them back if I get the same problem.

 Muggo's gear list:Muggo's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +6 more
Muggo
OP Muggo Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: 3rd party battery problem in 5DMk4

David Yule wrote:

I've got a couple of BAXXTAR PRO-ENERGY batteries which claim to be 2040mAh and a Duracell DR9943 which claims to be 1600 mAh. I think the BAXXTARs give about 70% of the number of shots as a Canon LP-E6N and the Duracell about 50%. The batteries were about the same price, and much cheaper than Canon batteries, so I'm happy enough with the BAXXTARs.

I think the 5DMk4 probably uses more power than older cameras. I certainly got much better battery life with a 7DMk1 when using Canon or clone batteries than I do with the 5DMk4.

Thanks David.  I'm going to try new 3rd party batteries & return if they don't work as described.  No way will I shell out for genuine ones.

 Muggo's gear list:Muggo's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads